Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2022, 08:56 AM   #99

It sounds like the Raptor doesn't have a normal transfer case that you can put in neutral. All they have to do is state that towing is not an option with this vehicle.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2022, 04:55 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor58 View Post
Dec. 2020, I also have a similar situation after flat towing my new

Raptor 300+ miles it suddenly burst into flames catching my new Dutch Star on fire destroying all contents. I had replacement value insurance on both vehicles but since we were 4 years full-time RV'ers, no homeowner's insurance. Vehicle insurance doesn't cover personal property. The Raptor was destroyed so Ford claimed they were not responsible. Insurance investigator said Ford was blaming AF1 after-market braking system. I spoke to both the installer (Newmar Dealership) and AF1 ownership and they informed me their system could never fail and cause a fire, especially since we have video of the fire coming from under the hood. We lost over $120,000 in property, plus there were no more Raptors made in 2021, so I was not able to replace it or one of kind personal belongings. I was also forced to rent several homes through Airbnb, etc. It would have taken nearly a year to receive a replacement customized Newmar coach. My insurance investigator said this was the 7th Raptor fire they knew of; all burnt to the ground due to aluminum materials achieving high temperatures, leaving no information available to the Ford investigators to determine a mechanical cause.

I have found a large firm that recently won a class action case against Ford that is reviewing my case.

I’m curious how many miles you had towed before the truck caught fire? My F 150 had both engine and transmission destroyed with high heat on the transmission internals. I would be interested in joining class action.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
It sounds like the Raptor doesn't have a normal transfer case that you can put in neutral. All they have to do is state that towing is not an option with this vehicle.

Well, by “normal, if you mean a “manual” lever style transfer case, then no…it doesn’t.
But, fact is, the Raptor has a kick-a$$ 4WD system including a full blown “transfer case” and “locking rear end”.

The Raptor has a neutral tow mode which is activated electrically. Once selected, the transfer case is in Neutral, just like a manual case is.

The fact is, just like many other modern systems, it’s “electronic”. But that doesn’t mean it’s not normal, just as fuel injection can be considered normal.

Hope that answers your question.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:25 PM   #102

Email me about the class action suit.Thomasbeaubien@hotmail.com
Tbeau1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:54 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Well, by “normal, if you mean a “manual” lever style transfer case, then no…it doesn’t.
But, fact is, the Raptor has a kick-a$$ 4WD system including a full blown “transfer case” and “locking rear end”.

The Raptor has a neutral tow mode which is activated electrically. Once selected, the transfer case is in Neutral, just like a manual case is.

The fact is, just like many other modern systems, it’s “electronic”. But that doesn’t mean it’s not normal, just as fuel injection can be considered normal.

Hope that answers your question.
I don't believe they were actually asking a question.

The 2017+ Raptor uses a Borg Warner ITM xfer case that works in conjunction with the front Torsen differential. I know that the xfer case Forscan coding is different for a Raptor vs F-150 due to that.
I suspect the Torsen diff may be the root cause of these fires in that it could keep the front shaft spinning and possibly affect the idled case. Which in turn could affect the tranny and then the engine.
I also believe the BG ITM xfer case is installed in the 3.5HO equipped F-150's but I don't think those trucks have the Torsen front diff. I wonder if there are any 3.5HO non-Raptor F-150 fires out there?
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:39 AM   #104

please email me at VCHL2022@gmail.com to exchange contact info.
Jeff
Raptor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I don't believe they were actually asking a question.

The 2017+ Raptor uses a Borg Warner ITM xfer case that works in conjunction with the front Torsen differential. I know that the xfer case Forscan coding is different for a Raptor vs F-150 due to that.
I suspect the Torsen diff may be the root cause of these fires in that it could keep the front shaft spinning and possibly affect the idled case. Which in turn could affect the tranny and then the engine.
I also believe the BG ITM xfer case is installed in the 3.5HO equipped F-150's but I don't think those trucks have the Torsen front diff. I wonder if there are any 3.5HO non-Raptor F-150 fires out there?

I was addressing the statement of “it sounds like the Raptor doesn’t use normal transfer case that can be put into Neutral.”, which sure does pose a question or statement that needs clarification.

You post some more good info as well about the front diff.

In a vacuum…It’s too bad we’re left to speculate as a bunch of armchair quarterbacks when inspectors and engineers for insurance, Fire, manufacturer, and NHSTA are all over these fires to determine the cause and prevention.

Frustrating, to say the least.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:50 AM   #106

Raptor Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
I’m curious how many miles you had towed before the truck caught fire? My F 150 had both engine and transmission destroyed with high heat on the transmission internals. I would be interested in joining class action.
I had traveled 300+ miles prior to the Raptor catching fire. My email is desertresort2022@gmail.com
Raptor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:34 PM   #107

**Raptor Owners Beware**

This happened Monday, February 13, 2023 just outside of Hamilton, TX on HWY 281. Our 2017 Raptor was in Neutral Tow behind a 2012 Monaco Dynasty. We have been traveling for approximately 2-2.5 hrs. and my husband noticed smoke coming from the hood of the truck. He immediately tried to find a place to to pull over. We had friends following us in their motorcoach. They called shortly after we noticed, that could see smoke coming from the truck. Long story short, my husband used 3 fire extinguishers to try and contain the fire that was coming from where the fan and radiator are located. When he realized that the fire could not be contained and 911 was called immediately after we stopped. My husband pulled the pin to the Roadmaster Nighthawk from the motorcoach and pulled forward a safe distance till the Fire Department arrived. NOW...…This is the kicker to the whole story and why I am interested to whomever this may have happened to. The firefighter asked "Is that a Raptor? You are the 3rd Raptor flat towing we have had to put a fire out on this road. Last one lost their motorcoach." That statement alone raises alarm to a possible problem with FORD.
My husband and I are seasoned RV travelers. I personally can put the Raptor in Neutral Tow in my sleep. When we hook up, my husband pushes the truck back to put tension on the tow bar and I walk behind while he his driving for quite a sometime to watch lights, the tow bar, tow hooks, pins, wheels turning and etc. Also, my husband is a Master Diesel Technician and worked for Ford 10 plus years prior and we currently own a diesel repair facility that has been in business for 16 years. He is very knowledgeable and very cautious every time we take off. Checks over everything every time we stop, to the point I get irritated. I have learned a huge lesson, you can never be to cautious. Needless to say, I have filed a claim with Ford and Department of Transportation. This matter needs to be addressed before someone doesn't make it out alive!!!
YoungMis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, ford, tow