Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2022, 09:25 AM   #85
NXR

I don't know which variant of the F-150 a "Raptor" is so I just picked one of the 4WD ones from the NHTSA site: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/F...U%25252FRC/4WD

12 recalls, 153 consumer complaints, and 250 Manufacturer Communications (the TSBs issued by Ford).

There may be something of value in there but it will take some time to look at every one. The "Complaints" section are people's own words and some of those may have a clue regardless of the section they filed under.

HTH,

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 09:28 AM   #86

Here it is. Ford flat tow doc (2)-1.pdf
Old 08-17-2022, 09:39 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it said its in tow mode, I would go with what the computer said. Sorry to hear about your fire.

I do know in the years of towing. Twice i thought I was ready to go. Both times I had something interrupt me when setting up. Once on a tow dolly. Ebrake was not full released. When I stopped wheel was hot bearing and brake was shot and abs sensor failed .
After that we do it as a team and double check each other's work. We went to flat towing DW found I did not release the brake one time.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:46 AM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
IIRC the 'second' point might not be correct. In a trial setting where liability is being determined, I believe the defendant is not able to raise the issue of insurance coverage without causing a mistrial. So if there were a way to prove by a preponderance that Ford is liable, they could potentially be held liable for the entire loss (even the part that insurance covered).
Your right. But if ford pays you what the insurance paid you for. The insurance co entitled to it. You can keep the diffrence, or any additional lost determined.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:57 AM   #89

I tow an Escape and take a picture of the dash computer every morning showing it is in proper tow mode.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:51 AM   #90

I am going to start videoing the procedure when I place my F-150 into flat tow mode. I also have a charge line to keep the battery from going dead.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Ford has a bulletin out that says they will not warranty blown 10 speed transmissions that have been towed.
Couldn't find it.....

Have a link or better search question to find it on the net?
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
Couldn't find it.....

Have a link or better search question to find it on the net?
Yea.... I can't find anything on that either.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:27 PM   #93

The DW and I are arguing over ordering a new Bronco with a 7-speed manual vs 10-speed automatic . She insists she’s too old to go back to a manual but I don’t want to risk flat towing the automatic. She rarely drives anyway. This would replace our 4wd Excursion as a toad (which I have to drop the driveshaft to tow) and her Mustang convertible as her rarely driven personal vehicle.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:59 PM   #94

Ford General Service Bulletin 22-7086Ford flat tow doc (2)-1-3.pdf
Old 08-19-2022, 05:47 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Ford General Service Bulletin 22-7086Attachment 374054
Thanks!

I wonder if the vehicle records whether the vehicle is in neutral tow mode? Could it be made to do so.

Other that that, this would be a "he said, she said" type argument looking for warranty coverage.

Possible class action? Guess it depends on just what percentage of failures are operator error.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #96

Ford Raptor Flat Tow Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
Thanks!

I wonder if the vehicle records whether the vehicle is in neutral tow mode? Could it be made to do so.

Other that that, this would be a "he said, she said" type argument looking for warranty coverage.

Possible class action? Guess it depends on just what percentage of failures are operator error.

I think the problem is going to be the customer proving that they did the process correctly. At this point it seems Ford is claiming if there was a failure it was the customers fault. No chance of them admitting a computer or electronic glitch is possible, and doubtful anyone could ever prove it is. $Millions at stake here.

Watching the youtube channel offroad rescue, Matt mentioned that just because the computer tells the operator the t-case is in 4wd, glitches happen, and He has found that sometimes the indicators are wrong. I would assume this can happen for neutral tow mode also.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #97

Raptor

I totally understand why it would be so much fun to have a Raptor with you on your travels, For fun in ways that is far from average...They are so capable and absolutely fun!!!

Having said that, I attended the Raptor Assult (paid for by Ford), when I purchased my Raptor. This is a 2 day Ford training school in Tooele, UT at the Ford Racing and proving grounds. Two days of Baja courses, Mountain Climbing, Jumping, racing, etc. etc. The technology in the Raptor is stunning. As mentioned before, Electronic active suspension, over 216 electronic circuits controlling countless sensors. The subject of flat towing never came up in this racing school, but I remember one participant hitting off of a jump hard enough that his Raptor went into the self controlling accent mode. The Raptor is NOT just another truck. It is very unique.

I think that Ford in some ways downplays the sophistication of this vehicle. It can be very intimidating. Is it possible to flat tow a Ford Raptor? Well, yes it is, by virtue of so many doing it. Is it the best for the job? Well, not even close. So much can go wrong, and does.
irtmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #98

Raptor Fire

Dec. 2020, I also have a similar situation after flat towing my new
Raptor 300+ miles it suddenly burst into flames catching my new Dutch Star on fire destroying all contents. I had replacement value insurance on both vehicles but since we were 4 years full-time RV'ers, no homeowner's insurance. Vehicle insurance doesn't cover personal property. The Raptor was destroyed so Ford claimed they were not responsible. Insurance investigator said Ford was blaming AF1 after-market braking system. I spoke to both the installer (Newmar Dealership) and AF1 ownership and they informed me their system could never fail and cause a fire, especially since we have video of the fire coming from under the hood. We lost over $120,000 in property, plus there were no more Raptors made in 2021, so I was not able to replace it or one of kind personal belongings. I was also forced to rent several homes through Airbnb, etc. It would have taken nearly a year to receive a replacement customized Newmar coach. My insurance investigator said this was the 7th Raptor fire they knew of; all burnt to the ground due to aluminum materials achieving high temperatures, leaving no information available to the Ford investigators to determine a mechanical cause.
I have found a large firm that recently won a class action case against Ford that is reviewing my case.
Raptor58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, ford, tow