Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

Full Size Bra for Ram Pickup?

I am looking for a source for a full size bras for my Ram pickup truck being setup as a towed. I have see some which are quick on/off and cover the entire front front of vehicle and the hood. Does anyone know a custom manufacturer?

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #2

Here is one company that is fairly popular. I gotta ask though, why do you need a full cover? These are not normal unless you plan to do a lot of gravel road towing. I tried the screens, guards, but finally removed the rear flap and now I don't use anything and the toad stays clean with no more rock chips.

P/S, I have talked to some that use the full shield and they tell me they cause more damage from rubbing than they prevent. You're choice.

Tow Car Shield
Old 04-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #3

Thank you for sharing the webpage and wisdom on the full car cover!

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

I would use caution with the self installed covers (similar to a bra) as they tend to collect dirt and scratch the paint. I had the clear cover installed on my Silverado and now on our new Escape. Have it on my Malibu as well and had an accident with the deer. I think the clear material actually save the nose piece on the car.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I will never install another bra on any car I own and will suggest to any that will heed my warning, it WILL change the paint in one or two ways...
1) will fade/age at a different rate if you leave it on all the time
2) microscopic (and worse) scratches as if you used sandpaper on it for a very long time....

I also am heeding the suggestion of some to take the rear rock catcher off as it seems to drag and flip more stuff up evidenced by how in the world did the stuff in the last pic get into my air cleaner when the intake is 12 plus feet in the air (see pics below)?

my only idea is that the rock catcher flipped the small rocks and sand onto the jeep and the collapsing air behind the rv pulled it up into the intake ?!?
here's a video of what the thing does on the back - all the reflections are when it flips and bounces around - each time an opportunity to flip up whatever is on the road:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirIntake.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	123700   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-15 010.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	123701  

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I removed the long flap from the rear. I have smaller ones behind the rear tires. I feel the only benefit to the full length one is somebody made a good dollar off it.

Also I find it just swirls up the road scum. Just get out on the road and follow one . You will see what I mean!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #7

We've used Coastline Covers on two pickup toads since about 2007. We run a lot more miles each year than most RV'ers run in a decade. We've put 60,000 miles on the 2013 Bus and put 75,000 miles on a former 2008 Bus. We winter in the southwest each year and spend every other summer in Alaska. All these miles have been towing bra covered pickups. Over that time we probably average about 100 miles a year on dirt and gravel roads.

With all those miles we have had NO problems with paint damage on either of the two pickups we've pulled with our Coastline bra's. Both pickups were bought new. Yes, you have to remove the bra's and clean them, especially when traveling on dirt and gravel, but a properly fitted and cleaned cover will cause NO paint damage. It takes one person about 5 minutes to put one of these covers on and about the same to remove them. When they get very wet after a day or more of running in the rain, they do need to be removed, cleaned and dried. A campsite picnic table seems to be made for this chore and once home we give them a thorough cleaning with a garden hose and brush.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #8

JohnBoyToo,
The rear flap has been discussed many times in this forum. I and many others who have removed it completely will testify that the toad stays cleaner, the rear of the coach stays cleaner and there are no more stone chips on the toad.
That is fact.
Others will tell you that you need to raise the flap to a minimum of 4 - 6" off the ground at travel height. I tried that prior to our trip to Alaska and can tell you the toad was a mess every day until I ditched the flap in Whitehorse. Problem solved.
The Key to all this is the flaps directly behind the duals set so they just clear when the air bags are dumped. No need for any further protection.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have used the coastline cover since 20010 on two different trucks and have had no problems. I do take it off as soon as I get to where iam going.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My brother-in-law used the Coastline cover on a Chevrolet Colorado. The problem with them is that they get filthy if you have a rear radiator DP. All the dirt and dust from the DP gets all over the cover and makes it a mess to handle. On those occasions where you just want to disconnect and move the toad for an overnight stop, you have to pull the cover down just so you can drive.

I wouldn't own one with a rear radiator DP.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That's the idea of the cover to keep the grime off the vehicle. If its dirty I just wash it while still on the truck. I do agree though that the rear rad. blows a lot of crap back towards the vehicle. Before I started using the cover the windshield was getting sand blasted, you could see when the light shined through the windshield on a sunny day.