Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #1

Gas Class A Drop Receiver hitch

Howdy y'all!

For those with Class A gas coaches flat towing I have a question. Using a tow bar, have you had any issues using a drop down receiver on your coach? Is the drop down so low you have dragged it before, etc? Anything to look out for overall?

My new gas coach hitch is too high (they all are really) so ordered a 8" drop and now making sure others have not had issue or can share any gotchas.

Thanks in advance!
Paul L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #2

We use a weight Dist. hitch on MH to tow a trailer for one of our Classic cars to shows and you are right the stock hitch height to too high so had to use a drop to get down enough. Bought one and getting out of drive it scraped and upon trying to get back into drive it stopped the coach. I had to cut about 2 inches off. You just have to play with it and see what works. Can be a real PITA.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:14 PM   #3

My towbar was the perfect height on my Class C. On the Bay Star I had to use a 4 inch drop. On steep driveways it has dragged once or twice.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #4

Our drop hitch has hit the pavement once when backing into an inclined driveway. It has also hit the ground when pulling off our driveway when leaving for a trip. So, after that, we are pretty careful when entering and leaving fueling stations or anywhere that has an incline or decline pulling out of parking lots.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #5

I use an 8” drop and yes you need to be very mindful of it. The worst I have done so far was gouging a church parking lot. . . On my next trip that way I took some bagged asphalt and repaired the gouge. The pastor never answered my email about paying for the damage.

You will quickly learn what dips and inclines will be problems and avoid, adjust, or come in at an angle as needed. (You can often hit such dips/inclines at an angle and completely avoid dragging.)

To pull in my daughters drive I have to completely remove the hitch, after unloading and unhooking the tow dolly, in order to pull up the incline to our parking spot there.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L. View Post
Howdy y'all!

For those with Class A gas coaches flat towing I have a question. Using a tow bar, have you had any issues using a drop down receiver on your coach? Is the drop down so low you have dragged it before, etc? Anything to look out for overall?

My new gas coach hitch is too high (they all are really) so ordered a 8" drop and now making sure others have not had issue or can share any gotchas.

Thanks in advance!

2” drop to tow our CRV from gas motorhome to make level, Straight thru with new Grand Cherokee. You must be hitting ground with 8” drop
Old 02-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
They make two types of drop hitches. One has a solid stinger, the other is hollow. I have seen the hollow ones crack where it meets the receiver from hitting the ground. IMHO only use the solid bar.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #8

I started out with a 10" drop receiver to get my towbar level with my CRV.
I drug that on numerous entrances so I went to an 8" drop. Have only drug that once but am considering going to a 6" drop.
NSA (ReadyBrute) makes really nice drop receivers. They are solid.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I would be tempted to go with a little less of a drop. Maybe 4 inches, and not worry about the angle of the tow bar. Just get a good strong one that will handle it.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
I would be tempted to go with a little less of a drop. Maybe 4 inches, and not worry about the angle of the tow bar. Just get a good strong one that will handle it.

Roadmaster recommends not having your towbar out of level by more than 2” up or down. If braking hard, you might find your towbar bending or vehicle jump up and into the back of your motorhome.

Somewhere on the forum there is a picture of a jeep doing just that. I’ll see if I can’t find it and post a link.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Roadmaster recommends not having your towbar out of level by more than 2” up or down. If braking hard, you might find your towbar bending or vehicle jump up and into the back of your motorhome.
That's something I have a hard time with. If you have a braking system, there is no way the toad can push on the tow bar. At least my toad does it's own braking. Besides, if the hitch is high, the toad would be trying to crawl underneath the MH. With any hitch worth it's salt should be able stand up, except in a crash, and then all bets are off. And I'm pretty sure my 3500 pound toad isn't going to be lifting the back end of my 24,000 pound MH.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roadmaster shares that it places added stresses on the tow bar, reducing its life (and potential damage to the RV itself) if it is more than 3 inches too high or too low. I suspect the greater damage is to the tow bar.
They've been making their products for 50 years in the Portland (OR) metro area and still do today, so I expect they have some real-world experience on what buyers of their products have encountered. https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc.../safe_zone.php has some details as do the manuals for the Falcon All Terrain and others. For me, my tow bar to be installed shortly would be 3.25 inches lower than the car. While that is just past the "safe zone" by a 1/4 inch, I can see why I am being recommended to install a hitch drop. My last two RVs were within an inch.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A way to reduce the amount of drop down used and extension further out the back, is to weld a second receiver to and under the min receiver. This can be easily done by a muffler or hitch shop. By doing this, you drop the hitch height by about 3.5", without extending the receiver any further back, like the drop downs do.

I did it on two different coaches and was able to eliminate the drop altogether.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #14

I am in the process of setting up for flat towing for the first time. I've tried a couple dollies before so I bought this https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...25-GH-516.html

While the Gen-Y is Very sturdily built. I hate it. I have dug ruts in several gas station parking lots.
Seems the best way to go is get a very high toad like a Wrangler or 4x4 pickup.
For me I just bought a 2020 Ford Edge ST I plan on going with the Roadmaster baseplate with the crossbar. Roadmaster tech support say's that will give me a 18" connection height. So with approximately 6" drop hitch should get me within the 2-3" from level.
I also agree with Unplanned Tourist on the real need to be perfectly level. I think most of these Mfg. recommendations are mostly CYA for lawsuits.

Tags
class a, gas, hitch