Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2021, 06:20 AM   #1

Gas or diesel toad for this application

Hi,

We are seriously interested in a 30ft 4x4 diesel Super C but it only has a 52gallon diesel tank. Reports say it's gets 10-11mog but that is enough range for me.

I recently saw a truck with a tool chest extended fuel tank in it's bed with a fuel hose

The brand I looked at has either a 66 or 110gallon tank.

If I was to install one of these would I better doing it in a diesel truck?

I know a gas truck will be cheaper and have more selection but if I stick with diesel I can fuel the toad also.

What do folk think?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #2

Gosh a 52 gallon fuel tank in the super C sure is on the small side. Is it built on a 4x4 pick up chassis? It must have some pretty nice towing capacity if you are thinking about pulling a pick up with a fuel tank in the bed. Keeping it all diesel would be very nice. I assume fueling the RV from the toad would mean unhooking to drive toad closer to fuel fill? That would be a no go for me if that's the case.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #3

It depends on your proposed use of a 4x4 motorhome. If it is to get back into the boonies, then I would tow a Jeep for further exploration and slightly better mileage due to a lighter toad. With a 450-500 mile range, there are plenty of fuel stops along the way. There are gas RV's on the road with less range.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:36 AM   #4

If it's truly a Super C it's built on a truck chassis. I know of at least one that's out there but from his description of the 52 gallon fuel tank it's not the one I'm thinking of so there's apparently at least 2. As to the original question I don't know how much good the aux tank in the bed of the pickup will do. Those are usually for fueling equipment on construction sites and while it would give you quite a bit more fuel capacity the hose most likely won't reach the filler on the rig which will be in the front. It's your choice but I think that it would be more convenient just to fill up at a gas station. Your rig, your call.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #5

Thanks all,

It is a 4x4 on a Ram 5500 chassis with 10k towing.

It's a Dynamax Isata 5 28ss.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #6

Ram makes the 1500 with a 3.0l Ecodiesel. The engine is also available in the Grand Cherokee and Gladiator. GM/Chevy also put a small diesel in the Canyon/Colorado. Those are all flat towable, if properly configured and would keep you well below your towing capacity, offer 22-24mpg around town and 27-30mpg on the highway, as well as provide decent towing capacity if necessary.

The idea is intriguing, in that you could fill the coach from the truck and then fill the truck whenever site seeing, grocery shopping, etc. Theoretically, you may never need to drive the coach and toad through a fuel station.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You're going to alot of trouble, and thinking of towing a very heavy toad, to make up for a perceived shortfall in the RV. For me, my toad should match what I want my toad to do, in my case, some light to moderate off-roading for sightseeing and fishing. A big pickup, or a small econobox, neither of these would work as well as a small SUV. Refueling the RV from that truckbed tank seems like a PIA.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Ram makes the 1500 with a 3.0l Ecodiesel. The engine is also available in the Grand Cherokee and Gladiator. GM/Chevy also put a small diesel in the Canyon/Colorado. Those are all flat towable, if properly configured and would keep you well below your towing capacity, offer 22-24mpg around town and 27-30mpg on the highway, as well as provide decent towing capacity if necessary.

The idea is intriguing, in that you could fill the coach from the truck and then fill the truck whenever site seeing, grocery shopping, etc. Theoretically, you may never need to drive the coach and toad through a fuel station.
I think it's a 6 litre diesel
Old 09-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
You're going to alot of trouble, and thinking of towing a very heavy toad, to make up for a perceived shortfall in the RV. For me, my toad should match what I want my toad to do, in my case, some light to moderate off-roading for sightseeing and fishing. A big pickup, or a small econobox, neither of these would work as well as a small SUV. Refueling the RV from that truckbed tank seems like a PIA.
Thanks Tony,.

That makes sense.

I will not proceed with it.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
It depends on your proposed use of a 4x4 motorhome. If it is to get back into the boonies, then I would tow a Jeep for further exploration and slightly better mileage due to a lighter toad. With a 450-500 mile range, there are plenty of fuel stops along the way. There are gas RV's on the road with less range.
I do love my Jeep Crasher :-)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
I think it's a 6 litre diesel
No. It’s a 3.0l in the Ram/Jeep. The GM diesel is a 2.8l.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
No. It’s a 3.0l in the Ram/Jeep. The GM diesel is a 2.8l.
Ah, I get you know. I misread your reply
Old 09-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
If it's truly a Super C it's built on a truck chassis. I know of at least one that's out there but from his description of the 52 gallon fuel tank it's not the one I'm thinking of so there's apparently at least 2. As to the original question I don't know how much good the aux tank in the bed of the pickup will do. Those are usually for fueling equipment on construction sites and while it would give you quite a bit more fuel capacity the hose most likely won't reach the filler on the rig which will be in the front. It's your choice but I think that it would be more convenient just to fill up at a gas station. Your rig, your call.

Just for info when I was towing a 5er with my Ram 3500 I installed a 70 gallon diesel tank in the bed. It automatically fed into the main tank as required going down the road. I don’t think the fifth wheel ever saw a gas station. I would fill up the tanks after I disconnected. It did take a while.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
Just for info when I was towing a 5er with my Ram 3500 I installed a 70 gallon diesel tank in the bed. It automatically fed into the main tank as required going down the road. I don’t think the fifth wheel ever saw a gas station. I would fill up the tanks after I disconnected. It did take a while.
That's a great advantage.

Tags
cat, diesel, gas, toad