Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Am I missing something here but are you not able to tow up to what your hitch is rated for. I purchased last October a 2013 Itasca Navion IQ 24G. We love it. The manual states that it is rated to tow up to 5,000#. That is also what camping World told us at time of purchase. Not sure what the weight of the coach has to do with tow weight unless you are tying it to the roof. We have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit that at 4,900# is too heavy to tow. Going to the Portland,Oregon auto show next weekend to find a toad in the 3,200# to 3,500# range. As long as the hitch can handle it, the motor can pull it and supplemental Brakes are in the toad I see no reason my listed tow weight cannot be used.
Honwing...UFO pilot nailed it. My GVWR (Gross veh weight ratio) is 11,030 Add two people, two dogs, fluids and gear and my total is 12,030... My GCWR (gross COMBINED) which includes gear and the toad is 15,250...that only leaves me able to tow a vehicle weighing 3220 pounds even though my hitch is rated at 5000 lbs. My Sonic weighs in at 2760. That leaves me 460 pounds to spare. So I am able to pick up 4-115 pound cute hitch hikers or, if my wife nixes that idea, I'll keep my eyes open for one lost 460 pound sumo wrestler.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Donut Lover,
I use an older Roadmaster brake box type that does work but I couldn't call it very reliable or effective. It is easy to install. The Patriot system is a much newer and probably evolved to a better engineering point and may be great. I never tried it. The problem for brake boxes in general seems to me that you have a box sitting on an uneven carpeted floor bouncing down the road and braced up against a driver seat that is padded and springy. The pressure needed to stop a toad in a panic stop with a dead (no power assist) pedal is considerable. For everything to not move around, stay lined up right and apply strong pressure on the pedal really quickly every time when you need it seeems to me a bit optomistic for a brake box. I'm still looking for something better.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have a 5000 lb hitch but only have 4000 lbs of towing capacity. GVWR is 26000 and the GCWR in 30000. I could install a 10000 lb hitch and still could only tow 4000 lbs.

GV = gross weight of the MH

GC = gross combined weight of MH and towed vehicle / trailer

That's only true if you're at max GVWR on the RV. If your GVWR is 26000 but it weighs in at 24000, then you could tow the full 5000.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
Donut Lover,
I use an older Roadmaster brake box type that does work but I couldn't call it very reliable or effective. It is easy to install. The Patriot system is a much newer and probably evolved to a better engineering point and may be great. I never tried it. The problem for brake boxes in general seems to me that you have a box sitting on an uneven carpeted floor bouncing down the road and braced up against a driver seat that is padded and springy. The pressure needed to stop a toad in a panic stop with a dead (no power assist) pedal is considerable. For everything to not move around, stay lined up right and apply strong pressure on the pedal really quickly every time when you need it seeems to me a bit optomistic for a brake box. I'm still looking for something better.
Carter, the points you brought up concerned me as well...relying on a brake box precariously placed on an uneven floor resting against a cushy seat bottom to help in slowing a toad leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. But, I have been looking at the RVI Brake2 and reading reviews, both "unbiased" from the buying public and the more trusted reviews from members of this forum. They are over the top with positive comments. It fits lower in the footwell and once I get and inspect the footwell of my Chevy Sonic, I'll have a better handle on whether or not that is the way I want to go. But, I still can't shake the image of the "box" bouncing around and losing it's effectiveness while I diddle down the road unsuspectingly. I am a crafty guy...I was going to order the box, (or maybe even the Patriot...the jury is still out on that) place it in the proper position, then measure out and fabricate a "relatively" discrete mounting strap that can be removed as simply and easily as the box itself...know what i mean??? Truthfully, I probably would have liked to consider spending the extra cash on the AirForceOne unit...until I read it is designed for an air brake system. I have a 25 ft Winnebago View...I'm pretty sure I don't have an air brake system in that unit, so it would seem the AF one is off the table. Further thoughts anyone????
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #19

Love my RVI2 brake system. Easy to set up, small, portable, settings for sensitivity and amount of braking and great in-the-RV remote. And customer support is outstanding.

Tags
brake, toad, toads