Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I priced my base plate, tow bar, braking system, supplemental wiring and protective rock screen and all installed would be around 3,600.00.

This is for Blue Ox Base Plate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Stay & Play Braking System and the supplemental wiring for signal/brake lights, also the stone/rock preventer cover so the car won't get banged up from stones and rocks from the coach...or might be better just to get a big wide mud flap too for that matter.

Your price is not out of line at all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
I bought a blue ox baseplate, ready brake, ready brake breakaway, and the ready brake sling adapter from the Hitchsource for <$1,000. I installed everything myself, and I am just your average weekend mechanic. It took me 5 hours to do the baseplate and two hours to do the ready brake. I then found a like new blue ox Aladdin towbar on craigslist for $200. So my total cost with my own labor will be <$1200. I do need to purchase the light kit, and for that, I am just going to use the magnetic mount system which is around $50.
Bill, wish I had your talent!! Good Job!!

Old 04-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #17

I just got two quotes for a new Jeep install and one was $3,500 and the other was (gulp) $4,200.

I am going with the $3,500 estimate.
pamandden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Bill, wish I had your talent!! Good Job!!

Thanks, but really I am a very average weekend mechanic. I did write up the baseplate install on the rv.net site. Take a peak: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Base plate install, Suzuki Vitara
If you can change your oil, I think you can install this stuff and save yourself a ton of money. I will admit I have several bruised knuckles to prove to my wife that I was working on the toad while down at the hangar. Consider looking at the youtube videos on line and the install directions found on your base plate. While the directions are not great, between that and the on-line videos you can do it!
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #19

$ 3,500 seems like a lot, but you didn't specify what type of braking system is included. Also, the Veloster has a pretty complicated front end and perhaps there is a lot of labor in the re and re of the bumper / grill areas ?
As a comparison, I installed a Blue Ox baseplate on my Jeep Wrangler, Readybrute Elite towbar system ( braking system included ), brake light wiring kit, etc. Parts cost was around $ 1,600. Took my shadetree mechanical skills around 8 hours total.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We got 2 quotes for complete install for olds alero.
$2700 for ready brute with blue ox baseplate, but I would have to drive to oregon.
locally $3200 for blue ox bar and plate, roadmaster 9160 brake.
Going with the local.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
A few weeks ago we had blue Ox base plate installed on our Hyundai, wired, drop hitch receiver and Blue Ox tow bar and went with the SMI Delta Force break system. Out the door was 3500.00
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
If you can change your oil, I think you can install this stuff and save yourself a ton of money. Consider looking at the youtube videos on line and the install directions found on your base plate. While the directions are not great, between that and the on-line videos you can do it!
+1. I just finished setting up a 2015 Chevy Colorado as a toad. I wanted a Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox alpha tow bar, Roadmaster 154 diode lighting kit, RVI Brake2 with breakaway kit and 12V direct plug, and a Preotect-A-Tow. It seemed a bit overwhelming to tackle installation of all that myself, so I was fully prepared to pay a professional to do it. Until I called a couple of local Blue Ox dealers and got a quote. And neither dealer had done an install on a 2015 Colorado, so they'd be learning on my new truck. Despite my modest mechanical skills I can read and follow instructions, so I tried the eat an elephant approach (How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.) I broke it down into sections and did the install over the course of 4 weekends. I figure I saved an easy $1500, and I know it was done right. It was involved and lengthy, but not overly complicated.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #23

Our coach came with a 10K hitch and plug, so we just needed a blue ox tow bar for $850.00 and Honda CRV towing bracket & wiring for $750.00. We don't use a brake buddy.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Our coach came with a 10K hitch and plug, so we just needed a blue ox tow bar for $850.00 and Honda CRV towing bracket & wiring for $750.00. We don't use a brake buddy.

Did you do the install on the crv ? Looking to purchase crv and thinking of doing the install myself. What brake system are you using? Thanks for any info.
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #25

Rekwiat,
Camping World did the install for $750.00. I watched and it looked pretty involved! We have never used a braking system. Never needed it.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Rekwiat,
Camping World did the install for $750.00. I watched and it looked pretty involved! We have never used a braking system. Never needed it.
Your '08 CRV weighs 3,532 lbs. That's a lot of un-braked weight pushing on the back of your RV. In most all of our 50 states, brakes are required for a towed vehicle that heavy, many also require break-a-way hook ups to apply the brakes should the vehicle come off the hitch. Your comment, "We have never used a braking system. Never needed it." I'd add: YET!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All you really need is the toad done, base plate and wiring, the rest is just parts.
Do a little looking and you may find a row bar, and brake system for a great deal, unless you want on like an invisible brake go with a bake buddy or the like,
The road will have to be wired for lights.
Buying a total package includes some uncharges

Good luck
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, install