Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #1

Getting Gas with a MH + Toad

My wife and I will be flat-towing a Jeep Wrangler behind our 32-foot Class C motorhome in a couple of weeks. We're going out west from Florida to see the national parks. I've only flat-towed the vehicle once so far and have not gotten gas for the MH while towing. Therefore, I would like to ask the experienced RVers who flat tow, how you manage gassing up? I've read some about trying to choose gas stations with the right configuration (e.g., parallel to the convenience store and not perpendicular to it), taking the last pump, looking for RV-friendly stations such as Flying J, not getting too close to the pumps, etc. However, I would like to get your feedback and advice before we embark on our journey.

Thanks much.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Look at google maps of the gas stations you want to go to and zoom in on them, you can tell if you have room or not, if there is a gas station I need to go to that is not RV friendly, look at the outside islands so that you can plan your exit.

You don't say how long your RV is, but mine is 37' and I flat tow a Jeep CJ7, just remember you can not back up a flat towed vehicle like you are towing a trailer.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #3

Many Flying J and Pilot have RV Islands. Some are designed better than others.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We always start looking for an easy-access gas station when we're down to 1/2 a tank. That way we have plenty of time without getting anxious.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:49 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We always start looking for an easy-access gas station when we're down to 1/2 a tank. That way we have plenty of time without getting anxious.
Like SarahW says " don't wait until you are empty!"
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:13 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Look at google maps of the gas stations you want to go to and zoom in on them, you can tell if you have room or not, if there is a gas station I need to go to that is not RV friendly, look at the outside islands so that you can plan your exit.
We use the Next Exit book to find "RV friendly" fuel stops along the interstates. However, always use Google Maps satellite view to double check. Some stations in Next Exit are "friendly" for DPs not for gassers.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:28 AM   #7

Google maps here as well along with the MyPilot app on the phone. I also try to fuel local to where we are staying if possible by looking at Google and then checking it with the towed before we leave to be sure. I usually try to find something in the 325-375 mile range which leaves me plenty in the tank for unforeseen issues (gas station closed, etc.).

Last trip as we were passing through northern FL I had a station planned for a fuel stop but ended up passing a brand new station that was easily accessible and wasn't on Google. Stopped there instead.

After a while you will recognize which will work and which won't. For the most part, try to stick with pump islands aligned parallel with the street. Others can work but you have to be a little more cautious.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the Pilot/Flying J web site when planning a trip. If you go to the web site, go to the locations tab, then trip planning tab and use the filter for "Store that have.... select RV lanes. I plan my fuel stops before I leave.

Theses stations may cost a little more per some, I never compared, I just like the convenience these lanes provide.

When you flat tow - - you really can't back up if you get into a tight spot. At least I would not try it, I did once and jack-knifed right away!

This works for us - it is easy and we just keep on travelin' down the road not worried about where our next fuel stop will be.

Good luck, safe trip, and have a great time!

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #9

mjschoken, I think you've covered about all the bases. Only thing I could add, would be that in our experience, the stations between towns (for the most part) have wider, larger lots that allow you to circle the building for the non-parallel pumps, giving you a shot at the end row of pumps on both sides. The stations in towns are on smaller lots and easier to get into an uh-oh.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #10

With a 32 footer, you shouldn't have much problem at all, just don't get in a hurry to pull into the station until you have a chance to scope it out. I've actually stopped and "walked" a station once after we got caught once because what looked from the road to be a drive around behind the station turned out to be blocked with cars/trash bins . . .

If you get blocked in, you can always unhook, but it's irritating to say the least!

We're about 8' longer than you are, but we seldom have problems. I think we've only had to unhook three times, once at the gas station, once in a parking lot that didn't have the 2nd exit we thought it did, and once in a Camping World that wasn't set up for RV's! They had so much inventory parked all over the customer parking, that there was NO room for even a car with a small boat trailer to turn around in once you pulled in. We were in the store probably 30 minutes and saw 4, FOUR people have to unhook, two after attempting to back up with tow dollies. . . . (that didn't work to well).
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #11

We tow a 33' TT behind our Ram pickup and simply use common sense when we gas up. Try to pick the larger fuel stops like Flying J and don't pull in if you're not comfortable as you approach the station. Unfortunately, even some of the larger fuel stops are kind of tight in the gas lanes and don't lend themselves to longer Rv's. We always work off the top 1/2 of our gas tank so if the station we stop at is not to our liking we move on to the next one. I really wouldn't worry if I were you, it's really not a large issue while traveling.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, toad