Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Getting new TOAD, need some guidance

I'm picking up a 2015 Jeep JK (2 dr Wrangler) to tow behind my 25' class C.

I know I want the Readybrake surge brake system for it. The hard part is trying to figure out which tow bar and base plate setup. I was going to go cheap and get the A frame non-telescoping tow bar but I've ruled that out as too much of a problem when hooking up.

I want a tow bar that folds up against the RV bumper when not in use. I'm really interested in the NSA RV Hercules tow bar as it's the tow bar and Readybrake all in one unit. Actually the Readybrute Elite would be OK too. It's aluminum where the Hurcules is steel. The Hercules is rated for 12k lbs, the Readybrute is 8k lbs. The Wrangler weights 1/2 of that. Is steel better for aluminum for a tow bar? Is there any benefit to aluminum other than lighter weight?

I would just have to figure out what I want for the base plate. I was leaning towards Blue Ox simply because from the photos I've seen it looks like the Blue Ox "hides" better when the tow bar is not connected. Is that true or does it hang down/exposed just as much as the Roadmaster?

I've got the lighting figured out, I'm going to get one of the plug and play setups that are specifically made for the Jeep. I've never TOAD anything before and I don't want to buy something and regret it down the line and have to purchase a replacement because my idea doesn't work. So, what do you all think of my train of thought? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #2

I use the NSA ready brute Elite to tow my Jeep Wrangler behind my 27 ft motorhome. Works great. Built-in braking. I also use the Blue Ox base plate on the Jeep. No problems there either
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:51 AM   #3

I started off with a Ready Brake and Blue Ox tow bar. It worked good for the year that I used it. Decided to upgrade to the Ready Brute Elite. Great towbar and braking system all in one.

My advice is don't mix and match like I did. Get the RBE from the beginning and never look back.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #4

What is your intended use for the Jeep? Will you be going off road with it? If so, why not replace that cheap plastic bumper with an aftermarket steel one that could accommodate a winch in the future. "Rock Hard" makes a bumper with simple tabs on the front to hook any towbar to for towing. This option might help make your new JK more versatile.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've been using the ReadyBrute Elite towbars for 7 years without any problems. If I were buying a new set today I would go with the ReadyBrute Hercules, simply because it has a higher tow rating. JMHO.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #6

I have the Roadmaster Falcon2 towbar and it has been great. Folds against the MH. I recently switched to the Ready Brake system and love it. Don’t need to have power to the Jeep. Fairly easy to hook the brake cable to the Jeep brake pedal (this I did myself). Also use the Roadmaster base plate but had it professionally installed as my tool set and skills are minimal. The arms of the towbar connect to the connectors that slide into the base plate for a very clean and easy to do hookup or disconnect. No heavy lifting. You will like towing the Jeep. Follow the Jeep instructions and essentially put transfer case in neutral and transmission in Park (assuming it’s an auto) remove the key and head on out. DO remember to release the parking brake lest you need to buy four tires... This I know...

On edit, I have no issues with the Roadmaster base plate visibility when not in use. I sprayed everything flat black after installation and it now just blends in.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
First off there are no cheap PLASTIC BUMPERS on any Jeep. The bumper may be covered in fiberglass like on a Sahara but they are definitely not cheap or light. They are STEEL.

Posters say yeah just get a new bumper like Rock Hard..... duh a good one RH cost like $700 bucks, plus you have to remove a perfectly good bumper. You can buy a Blue Ox base plate for a Jeep for like $450 bucks. They attach to the frame, hide well, and are super strong.
I also recommend a Blue Ox Tow bar. Again great performance and very reputable company. They have three or four different models, no binding all aluminum ones to lower priced all steel ones.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
First off there are no cheap PLASTIC BUMPERS on any Jeep. The bumper may be covered in fiberglass like on a Sahara but they are definitely not cheap or light. They are STEEL.

Posters say yeah just get a new bumper like Rock Hard..... duh a good one RH cost like $700 bucks, plus you have to remove a perfectly good bumper. You can buy a Blue Ox base plate for a Jeep for like $450 bucks. They attach to the frame, hide well, and are super strong.
I also recommend a Blue Ox Tow bar. Again great performance and very reputable company. They have three or four different models, no binding all aluminum ones to lower priced all steel ones.

Jim P.
Actually I agree that nothing is really cheap when talking about a Vehicle whose name stands for Just Empty Every Pocket

That being said if you are really going to do some Rock Crawling you probably already have a Rubicon vs the other models that are sometimes referred to as “Mall Crawlers”

In any case a good aftermarket bumper (I have the Poison Spyder) really accommodated a 10K winch and more importantly has connections for 2 heavy duty “D” rings. I bought the NSA adapters for my all terrain tow bar that connect directly to the bumper (Albeit with a 8” receiver lift so it stays level) and this works great even with our 35” tires.

If you want to go off road, REALLY off road you will most likely replace the front bumper anyhow as you’ll need the additional clearance.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post

Jim P.
I speak from experience after buying a new 2010 JKRU that I outfitted for mild to serious Rock Crawling. Here is a description of the JK bumper from "Extreme Terrain Outfitters":

Regarding Stock Wrangler Bumpers
Jeep bumpers come in all shape and sizes. Depending on specific needs, some designs are better suited than others. They also differ in terms of build material and weight. As a starting point, the standard front factory bumper is an aluminum plate over the factory rails with plastic end caps and weighs 27 lbs (without the tow hooks). The rear is entirely made of plastic with the metal mounting plates and only weighs 15 lbs. Needless to say, neither offer much in terms of protection and both are susceptible to damage from even slight impacts, often requiring total replacement.

I asked what the OP's intent was for the Jeep. A Rock Hard bumper cost more than a base plate for sure, however, it provides much better protection and a platform for a future winch plus attachment points for a tow bar. If he never intends to take the Jeep off of a dirt road, then a baseplate will be adequate. Guess he needs to decide what fits into his plans.
The bumpers on my JKUR were mostly plastic and were for looks only.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I towed and just sold a 2016 jk. Lots of opinions including mine, here is what I used and I’m using on my new JL.

Blue Ox base plate and tow bar
Stay and Play Duo brake system
Hopkins brake light wiring (not on my JL)
Roadmaster brake light relay ( not on my JL)

Hooks up honestly in 3 minutes or less!! You get your own rhythm & system.

Best of luck, there are many good options.

Steve
Old 08-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I have the Roadmaster Falcon2 towbar and it has been great. Folds against the MH. I recently switched to the Ready Brake system and love it. Don’t need to have power to the Jeep. Fairly easy to hook the brake cable to the Jeep brake pedal (this I did myself). Also use the Roadmaster base plate but had it professionally installed as my tool set and skills are minimal. The arms of the towbar connect to the connectors that slide into the base plate for a very clean and easy to do hookup or disconnect. No heavy lifting. You will like towing the Jeep. Follow the Jeep instructions and essentially put transfer case in neutral and transmission in Park (assuming it’s an auto) remove the key and head on out. DO remember to release the parking brake lest you need to buy four tires... This I know...

On edit, I have no issues with the Roadmaster base plate visibility when not in use. I sprayed everything flat black after installation and it now just blends in.

We also have the Falcon 2 by Roadmaster. It came with the purchase of our Newmar Baystar 3401. We have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler 4door. I matched the towbar with a roadmaster base plate (easy install). We also received the Brake Buddy Classic with our purchase. Otherwise I would have went with the Readybrake. Hooking up and towing the Jeep is easy peezy and I wouldn’t go with any other tow vehicle.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #12

Thanks for all the input. I just got all my parts and pieces to install for my setup. I went with a Currier tow/base plate instead of the Blue Ox brand. I did a lot of research and everyone that has them really likes them. It doesn't hang down the way the Blue Ox base plate does. Rather it sits up higher and looks like a skid shield. I went with the NSA Readybrute Elite II, the new one they came out with that's the updated version of the Readybrute Elite. That gives me a RV mounted tow bar setup that stays connected to the RV and folds out of the way when not in use. It has the integrated surge brake system built into it. I went with the Hopkings plug and play wiring for the tail lights and I'm adding a flasher to the 3rd brake light that flashes 3 times when applying the brakes then goes steady. Figured it wouldn't hurt to keep the people tailgating me on their toes. I did get the break away setup for the tow bar too just for some additional peace of mind.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSkip View Post
Thanks for all the input. I just got all my parts and pieces to install for my setup. I went with a Currier tow/base plate instead of the Blue Ox brand. I did a lot of research and everyone that has them really likes them. It doesn't hang down the way the Blue Ox base plate does. Rather it sits up higher and looks like a skid shield. I went with the NSA Readybrute Elite II, the new one they came out with that's the updated version of the Readybrute Elite. That gives me a RV mounted tow bar setup that stays connected to the RV and folds out of the way when not in use. It has the integrated surge brake system built into it. I went with the Hopkings plug and play wiring for the tail lights and I'm adding a flasher to the 3rd brake light that flashes 3 times when applying the brakes then goes steady. Figured it wouldn't hurt to keep the people tailgating me on their toes. I did get the break away setup for the tow bar too just for some additional peace of mind.
You made the right decision. This is a great choice in towbar and baseplate. Not only is this a great choice you saved over $1000 compared to the other towbar braking systems mentioned here.

You will not be disappointed.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #14

LOL, wrote this below, then read your response, I have the same setup apparently. Good choice:

I've used NSA Readybrake Elite for something like 5 or more years now, across two Jeeps (2006TJ, 2015JK). Very easy to install, very easy to connect and disconnect.

Look at the Currie Baseplate as well, it's low profile and rouged, bolts into place using existing bolts (I did have to grind a bit of metal off for my year Jeep).

Tags
toad