Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Going to be new to towing and looking for advice

We have had the motorhome for close to 2 years but have never towed anything.

This year be bought a new Jeep Wrangler and yesterday just had a Blue OX baseplate installed and brought back an Alpha II tow bar along with a Patriot 3 brake system.

We have yet to hook the motorhome and the Jeep together. First trip should be August 31, and that will be the first time they get hooked up.

What do I need to know? The dealer did go through the hook up procedure but told me the rubber tray in the brake system was to go between the Patriot and the seat.......instruction book says different.

Also what changes do I need to make to driving / turning etc? Will the jeep track with the motorhome or do I need to take wider turns?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #2

Allan,

I'm sure everything will go fine but I would take it out for a 'test run' BEFORE you actually leave on your trip.

Make sure that the lights and supplemental braking system are working correctly. If they need adjustment, etc., you won't be going crazy on travel day.

When making turns, you will have to turn a little wider but you will be able to see the Jeep in your side mirror to monitor things.

Good luck, safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #3

You've probably already covered this but just in case, check receiver height of coach (aired up) with attachment point on Jeep to see if you need to make any adjustments in height with a drop/rise adapter. Tow bar must be close to level when towing.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
You've probably already covered this but just in case, check receiver height of coach (aired up) with attachment point on Jeep to see if you need to make any adjustments in height with a drop/rise adapter. Tow bar must be close to level when towing.
Good point. "Close to level" is defined as +/- 3" by almost all tow bar manufacturers. If not perfectly level, apparently it's preferred that the car be the lower of the two. The distance is usually measured from the center of each receiver to the ground.

If you have a battery charge line, be sure it works. My buddy just lost a trip because he finally decided to check that his charge line was working and it wasn't. This was going to be his first long tow and the others were short enough that the car battery would not die.

He found that the power wire inside the motorhome's 7-pin connector had never been connected. The wire was just sitting at the back of the connector, not even stripped. But that was the only day of the week he could travel due to work commitments so he had to cancel the entire trip.

Ray
Old 08-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I'm sure everything will go fine but I would take it out for a 'test run' BEFORE you actually leave on your trip.

Make sure that the lights and supplemental braking system are working correctly. If they need adjustment, etc., you won't be going crazy on travel day.
Again, good advice. We just test-towed my new Equinox for the first time yesterday and I noticed the toad brakes were coming on late.

In other words, even though it's a proportional system, the brakes in the motorhome had to be applied more firmly before the car brakes would come on. In city driving the car brakes would come on for a few seconds just before the full stop, not earlier.

We stopped at a rest area and I tweaked the sensitivity control on the Stay-IN-Play DUO a bit and now the toad brakes apply earlier.

We couldn't tell a difference either way but a 4,000 lb car pushing a 22,000 lb motorhome is almost a 20% increase in non-braking mass otherwise.

Ray
Old 08-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #6
NXR

This discussion from yesterday titled "Big day tomorrow!" is about someone towing for the first time. A commenter noted that they could not imagine how a pre-tow checklist could require 19 steps. I posted both my "connect" and "disconnect" checklists to show how it could be done.

You might find a few ideas there you haven't thought of yet. It's for an Equinox but most steps are generic.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/big-...ow-500831.html

I spent a quarter-century in aviation maintenance so yes, I prefer more detail than less.

Ray
Old 08-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #7

If you didnít already know, you canít back up with a towed vehicle, the front wheels will turn and cause stress on the tow bar. This requires planning ahead and make sure you have room to maneuver without going in reverse.
milkman55 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tow, towing