Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
last trip we towed our 2 WD 2008 ford escape on a 2 wheel car dolly. Did not like it at all!! Considering flat towing it next time, but based on what I have read so far and the owner's manual, not a good idea.
I emailed Victory Climate Systems recommended by "JohnQ" requesting info on Tow Neutral Switch for Escape, waiting to hear from them.

Any other suggestion? NEED HELP DON"T WANT TO GO BACK TO TOW DOLLY
The CD4E transmission in your 2008 Escape is not rated for 4 down towing. It must be either towed on a dolly with the front wheels on the dolly or on a trailer for 2WD versions. 4WD models must be trailered. Not sure what that company does but since this transmission is a front wheel drive transmission, a neutral tow kit like for a rear drive vehicle or the Explorer would not work. Not sure if a Remco pump would work or if they offer anything.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #16

I just purchased a 2005 sport trac that has the NTK but no instruction how to put in neutral. It does not have a 4x4 Auto button My sport trac has the 3 position dial
2wd 4x4H and 4x4L
The local Ford dealer wont or cant tell me the procedure to get this into towing mode
The previous owner has passed away and I cannot ask him
Any help will be appreciated
Thanks
Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike517 View Post
I just purchased a 2005 sport trac that has the NTK but no instruction how to put in neutral. It does not have a 4x4 Auto button My sport trac has the 3 position dial
2wd 4x4H and 4x4L
The local Ford dealer wont or cant tell me the procedure to get this into towing mode
Thanks
here is a copy of the installation instructions. You should have a sticker in the vehicle explaining the procedure. If you blow up the sticker in the PDF, you can read it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf neutral tow kit.pdf (1.36 MB, 453 views)
Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #18

2014 Ford Titanium 4 x 4 towing question

We purchased our new SUV before we decided to purchase our first Class A motor home.

We have been told we can not tow our Ford at all that it must be on a trailer with all 4 wheels up. This has presented a real challenge for us.

Does anyone have recommendations for us?
D and L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by D and L View Post
We purchased our new SUV before we decided to purchase our first Class A motor home.

We have been told we can not tow our Ford at all that it must be on a trailer with all 4 wheels up. This has presented a real challenge for us.

Does anyone have recommendations for us?
What is your Ford SUV, i.e., year & model?
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #20

Loren, we are new members and new RVers. We bought a new Ford Escape 4X4 then decided to buy a motorhome. Ford says that 4 wheel down towing is impossible and front wheel up towing is not recommended. I know the 4x4 system on this car is somewhat complex, computer controlled with no controls in the cockpit. If it can't be towed we have a 2005 Prius that Toyota has told us can be towed on a dolly if we disconnect the starting battery. They say all systems on the car are then disabled. Any thoughts or information for us. Thanks for any help, David
D and L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by D and L View Post
Loren, we are new members and new RVers. We bought a new Ford Escape 4X4 then decided to buy a motorhome. Ford says that 4 wheel down towing is impossible and front wheel up towing is not recommended. I know the 4x4 system on this car is somewhat complex, computer controlled with no controls in the cockpit. If it can't be towed we have a 2005 Prius that Toyota has told us can be towed on a dolly if we disconnect the starting battery. They say all systems on the car are then disabled. Any thoughts or information for us. Thanks for any help, David
Basically guys, you have two vehicles that just weren't made to be towed 4-down. There are some Escapes that can be successfully towed by installing a lube pump, or by just lowering the amount of fluid in the transmission, but in both cases there have still been transmission failures. Sure, it might work, but if not, you end up stranded and having to fight with Ford to get a warranty repair. Honestly, none of that is worth the hassle to me...

As for the Prius, when turning the front axle, you are creating electricity with the traction motor (dynamic braking). I've heard that you can tow them with the front wheels on a dolly, but I've never heard of disconnecting battery cables. That's new to me. Regardless, I know of one person personally who tore up their Prius by towing it. In this case, it's because of the car being so low to the ground that when on a dolly, the rear end scrapes over every single little bump, curb, driveway, etc. Entering a gas station, they tore the whole rear plastic bumper cover off the car.

Again, you might be able to tow it, but the hassle just isn't worth it in my book. Honestly, I'd recommend buying something that you really can tow instead of trying to make either of these two vehicles towable. IMHO.
Loren
Loren R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have no choices with the new Escape. There are no magic tricks or Secrets. You must buy a flatbed trailer and tow it 4 wheels up. It might be better to trade it on something if you are dead set on towing
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike517 View Post
2wd 4x4H and 4x4L
Thanks
Mike, did the NTK PDF that James sent you work?? (It wasn't the right one for your year Sport Trac, but the instructions are the same).
I ask because I've been told that the 3 position dial is used for the AWD model not the 4WD model. And the AWD model cannot be towed 4-down at all. If this is wrong, I'd like to know so that I can give folks the right information. Please let me know if it worked.
Loren
Old 09-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren R View Post
Mike, did the NTK PDF that James sent you work?? (It wasn't the right one for your year Sport Trac, but the instructions are the same).
I ask because I've been told that the 3 position dial is used for the AWD model not the 4WD model. And the AWD model cannot be towed 4-down at all. If this is wrong, I'd like to know so that I can give folks the right information. Please let me know if it worked.
Loren
The three position switch is used for the 4x4 model. The AWD models have no switch and cannot be towed 4 down. Depending on year, the AWD models use either a viscous clutch in the transfer case or a planetary setup in the transfer case. Neither of which can be disengaged like the 4x4 version that has Auto 4x4, 4x4 high, or 4x4 low.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
last trip we towed our 2 WD 2008 ford escape on a 2 wheel car dolly. Did not like it at all!! Considering flat towing it next time, but based on what I have read so far and the owner's manual, not a good idea.
I emailed Victory Climate Systems recommended by "JohnQ" requesting info on Tow Neutral Switch for Escape, waiting to hear from them.

Any other suggestion? NEED HELP DON"T WANT TO GO BACK TO TOW DOLLY
Sorry, the Neutral Tow Kit is only made for Explorers and some Rangers. Some Escapes can be towed by lowering the amount of transmission fluid in them, but honestly, some of them still blow up the transmissions. We had to give up our Escape (2001 model) because there was no way to tow it. I miss that rig too, it was a great vehicle!!

Without changing vehicles, you should stick with the tow dolly.
Loren
Old 12-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #26

That is such a bummer about the Ford Escapes...When I purchased mine all information said it could be towed 4 down...it is a 2011, THEN I read in the blogs that the transmissions are blowing up...is there something coming in the wind that might make it happen later down the line...WTH.
Coopers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a 2009 Explorer with the disconnect switch. Now I just traded that in on a 2014 Explorer that does not require the switch. You just put it in neutral and tow. They do recommend going only 65 MPH and when stopping to run it thru the gears. I sure that is to lube the gears.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrvdoc View Post
I had a 2009 Explorer with the disconnect switch. Now I just traded that in on a 2014 Explorer that does not require the switch. You just put it in neutral and tow. They do recommend going only 65 MPH and when stopping to run it thru the gears. I sure that is to lube the gears.
It does not have anything to do with lubing the gears. The final drive is splash lubed from moving and the rest of moving parts (not many of them)are splash lubed. What Ford has you doing is moving fluid through the trans cooler to help control trans temps when towing. 5 minutes is really a minimum time. More is better to allow more heat transfer.

Tags
ford