Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I have a 2011 Ford Escape Frt WD and tow it on a dolly with no problems and luv it as tow dolly follows where rear wheels of coach go and dolly has steering plus brakes.

There is no problem in campgrounds either with the dolly as I usually get a pull thru site and if not I added a third wheel to the dolly and push it wherever I have to. I usually put it behind coach before I back coach in.

Piece of cake!!!!!!!!!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bringing the Escape

We have a 2005 AWD Escape with low mileage. Our plan is to buy an open rail steel car hauler to carry the escape behind us. We will be travelling in a 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J. I plan to put a hitch on the escape to maneuver the trailer for parking or storage. I anticipate additional hassle finding suitable campsites but the benefits are no wear & tear on the Escape drive train, no expensive towbar & brake system, I can replace the Escape later with another vehicle of similar size & weight with no modifications.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. Little late for our 2010 Ford Escape that we just had to replace the transmission. We are unfortunately out of warranty and out of luck. We were told it never should have been flat towed even though it clearly states directions for doing so in the owners manual and we bought it purposely for doing that. Will see if we can get one. Hard to fight city hall and Ford Motor Company. DW
Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #32

We are looking at a 2007 explorer 4WD to tow . Ive been reading about the NEutral tow kit, as well as the home made kit . Questions .
Does it matter if its column shift or floor shift ? The one we are looking at is floor shift.
Also , what did engages neutral?
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
We are looking at a 2007 explorer 4WD to tow . Ive been reading about the NEutral tow kit, as well as the home made kit . Questions .
Does it matter if its column shift or floor shift ? The one we are looking at is floor shift.
The NTK's are different for Floor Shifters vs Column Shifters ($269 vs $ 249), but both work basically the same. Neutral in the transfer case is activated via a Sequence of actions with the ignition key, brake pedal, & shifter. De-activated also via a sequence of actions. A LED lighting shows Neutral.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
When you say floor shift do you mean a manual transmission?
I had a 98 Ford Explorer automatic 4WD and had Ford install the neutral switch for about $25.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Just make sure it is 4WD and not AWD. You can tell it is 4WD by it having a selection for auto, 4x4 high, or 4x4 low. Im pretty sure all 07 Explorers are floor shift as it was an interior update change.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #36

Yea, it is 4WD V6.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #37

How do you take it out of neutral?

I thought I read if you press brake pedal it takes it out of neutral. Is that right ?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
When you say floor shift do you mean a manual transmission?
I had a 98 Ford Explorer automatic 4WD and had Ford install the neutral switch for about $25.
4WD (not RWD/2WD), Auto Trans.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #39

Per Ford:

Neutral Tow Instructions

To Shift The Transfer Case Into Neutral

1. Securely attach vehicle to the Towing Vehicle.
2. Start the Explorer Engine to make sure that the battery is sufficiently charged.
3. The Explorer must be at a complete stop and shifted into 4X4 AUTO.
4. Place the Automatic Shifter into neutral.
5. Turn the ignition switch (key) into the OFF position (e.g., steering NOT locked).
6. Neutral Tow Light will initially go through a bulb check; then turn OFF.
7. Depress the brake pedal and Press the 4X4 Auto button for 5 seconds.
8. The Neutral Tow Light will flash; then stay on to indicate the Transfer Case is in neutral
9. Leave the ignition switch (key) in the Off Position and the Transmission in Neutral while the Explorer is in tow.

Do Not Disconnect the Explorer before placing the Xfer Case into gear.

To shift the Transfer Case Out Of Neutral After Towing.

1. Make sure the Explorer is at a complete stop.
2. With the Brake Depressed, turn the ignition switch (key) to ON (not start) position, and moved the transmission shifter out of neutral.
3. The Neutral Tow Light will turn OFF to indicate the Transfer Case is out of Neutral and in Gear.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #40

Thank you. I guess my concern was that the supplemental brakes would De activate neutral
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing Lincoln MKX

We have a Lincoln MKX and wondering if we could use it as our toad or should we look into something smaller. Just not sure if I want to use it for our toad.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSpirit View Post
We have a Lincoln MKX and wondering if we could use it as our toad or should we look into something smaller. Just not sure if I want to use it for our toad.
Look in your owners guide under recreational towing. The MKX is rated for 4 down towing. If yours is front wheel drive you can put it on a dolly. If it is AWD, 4 down or a trailer is the only options.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford