Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Look in your owners guide under recreational towing. The MKX is rated for 4 down towing. If yours is front wheel drive you can put it on a dolly. If it is AWD, 4 down or a trailer is the only options.

It's AWD
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #44

I just seen this tread. If I'm reading this correctly, you can now tow a 4wd Explorer if you add this part. Right?

I'm looking for a toad and this would really help me in my search.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
I just seen this tread. If I'm reading this correctly, you can now tow a 4wd Explorer if you add this part. Right?

I'm looking for a toad and this would really help me in my search.
What year Explorer? That may make a difference. Also make sure it is 4x4 and not AWD. The key is having the 4x4 switch in the dash. The kit I believe is for 2002-2010 Explorers.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #46

Quote:
What year Explorer? That may make a difference. Also make sure it is 4x4 and not AWD. The key is having the 4x4 switch in the dash. The kit I believe is for 2002-2010 Explorers.
My parent have a 2005 Explorer 4x4 V6 that I might buy if it's flat towable
Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #47

Quote:
If you have the 4x4 switch's on the dash, you can get the neutral tow kit for that vehicle.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #48

Quote:
And the NTK for your vehicle consists of an LED to install on the dash. You can buy one for less than $10 at Radio Shack and install it yourself. I have the plans, and I'll give them to you for free. Just Email me.
You'll still have to get the dealer to program the computer, and I have the programming instructions too (the dealer won't have them, you have to provide). The newer Explorers, 2011+, no longer need this kit. But 1998-2010 do. As stated 4WD only, not AWD.
Loren
Ross0737 at AOL dot com
Loren R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #49

We have a 2014 Ford Escape 4 x 4 and all wheel drive. Yep, sounds crazy but Ford refers to it both ways in writing. We bought it before we decided to buy a motor home. The manual says not to tow it 4 down and 2 down in an emergency for a short distance. Does a NTK make a car like this towable 4 down?
D and L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by D and L View Post
We have a 2014 Ford Escape 4 x 4 and all wheel drive. Yep, sounds crazy but Ford refers to it both ways in writing. We bought it before we decided to buy a motor home. The manual says not to tow it 4 down and 2 down in an emergency for a short distance. Does a NTK make a car like this towable 4 down?
This is not a correct statement for a 4x4 Escape. Only a FWD Escape can be towed with the rear wheels on the ground. FWD and 4X4 Escapes cannot be flat towed unless it is an Emergency and the Emergency rules are followed. A 4X4 cannot be towed with the rear wheels on the ground. This will damage the 4x4 system. Per the owners guide--
Towing a four-wheel drive vehicle requires
that all wheels be off the ground, such as
using a wheel lift and dollies or flatbed
equipment. This prevents damage to the
transmission, four-wheel drive system and
vehicle.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I bought a Kar Kaddy SS dolly last year. I recently finished a trip from Northern Virginia to South Carolina towing our 2010 Acura. Although it was nice to have the car with us I want to bring along our two Hobie Mirage Kayaks. What do I need to do to put our 2004 Ford 4x4 Sport Trac (automatic transmission with dial switch for 2 high, 4 high, and 4 low) on the dolly for extended trips? It has a rack that I can use for the kayaks with slight rack modifications.
Thanks for all advice and comments.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
My wife and I bought a Kar Kaddy SS dolly last year. I recently finished a trip from Northern Virginia to South Carolina towing our 2010 Acura. Although it was nice to have the car with us I want to bring along our two Hobie Mirage Kayaks. What do I need to do to put our 2004 Ford 4x4 Sport Trac (automatic transmission with dial switch for 2 high, 4 high, and 4 low) on the dolly for extended trips? It has a rack that I can use for the kayaks with slight rack modifications.
Thanks for all advice and comments.
There is a neutral tow kit available from Ford dealers and maybe online. But a dealer will have to program a module to allow for the neutral tow. However the kit is designed for 4 down towing. Im not sure how the transfer case will handle being towed with only the rear drive shaft spinning. I say this because of internal lubrication. With both shafts spinning, most components are spinning at the same speed. With the front driveshaft not spinning, there is a large variation of speed difference. I just don't know if that would be safe on the transfer case or not. If it was me, I would remove the front driveshaft if I wanted to use a dolly.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #53

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I tow a Ford Escape 4WD and I previously had a Ford Explorer both towed well flat towing but my understanding was that 4WD's either have to be completely on a trailer or 4 Down as James said. Possibly call Remco as they deal with many options for vehicles that normally can not be towed.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post
My new Feista is flat towable after you go through a series of steps then disconnect the battery cable. I have an Even-Brake that I have no idea how I'm going to use it without power. The paper work talks about "If you have a Nuetral Tow package". I don't think I have that. Any ideas or suggestions?
I just picked up a 2014 Fiesta and flat it tow it.

Because the battery must be disconnected I had a "quick disconnect" installed and at the same time a direct wired power outlet to the passenger compartment to power our iRV Brake system.

Works great. I can connect the tow bar, all cables and the brake supplement in about 10 minutes I'm ready to roll.

The vehicle tracks extremely well with our Roadmaster tow bar and we couldn't be happier.
stoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
There is a neutral tow kit available from Ford dealers and maybe online. But a dealer will have to program a module to allow for the neutral tow. However the kit is designed for 4 down towing. Im not sure how the transfer case will handle being towed with only the rear drive shaft spinning. I say this because of internal lubrication. With both shafts spinning, most components are spinning at the same speed. With the front driveshaft not spinning, there is a large variation of speed difference. I just don't know if that would be safe on the transfer case or not. If it was me, I would remove the front driveshaft if I wanted to use a dolly.
Thank you for your detailed reply! Safe travels.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
My 2013 Ford C Max automatic flat tows by simply putting it in neutral and setting the key to position 1. Other than a 65mph limit, that's all it takes.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford