Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #72

Now that's a good idea
Old 04-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #73

I put a 6 inch, caster wheel, just behind my hitch. It sits about an inch lower then the triangle foot.

Now I can push it under the RV, to save space. I also push it around, by the fenders.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Heading out for my first trip with the EZ Tow. Took me 28 minutes to connect everything including the lights. This was by myself so a lot of in and out of the toad to get things lined up correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0727.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	90985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0728.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	90986  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0729.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	90987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0730.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	90988  

tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
OK, we have arrived and are all set up at Fort Boonesborough State Park in Kentucky.

About a three hour trip for us normally but tonight there were many accidents in Cincy as well as some really bad weather. Still we made the trip in about 4 hours including dinner in the RV on the way.

As for the EZ Tow; I drove about a half mile to a parking lot and made a few tight turns, tightened the rig out and re tightened the straps. I managed to get 2 to 3 clicks on the ratchets. We headed for Cincy and then the rains came in buckets with lots of wind and a spectacular lightening show.

I stopped at the next rest area which is about 10 miles into our trip and noticed the left ratchet was twisted. i loosened it and reset it and got another click on the right ratchet.

About 60 miles farther down the road we stopped for dinner at a rest area and I checked everything. The car looks like it slid about 3 or 4" to the right on the tow dolly. It was definitely no longer centered. It was also pretty loose with about 2" of gap between the left tire and the angle stop. The right side had about an inch of gap. I tightened both straps with no real issue and the car pulled back tight against the angle stop. I meant to but didn't check the safety chains to see if they still had adequate slack.

We arrived at our destination an hour and a half later with no further issues.

Do the straps keep stretching or is this because they are new?
I am sure the rain didn't help much, but just wondering if the straps will need to be adjusted as often as I did tonight on future trips?

I thought I had the straps pretty tight before leaving, but could have probably managed to tightened both a few more clicks. Don't know if that would have helped or not.

Curious to hear comments from those with more experience.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #76

Thor Owners Club
I assume with the EZE Tow you have to leave the steering unlocked while towing? If so this may be one of the downfalls of a non pivoting dolly. I have a Stehl pivoting dolly and once I do a retighten after about 10 miles mine does not change.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:47 AM   #77

Thor Owners Club
This is interesting go to the video for the EZE TOW https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=522&v=g_BJQAR43WU and fast forward to about the 8:20 mark and watch the strap as they shoot video underneath. You can see the strap loosen up.This may be true with all dollys I dont know but I found this particular shot interesting.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 AM   #78

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
I assume with the EZE Tow you have to leave the steering unlocked while towing? If so this may be one of the downfalls of a non pivoting dolly. I have a Stehl pivoting dolly and once I do a retighten after about 10 miles mine does not change.
X2 with our Master Tow dolly, also with a pivoting pan. Have towed > 5K miles with it so far and once straps are tight, they stay that way.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 AM   #79

My last trip was with new straps as well. They seemed to loosen more at the beginning of the trip than later. Just make sure you are against the stop when initially installing. When we left Traverse City, MI for home, I checked them several times and never had to tighten again after the initial start of trip checking. That was 1,200 miles. I think you will find that the straps will stretch a bit then stop.

Also, make sure the wheel net that goes over the top of the tire all point to the center of the wheel, i.e., each individual strap piece that comes off of the two straps with the hooks must be 90 degrees to the strap with the hooks or they will loosen up every time you tow. Hope that makes sense.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #80

You need to pull really hard on the wrench, when tightening.

The wrench should be about 2 ft. long.

Make sure there is at least 1- 1/2 wraps of strap around the winch drum when tightening.

I tighten mine, to make the tires squish, a little, on the bottom.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:46 AM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tim, it seems new straps need to be checked the first time used at least in my experience. The smartest thing I did was to buy a "Hitch Ball" wrench it is an 18" box end wrench available at most Wal-Marts. Being sure the cross straps are straight across the tires count big also.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Heading out for my first trip with the EZ Tow. Took me 28 minutes to connect everything including the lights. This was by myself so a lot of in and out of the toad to get things lined up correctly.
http://m.harborfreight.com/magnetic-...kit-69778.html something like this could help with the alignment when loading solo, stick one to t the center of the bumper and the other on the tongue of the dolly. I bought mine on sale for $5 a while back and use it for hooking up the boat trailer but it could work for lining up the dolly as well
Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #83

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthwindrider View Post
Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit something like this could help with the alignment when loading solo, stick one to t the center of the bumper and the other on the tongue of the dolly. I bought mine on sale for $5 a while back and use it for hooking up the boat trailer but it could work for lining up the dolly as well
Yep, that is a great idea and pretty cheap. I use a magnetic base CB antenna that had been laying around but I basically use it for positioning the car on the ramp forward. I have the spot marked on the dolly and when I pull forward I go till I see the antenna move and I know I am all the way on.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #84

Yes, I have the big wrench from Wal Mart as well. It is specific for the dolly strap ratchets. I keep it in the rear passenger side compartment so when I walk back I can just grab it when we stop. Keep a lug nut wrench there as well and check those too.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow