Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

Grounded Toad

Currently setting up my toad to get power off the RV when we tow. Using diode and circuit breakers from the RV hot to battery of the Toad. Do I need to connect the grounds of the 2 vehicles together through the 7 pin flat connector? Any advise would be great.
Mojo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #2

You may have to, but normally the toad is grounded through the tow bar which is attached to the MH's frame.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #3

You really can't depend on the tow bar mechanical connection for a good electrical ground. However, you should have a ground connection thru the tow light hookup if it's wired correctly so an additional ground in usually not necessary.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Definitely need to ground both together through the 7 pin. As IIIKROB said, depending on the towbar for the ground connection is not a good plan, as you're going to end up with flickering lights and intermittent charging. You may not even had to put in the diodes. On most Class A's the +12v pin in the 7 pin connector dies when the RV key is shut off, and many rigs have already got diodes in the circuit. Just a question of checking with a meter. Additional diodes won't hurt too much but you're probably loosing about a quarter to a half volt in the charging line with them there.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #5

I have a separate wiring harness running extra bulbs in the rear lights so I may not have a good ground. That is why I was thinking about a ground from the rv to the jeep battery.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
I have a separate wiring harness running extra bulbs in the rear lights so I may not have a good ground. That is why I was thinking about a ground from the rv to the jeep battery.
In that case you will need a seperate chassis to chassis ground.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Even a 4 pin flat trailer connector provides a ground with the white wire, thought at least hafl the time it is not connected on one end or another. Double check and make sure your ground wire is firmly screwed to the chassis of both vehicles.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #8

The typical tail light ground wire is probably not heavy enough to handle the load if you are using the rv to charge/power the toad. #10 or #12 wire for +12 and ground thru the 7 pin connector is the way to go.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #9

I know I am likely preaching to 99.9% choir people but I noted one post that referred to charging the Toad battery from the RV and thought I might help by adding my comments. They are ment to be helpful.and not.critical so please take then as constructive.

I believe it is a mistake even to try to charge the toad battery from RV given the guage of the wire at the RV/Toad plugs if one does not use an isolating device. By doing a direct or indirect route essentially connects the two batteries in parallel and if the potential difference is significant, considerable current will flow and has the potential to exceed the rating for that circuit and for the wire. Blown circuits or fire is the most likely result Most wires in the 4 pin flat and in the spring cables are 16 or at most 14 ga. Woefully inadequate for the current that can flow between batteries that have a significant potential difference and don't have some current limiting device.

I noted some post commenting on the voltage drop across a diode. Any drop in voltage in a circuit is the product of the resistance in the diode and current in that circuit. I measured the voktage across my tail light diodes. The drop was insignificant because the current was only 500ma.

When exisiting toad tail, license plate and signal lights are connected from the RV the isolation diodes prevent current flow between batteries. When independent bulbs are used on the toad, there is no interaction with the toad wiring or Toad battery. Having a good ground or returm path to the RV ground is essential in any case. I don't know of any RV plug that does not have one of the pins at the RV ground point and this is where the ground connection between the vehicles is usually made.

Never would the hitch mechanical connection be considered a good electrical ground.

Just note, in many juristictions, license plate lights are required on towed vehicles. But how many Toads are wired for this compliance item. Mine now.is but have not had LP lights lit on previous toads.

Hope my comments help.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #10

Why not just use a Toad-Charge? It limits current and isolates the batteries and isn't all that expensive...

TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer

Available at an irv2 sponsor too.
LSL Toad Charge Battery Charger
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you tow lights illuminate your toad license plate? Some states require the rear plate to be lit, but I've not seen a set-up that includes the plate. This came up on a Smart Car forum I belong to. I decided I would just turn on the car's parking lights when I tow at night in WA -- one of the states that requires it. But wait, I have to disconnect the toad battery to tow Guess I park at dusk.

Sorry, I don't have a list of states that require license plate lighting. To date no one on that forum has ever heard of anyone being cited for the lack of plate light.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #12

Great idea with the toad charge. As i noted, big problems in the offing if one tries to parallel the two batteries. Some isolating or current limiting device is required.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would use the Ground lead on the 7-pin.. Grounding via the hitch is iffy at best.

The Diode will lower the charge voltage on the battery, Should not be a problem if your tow vehicle is a GM, might be with other makes (don't know) GM alternators tend to run a bit "hot" and the diode, at worst, will fix it.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #14

I have been thinking about the voltage potential between the 2 battery systems. I am going to take the 12VDC from the RV 7 flat plug off the ignition wire. Hopefully this is isolated on the RV side. I think I may send Fleetwood an email before I try the connection - don't want to burn anything up.

Thanks

Tags
toad