Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Half ton pickup for a Toad

Bought our first DP late last summer. Now looking for a toad. Trying to decide between a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) or a crew cab half ton pickup. The pickup would provide more day to day utility but with ~ 1,500lb heavier curb weight. Any comments / experience to share from either side of the decision?

Doug
Amarillo, TX
W5WTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #2

I had a 2013 2 wd long bed, dodge 1500 penstar motor, it was an automatic 8 speed transmission, it had a door to open above emergency brake that had a handle to pull for flat tow. Check and see if it's still available. Darn thing drove like a sports car.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #3

I just purchased an F150 for a toad, it must be a 4X4. it only weighs around 5K. I have heard people having no trouble towing. hoping to find out how it does soon.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #4

We tow a 2000 chevy 1500 4x4 with mg breaking
Old 02-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We looked into the 1/2 ton toad and found out not all 4WD pickups can be flat towed. We settled on a Chevy 1500 but had to search to find one with the two speed transfer case. One way to tell is if there is a way to actually put the transfer case in neutral. Check out Motorhome Magazines annual towing guide for some good information. Don’t rely solely on a salesman’s opinion that a vehicle can be flat towed. Some are uninformed and some will do anything to sell you a vehicle, and some are honestly helpful. Knowledge is power, so know before you go.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We have towed a Ram 4x4 since we got our motorhome. No problems - don’t even know it’s back there.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3619.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	276611
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5WTX View Post
Bought our first DP late last summer. Now looking for a toad. Trying to decide between a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) or a crew cab half ton pickup. The pickup would provide more day to day utility but with ~ 1,500lb heavier curb weight. Any comments / experience to share from either side of the decision?

Doug
Amarillo, TX
Doug,
Well Sir, we tow BOTH of what you're thinking about. One of ours is an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 which weighs EXACTLY 5,300 lbs. I know 'cause I weighed it with a full tank. The second toad we have is a '15 Jeep JKUR and at present, I do not have an exact weight for it. I never believe what the manufactures say or, any towing guides. I've proven them wrong way more than a few times. The best thing to do in a situation like this is GET IT WEIGHED.
Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and Allison MH3000 trans. When we tow the truck, it's normally loaded up in the back with a Rampage lift that carries our '08 Honda GL1800 Goldwing. When the truck and bike are behind our rig, we're dragging behind us, right close to 6,700 lbs. The coach does just fine with it.

Whether we tow the Jeep, or the truck, I can't really tell any performance difference in the coach. It's not a rocket ship with either one but, it's never failed us. We may not zoom to the top of a grade but, we always get there, never fails.

The truck is easy to prep for towing. The wife drives it up to the back of the coach, I signal her to stop and, I hook up the tow bar and all the related equipment. While that's going on, she takes care of all the inside procedures. Pretty darn simple. Neutral in the transfer case and, the trans in park. Brake off and, Key out. DONE! Takes us about 1 full minute, start to finish, in prep for towing. And, it's the same in reverse when it comes time for disconnecting at a campground.

And, It's all the same for the Jeep. Too many people waaaaaaaay over think a lot of this. It's just not that hard. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I suppose once you get rolling weight difference is probably not a big factor. Except maybe in mountainous terrain. I have been accused by people who know me well of overthinking things. You nailed me.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for sharing
Old 03-01-2020, 07:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The half ton 4x4s I’ve looked at are all in the 5,500 lb curb weight range plus or minus a 100lb. The Wrangler Unlimited is just over 4,000 lb. Data based mostly on Edmunds data.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I’ve Been doing my homework on towable. Pretty sure I know what to look for. Before I sign papers, I’ll call auto makers tech line with a specific VIN number and verify. I’ve already done that once with a quick and comprehensive response.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #12

We towed a Jeep JKU for 6 years, now we tow a 2019 Dodge Ram 4x4.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #13

We've been pulling the 2011 Silverado extended cab with a long bed since we got it brand new. We fish in Alaska (9 trips driving up so far) and we LOAD the truck. We have a large cap on the bed. Going up we run at 8100 lb, and that includes a 17 cu ft chest freezer which is full of fish when we come home. Although we haven't weighed it coming down I expect it is running close to 9400-9500 lb. We've had the occasional tire problem (not unexpected) but nothing unusual.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5WTX View Post
I’ve Been doing my homework on towable. Pretty sure I know what to look for. Before I sign papers, I’ll call auto makers tech line with a specific VIN number and verify. I’ve already done that once with a quick and comprehensive response.

When we purchased or F150 the salesman pulled the shipping bill of laden weight from the shipping company that delivered it. It was within a couple of hundred pounds of what the scale weight was which included full fuel and a few tools. It was a good starting point for the real weight before I signed any paperwork. But I have to say that he was the best car salesman I have ever dealt with. Really knew his product and very helpful.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad