Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Having issues with RVI Brake2 auxillary brake system

Having problem with maintaining communication between unit and wireless transmitter. When first installed they pair as expected but after driving a short distance the transmitter flashes and says lost communication, sometimes it temporarily gets the communication back but eventually loses it for good. Has anyone experienced this with their RVI brake2 and if so did you find a way to correct this problem? Would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
2015 Chevrolet Equinox AWD
boltdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would call their customer service department and talk directly to the poeple who know the most about the device.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

I have had and I'm having the same problem. since I live in Colorado Springs I am going to just take mine up to Castle Rock and have them fix it. probably going up in about 2 weeks as I have a class up there, and will let you know what I find out
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltdave View Post
Having problem with maintaining communication between unit and wireless transmitter. When first installed they pair as expected but after driving a short distance the transmitter flashes and says lost communication, sometimes it temporarily gets the communication back but eventually loses it for good. Has anyone experienced this with their RVI brake2 and if so did you find a way to correct this problem? Would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
2015 Chevrolet Equinox AWD

It must be a Winnebago Journey thing. I bought that unit for my 2006 Winnebago Journey 36G and had the same problem. Called the factory and they said to try hanging the transmitter cable in the toad up on the sunvisor. That seemed to help, but only marginally. I finally decided that once the unit is set where you need it, you don't really need to monitor it constantly.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
I put the antenna in the drivers side upper corner of the windshield with Velcro.i also use the booster antenna too.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
I put the antenna in the drivers side upper corner of the windshield with Velcro.i also use the booster antenna too.
Where did you get a booster antenna?

Sammie
Old 04-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Call the mfr directly. They have them for additional cost.(of course)
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem and have talked to RVI and was informed that what is happening most likely is the signal is being blocked out by a transmitter in the area. They said it will generally always come back on within 5 miles and sure enough that seems to be the problem.

The green light on the right hand side of the monitor indicates that all is well and just wait for a couple of minutes and communication will be restored.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPA View Post
I had the same problem and have talked to RVI and was informed that what is happening most likely is the signal is being blocked out by a transmitter in the area. They said it will generally always come back on within 5 miles and sure enough that seems to be the problem.

The green light on the right hand side of the monitor indicates that all is well and just wait for a couple of minutes and communication will be restored.

I also had a conversation with a real nice tech at RVI and he said that they are aware of the issue but they are limited by law as to how much power they can use for their transmitters. He also said that the problem gets worse as the coach length gets longer. Now I can see the need for the power booster. Still IMHO once you get the unit set up properly, you really don't need the remote display.

Sammie
Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

I have a Tiffin 35 ' motorhome and have the same problem. I called them and got the same song and dance. However I have Bluetooth communicators that have up to a mile range. RVI' s problem is old tech.
Pretty disappointing. I bought into the updated version. NOT so updated!

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You guys all know that the wireless monitor is just that - a monitor to tell you what the RVi brake is doing? The braking is not effected by the radio link between the MH and your toad.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Works for me

When I first got mine, the antenna on the remote monitor broke off and I hobbled it together the first trip. I experienced similar problems as noted above, loss of communications a lot. I sent it back for warranty repair and it's been months as my RV was sitting in FL. Finally got to use it again and after driving 2400+ miles, I can state it's only failed once for a short period with a communications lost message. Otherwise it's worked flawlessly. My coach is 39' long and I had the Harley on the Hydralift on the back as well. I drooped the antenna on the RVI brake component up over my sun visor in the car and then stuck the end into a vent on the drivers side dash (one that probably blows towards the side window). The other thing is my remote monitor is plugged into a 12v receptacle up near the drivers side window, very close in fact. That may help the reception.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Same here with my 36' Itasca. I don't know how old your RVI unit is, but I had a problem with my first one not communicating. On our first 400 mile trip with it, I had communication maybe 50 miles. I contacted their customer service and they had me send it back. They could not replicate the problem, but sent me a brand new unit as a replacement. We just completed an 800 mile trip last weekend and it never once lost communication that I know of.

I would contact their customer service with your concern, they are first rate in customer relations.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake