Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #1

Question Help all you modifiers.

This question is for those who are bold/stupid enough and have grit enough to attempt things perhaps they shouldn't.

I am committed to installing a base plate on our on order Ford Escape 2022 PHEV. I have read existing threads on this topic. We are committed to this vehicle because we will be able to use it mainly as an electric car as a daily driver plus we want access to the 14KW battery for boon docking. Plus without tax incentives the HEV will cost us an extra $4000.

So the question:Picture of the HEV (black base plate orange sticker) with the base plate installed. Looking at the passenger side front tire area. Photo of (thanks to an irv2 member) the PHEV (orange power line) without a base plate installed. There appears to be a cooling system for the battery that is not there on the HEV.

Any advice on attempting to move the cooling system and hoses out of the way to install the base plate and then putting the cooling system back?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0968.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	349809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0973.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	349810  

Tskadberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looks to me like the frame components might be different on the two vehicles, so the base plate attachment point may not even be there, behind all that cooling stuff, or if it is, it’s probably different. Might have to find a good welder to customize the base plate IF you can get around all the cooling stuff.

When Ive done this sort of thing, I removed the offending parts with their mounts, installed what I needed to install, then went about modifying the mounts or fabricating new ones for the “stuff” with the goal being to re-use all the OE hoses/wires but in a slightly different location - whatever the OE stuff would allow.

This one looks pretty complicated and before I even started on it I’d confirm that the base plate mount points exist, AND that you’ll have room for the cooling stuff after the base plate is on. You’ll probably have to dig pretty far into it to find out unless someone can confirm that.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:21 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a heads-up.
I have a 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid. I installed a baseplate myself. While shopping for our hybrid, the literature from Ford said the plug-in electric version of the 2021 Escape was not flat-towable. Perhaps it is different for 2022 model year.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
Just a heads-up.

I have a 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid. I installed a baseplate myself. While shopping for our hybrid, the literature from Ford said the plug-in electric version of the 2021 Escape was not flat-towable. Perhaps it is different for 2022 model year.

Thanks for the heads up. Currently ford guides say 2020-2022 PHEV for flat towable. The proof will be if the setting exist on the dash computer.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
Old 11-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #5

You're just going to have to dive in and relocate and / or modify things.
An electric vehicle is not going to be flat towable.
A hybrid vehicle might be flat towable depending on how the axles are driven.
Owner's manual will have the answer.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
You're just going to have to dive in and relocate and / or modify things.
An electric vehicle is not going to be flat towable.
A hybrid vehicle might be flat towable depending on how the axles are driven.
Owner's manual will have the answer.

Just hear from Road Master

“We do have a baseplate in the design process for the Plug-in Hybrid.. We are revising our existing baseplate 524465-4 & -5. Unfortunately it is not ready yet..

Would you mind checking in with me in three weeks? Appreciate that... glenda”
Old 12-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #7

Thinking about purchasing an escape hybrid (not a plug in) The e-trailer Roadmaster Baseplate instructions state,

12. If your vehicle is not a plug-in: Proceed to the next step. If your vehicle is a Plug-in Hybrid: On the passen- ger side only, unplug the air switch pump and unclip the harness from the shutter housing. Then, remove one 8mm screw attaching the air pump to the shutter housing and pull out to release it (Fig.V). Let it hang down for now.

16. Repeat steps 14 and 15 for the passenger side. If your vehicle is not a plug-in: Proceed to the next step. If your vehicle is a Plug-in Hybrid: Ensure that the air pump is to the outside of the mount so it can be attached to the welded mount on the main receiver brace (Fig.Y).

Hope this helps
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote