Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Help: heading to Sitka Alaska

I am heading to Sitka Alaska via road and ferry around June 15th or so. Am taking my New Coachmen , Prism (MB Sperinter ) now I just found out will be towing my daughters Ford fiesta on a dolly as it’s a auto.
Now for my question as I am new to RVing and have no experience using a dolly. What should I be checking, when towing ETC. ANY suggestions are welcomed.
van_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

You'd best check with the Marine Highway folks. For sure you'll have to separate the toad and rig if they load through the side of the ferry at Sitka. (I haven't been to Sitka on the ferry.) Same for the rest of the ferry stops except for Prince Rupert. They load and unload through the rear at PR. Don't know about Bellingham. What you'll be doing with the dolly, I don't know. I've loaded at Haines, Skagway, Juneau, Petersburg, Wrangle, Ketchikan, and PR. All but PR loaded and unloaded through the side and required a turn around on the car deck of the boat either when loading or unloading. I did see them back a couple of truck campers down the ramp when loading a full boat and these were the last vehicles in. You'll also need a separate driver for the toad and the Coachman. They'll probably load and unload at different times and be placed at different parts at the boat for travel.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pgman1 pretty much said it all...I have never pulled a dolly but have seen many responses about them and the biggest key is tightening the wheel straps about 50 miles out.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just remember, Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock probably won't be there.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Pgman1

Any preps for the car?
van_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Nothing special done on the toad to get it on and off the boats. Be sure you follow the load crew directions specifically. Rather than try to park it your way by following your own inclinations. They really do know best. You are ultimately responsible for the vehicle's safety, however, if there's any question, it's easy to stop right there and talk to them. I've had these guys give me directions to turn a 38' and a 40' rig around inside the boat with absolute minimal clearance on all corners. DW always drove the toad and also never had any problems either. You can't go too slow loading or unloading. When loading at Skagway at an extreme low tide, we had to wait while they shored up the ramp joint between the lower floating dock and the ramp down to it, but we never dragged bottom or even touched. The loadmasters on the boats are excellent. I'm sure you are aware that the propane on the rig will have to be turned off before loading and must stay off until the rig leaves the boat. They'll check to confirm it's off, and will seal the compartment with a piece of their tape. We carried frozen half gallon milk cartons for the fridge, but never needed them as our longest run was only 3 hours. We got off at each stop for 2-3 days, and after the second leg we didn't bother with the ice anymore. We did find the food served on the boats was quite good for cafeteria food, and reasonably priced, but meal hours were limited so check before you lock in your plans.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote