Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #15

I am doing the exact thing currently. I am using Blue Ox tow bar and base plate, Airforce one brake system and of course the lights. I took my time and have just finished the base plates, mounted the airforce one system and the plug for the lights. I found I had to remove the grill and bumper to get the baseplate, break away switch, air connection and light plug mounted. This took about 16 hours to complete. Still left, all the final airforce one hook ups and the lights. Attached are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210907_205207500.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	343119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210911_202244537.jpg
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	343120  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210911_202255447.jpg
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	343121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210911_202301587.jpg
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	343122  

bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 10:55 PM   #16

Nice work. Wish I could come pay you to do mine! I don't have the resources to tackle this myself, and I am not as mechanically inclined (not yet hopefully).

I called around a few local shops, and I get the sense that they don't do this regularly and would be winging it. There was one shop who said they did it on a few jeeps and that they should be able to figure it out...

I am looking to hit the road full-time in a few months, so my SO and I may end up just driving separate or hiring someone to transport the truck south. I think the options are too limited here in northern MN.
JCtravelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #17

I got a RV dealership that will do the install. Baseplate, lighting, and gonna get a new towbar for peace of mind.

Since the RV has the roadmaster9000 setup. Is it safe to keep this? Am I correct in thinking the air brake connection will be installed as part of the base plate install? To hook up the from the cylinder inside the toad?
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #18

On mine the Airforce One system is stand alone and has nothing to do with the base plate. Your installer should be able to point you in the right direction.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammond1980 View Post
On mine the Airforce One system is stand alone and has nothing to do with the base plate. Your installer should be able to point you in the right direction.
Oh crap. So in your pic it looks like there is a connector for your air line assuming you have air brakes in your coach. That was part of your airforce one install and not the baseplate? I'll have to ask the dealer. I didn't want the install completed and then realize there are no hookups for the air brake system. Hope that made sense, and I am not totally clueless. I wonder then if i need a whole new supplemental brake system. Sounds like I will be dumping alot of $$$.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
The base plate is separate from the brake install.

The shop should be able to do the brake install, there are detailed instructions on the Brakemaster website.

You will have to get a cylinder mount that is bolted in front of the seat base, this is what the brakemaste cylinder attaches to. These are made specific to the vehicle, I had to buy one for my jeep. It installs directly in front of the seat, just have to remove some of the seat base boles and install the anchor plate, a 10 minute job max.

They will have to run an air line with quick disconnect and mount it under the dash, this is what the air cylinder attaches to and what provide air from the motorhome to the vehicle. There will be another quick disconnect on the front of the vehicle, a short hose will then connect to the motorhome when you are hooking up the tow bar.

The picture that you posted shows the Brakemaster light, It requires a wire to be tied into the vehicles brake light system, pretty straight forward, just have to fine a wire that has 12 volts on it when the brake pedal is pressed. This is optional but I find that it is nice to have, when braking the light comes on showing you that the system is working.

I installed the entire base plate and braking system myself. The base plate came with good instructions along with the braking system. If the shop hasn't done a lot of these you'll be paying for them to learn but it is doable for anyone with average mechanical skills.

Don't get discouraged, my wife take our rig solo all the time pulling our jeep. Once everything is set up it's pretty simple.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The picture that you posted shows the Brakemaster light, It requires a wire to be tied into the vehicles brake light system, pretty straight forward, just have to fine a wire that has 12 volts on it when the brake pedal is pressed. This is optional but I find that it is nice to have, when braking the light comes on showing you that the system is working.
Thank you for clarifying and for the encouragement. As for the brakemaster light, this should still work without having to modify anything despite having a different toad? Or, would it need to be wired again?

Tags
tow