Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #1

Help me learn how to flat tow my ram1500

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH. The previous owner included a Blue ox tow bar (serviced 2014?) and roadmaster 9000 braking system. I have a 5th gen 2019 Ram1500. I understand I need to find a baseplate for this system to get installed in the truck.

Can I get some advice on how to go about doing this. I am new to flat towing and a little lost. Is 2 months a reasonable time frame to get this in working order?

Previous owner towed a jeep. Here are some pictures if it helps. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	563.5 KB
ID:	342752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	536.1 KB
ID:	342753  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	342754  
JCtravelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #2

My other concern is finding a shop to work on my truck to get wiring/lights done with the baseplate install. Can anyone recommend a place in northern Minnesota or how to find a reliable mechanic? Should I be looking for a RV dealership or a RAM dealership if I try to go that route. Not looking to do a self install.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Is your pick up 4 wheel drive?
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You best check if your RAM can be flat towed. As for the tow bar assemble its not that big of a job if you take your time. I just did my 2003 2 wheel drive Ranger using the Blue Ox stuff. For the record the Ranger with with an automatic trans is NOT flat tow ready. To make it work I remove the drive shaft by unbolting it at the rear. The shaft stays in the tranty and the shaft gets bolted up and out of the way under the truck bed for towing. Takes me about ten minutes to get the truck ready for towing.

As for the rear tail lights I added a second 1157 lamp in the existing tail lamp housings and ran new wiring up to the front electrical connector. Blue Ox offers an kit for the wiring. Etrailer is another good source.
Sparky19053 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I looked at the Dingy Guide for 2019, the only Dodge that it shows is a Durango.

This does not mean you can't tow yours but you will have to see what might be required.

If you decide you can tow your Dodge Ram the installation of a base plate is pretty straight forward, almost any shop could do it if you don't want to fool with it.

You will have to get an anchor plate to install in the cab of the truck that the Brakemaster air cylinder attaches to.

I decided to just go ahead install separate bulbs in the tail lights of my jeep that are the turn signal and running lights. The brake lights of my jeep come on when the brake pedal is pressed.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCtravelRN View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH. The previous owner included a Blue ox tow bar (serviced 2014?) and roadmaster 9000 braking system. I have a 5th gen 2019 Ram1500. I understand I need to find a baseplate for this system to get installed in the truck.

Can I get some advice on how to go about doing this. I am new to flat towing and a little lost. Is 2 months a reasonable time frame to get this in working order?

Previous owner towed a jeep. Here are some pictures if it helps. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.
The best thing to do is get on the phone to Blue Ox. They show a baseplate for it. Looking up the truck only the 4wd can be flat towed.

Since you sound new to the world of flat towing, I would highly recommend you find a shop experienced in installing and setting up your baseplate, truck wiring, and breaking system.

Flat towing anything behind a DP is not something to be taken lightly. One mistake can end in disaster. I grew up in the auto repair industry. I have cut cars in half and put them back together. I just had a baseplate put on my 2018 Fusion Hybrid and I am really glad I had my trusty RV experts do it. They pointed out several issues specific to my make and model. Plus pointed out a bunch of pointers to safely flat tow.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My other concern is finding a shop to work on my truck to get wiring/lights done with the baseplate install. Can anyone recommend a place in northern Minnesota or how to find a reliable mechanic? Should I be looking for a RV dealership or a RAM dealership if I try to go that route. Not looking to do a self install.
I would doubt you will find a Ram dealer that would install that. If you were in SE Minnesota I could point you to a shop. Two months is going to cut it close. Most Minnesota RV are very busy this time of year. Maybe Up Nort you can find a shop you betcha.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. My ram is a 4x4, and I am certain it can be flat towed. What shop in SE MN? I think I will try to get a baseplate installed that is compatible with the blue ox bars and start there. Then, I will look into the brake light situation. I will also look into getting that anchor for under the seat to attach the cylinder. Anything else I am missing? Suggestions? Reading materials? Thanks all.

ALSO: anyone know what the control panel is right next to the roadmaster brake light in the picture above? I am learning everything from scratch and it is alot! Not new to RVing, but new to class A/DP.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
ALSO: anyone know what the control panel is right next to the roadmaster brake light in the picture above? I am learning everything from scratch and it is alot! Not new to RVing, but new to class A/DP.
I don’t recall what the name of it is, but it displays all the engine and trip information. You can check everything from engine temp, oil pressure, rpm, gear, and it also toggles through trip information. It’s kind of complicated to operate so you need to read your owners manual for the correct sequence to scroll through the various information. The main thing to know, if you start your engine and something is wrong a light on the dash will light telling you to check it. Mine always comes on to indicate low air pressure. As soon as it airs up it goes back to normal and you can toggle through the various information.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:55 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You might try Steinbring RV in Garfield, MN. (320)-834-6333. They're a large RV dealership. If they're not busy, I'm sure they can help or steer you to someone local.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. My ram is a 4x4, and I am certain it can be flat towed. What shop in SE MN? I think I will try to get a baseplate installed that is compatible with the blue ox bars and start there. Then, I will look into the brake light situation. I will also look into getting that anchor for under the seat to attach the cylinder. Anything else I am missing? Suggestions? Reading materials? Thanks all.

I had my last base plates installed at a hitch and trailer shop. They knew exactly what I needed and hooked up the electric wire to make the toad brake lights
kengardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I looked at the Dingy Guide for 2019, the only Dodge that it shows is a Durango.
Prolly have to look at Ram. It's not a Dodge anymore.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #14

What do you guys think about the tow bar itself? I am wondering if I should just invest in a completely new system rather than salvaging what was given to me. I have no idea how often it was used.

Tags
tow