Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
RVI down vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
The OP says he only needs the brake 3 times per year and wants MINIMAL installation.

RVI is the simplest. With wireless adapter there is NO drilling through firewall. Ready brake is NOT what I would call easy install.
I have the RVI Brake 3 system pulling a 1/2 ton GMC truck with a 42' DP and I do not recommend it. My wireless breakaway system lasted all of 350 miles before it went dead and I had to drill the firewall. The tablet constantly drops it's handshake with the brake and beeps an annoying error message every 3 or 4 minutes. Twice in just over a year I've had to dig out the QR codes in the manual and re-synch the tablet to the brake. For some reason it keeps losing its synch settings. I definitely will not buy RVI again.
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #44

Using an RVi3 on my TJ.

Works well.

You have to watch how many radio RF devices you're using.... wifi, bluetooth, etc. in the vicinity of the tablet.
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Supp Brakes

I have a 2014 38' DP, Tiffin Allegro bus with over 50,000 miles on it almost all of them towing my 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. I have an air force one system but almost never use it. Just got back from a 2000 mi colorado trip. Never hooked up the supp brakes once. For my coach, I just don't need them. But lots of different coaches out there with lesser brake systems. When I do use it the airforce one is great
dieseldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:02 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.readybrake.com/ I highly recommend. I have installed them myself on a Jeep Wrangler, GMC Envoy, & GMC S-15 Jimmy. Take your time and follow the directions. The folks at Night Shift Auto are great to work with, tell them what you are installing it on and they will get you the exact necessary parts. I have used it to tow all over US and Alaska.
John Sloop
Dripping Springs, TX
hawkeye78299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Roadmaster

as long as youre using the Roadmaster tow bar (i use their Nighthawk) you should check out their "Invisibrake". Permanent installation and nothing to do other than plug it in when you hitch up. works like a charm.

Towing a 21 Jeep Gladiator behind the Newmar Superstar
dherrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:12 PM   #48

RV brake

Just purchased and am now using the RVi 3 and I LOVE LOVE it.
Super easy to set up, good instructions and it works great.
Can't comment on other products but am beyond happy with this product.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:36 PM   #49

I add my vote (and recommendation) for the Ready Brute Elite 2, hands down. With the caveat that we have a gasser.....air-brake assisted solutions were not researched.

Why Ready Brake?

1) simple. I adjusted the brake cable once. It now works consistently and flawlessly by simply connecting the cable from the Ready Brute tow bar to the loop at the front of my bumper. No extra boxes to store away or mount under the hood...etc, etc.

2) quick. It takes 5 seconds during hook up or unhooking....done!

3) proportional. (without any adjustments or fussing or "training") The harder you stop the RV, the harder the weight of the jeep pushes on the tow bar and then the harder the jeep brake is activated.
4) reliable. No extra gear to fail. No electronics to power or have to mess with fuses to save toad battery.
Visionquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldug View Post
I have a 2014 38' DP, Tiffin Allegro bus with over 50,000 miles on it almost all of them towing my 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. I have an air force one system but almost never use it. Just got back from a 2000 mi colorado trip. Never hooked up the supp brakes once. For my coach, I just don't need them. But lots of different coaches out there with lesser brake systems. When I do use it the airforce one is great
When it's not hooked up:

1. You have no braking system on the toad in the event of a breakaway.

2. Your minimum (panic) stopping distance is significantly longer.

It's not about the braking system on the coach, which seems to be a common misconception. It's about the weight on the toad's unbraked axles and the traction available on the coach's tires. This is a simple matter of fairly basic physics. There are a couple of threads on this that show the math.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:54 PM   #51

Check out the Ready Brake from NSA. I utilize the Ready Brute Elite, which incorporates the Ready Brake into the tow bar, but it sounds like you already have a tow bar, so the Ready Brake may be all that you need.
forkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:03 PM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
NSA Ready Brute Elite - Tow Bar with built in braking system - dash mount brake pilot light - lifetime warranty
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Just another "shout out" for ReadyBrake. Their customer service can't be beat. We've been using ours for the last 4 toads.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #54

We picked the Demco Stay-n-Play Duo. We didn't want to have to take a unit in and out all the time, ours is an installed unit. It has worked fantastic and is proportional and progressive braking. Easy to use, after the hookup, flip a switch in the Jeep and it is activated.
VentanaOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:37 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
I use an RVI Brake 2. Easy to install and it works. It’s braking is proportional. On a slow stop it provides minimal braking. On a hard stop it gives a high level of braking. It also provides feedback inside the coach when braking is activated.

Regards, Jerry
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:07 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad51 View Post
As a part timer, I like the Patriot II drop in system. As others have noted, it sets up in about 1 minute and gives proportional braking with an operational display and force setting range right from the dash of your coach.
When you are done towing, it removes completely in about 30 seconds.
You can either power it from a hot 12 volt outlet connected to the coach, or plug it in to a lithium power pack (jump pack). That's what I do. The jump pack lasts for a 2-3 long travel days.
I'm towing a 2019 Jeep Wrangler (automatic).
Can you post or DM me the lithium power supply you use? That’s a great idea!
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake