Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flharleycop View Post
Can you post or DM me the lithium power supply you use? That’s a great idea!
Please post, I could use the info. TIA
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2022, 08:40 PM   #58

National RV Owners Club
Bill I have used a BrakeBuddy II select for four years with no trouble , Yes it has proportional braking that I use exclusively , also you can adjust the air pressure to adjust for the weight of your Todd .
We live in Alabama but have made two trips through the Rockies , Wyoming , Montana ,South Dakota and several trips through the Smokey Mountains. We have a 2005 National Dolphin and tow a 2006 Tacoma 4X4 . As far as a rating I have nothing to compare it to since its the only braking system I have used . But I am happy with it .
Old 06-17-2022, 07:04 AM   #59

I too have the RVI Brake system pulling a 2021 Rubicon with a 40' DP and I do not recommend it. Just like some others, the tablet constantly drops it's handshake with the brake and beeps an annoying error message every 3 or 4 minutes. I have moved the hub and tablet all over, turned off all blue tooth, modems, etc. with no luck. Even sent it back to RVI for them to check out. Sent me new TPMS's which was nice, but it you can't see the numbers on the tablet due to communication issues.... Seeing some of the others having issues, maybe DP's over 38'? are too long for the RVI system. I definitely will not buy RVI again.
robiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:26 AM   #60
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robiwan View Post
I too have the RVI Brake system pulling a 2021 Rubicon with a 40' DP and I do not recommend it. Just like some others, the tablet constantly drops it's handshake with the brake and beeps an annoying error message every 3 or 4 minutes. I have moved the hub and tablet all over, turned off all blue tooth, modems, etc. with no luck. Even sent it back to RVI for them to check out. Sent me new TPMS's which was nice, but it you can't see the numbers on the tablet due to communication issues.... Seeing some of the others having issues, maybe DP's over 38'? are too long for the RVI system. I definitely will not buy RVI again.

RVI3 working fine for me with 43’ DP. I position the hub about halfway in the back of the RV. Where do you have your hub ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:55 AM   #61

We have a 2021 Coachmen Encore 35' flat towing a 2020 2dr Rubicon. We are using the Blue Ox Patriot 3. Very easy to use and set up!
SCWienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #62

Forest River Owners Club
HELP needed - supplemental brake system

2019 Coachmen Mirada 35bh
2011 Wrangler Unlimited 70th Anniversary Softop

Have used all Blue Ox towing gear, including the Patriot 3, since buying the Jeep in 2018 - first with a 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun, now the Mirada (dolly towed before that).

Everything works great and super easy to set each time.
2019 Coachmen Mirada 35BH; 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MBS (Traded); 2015 Coachmen Freelander 32BH (Traded); 2011 Coachmen Freelander 31SS (Traded); 2005 TrailCruiser 30SS (Traded); 1999 Forest River Flagstaff (25') (Traded)
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Supplement brake system

I really like my Demco Stay and Play Duo system.
Just flip the switch and it’s ready to go.
Bill Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #64

We use the NSA Ready Brake for our 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I like the fact that it is just mechanical, no electronics to hook up or adjust. I also like that there is nothing to remove from the Jeep (and store) before you can drive it, just unhook the tow bar and two cables (one for the brake and one for the brake-away) and your done. Took me less than an hour to install.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Back in 2006 I added the Night Shift Auto Ready Brute Elite braking system along with their Rock Deflector Screen, wiring harness for the toad's tail lights, and their emergency break-away kit. 40,000 miles later - many of those out west in the mountains, that setup is still working perfectly. It is easy to hook-up and detach, there is a light on the dash that tells me when it applies the toads brakes, I've had no problems with lockups or any other issues that more automated system might encounter. For me, it was an excellent purchase.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:52 PM   #66

Ready brake

I will also vote for ready brake. I have one for my 2014 wrangler sport. It works well. Is easy to connect just 2 cables for the brake and breakaway. I installed the led, (included) in the dash and ran a ground wire to the rear. Power is supplied to light from anywhere under dash. Instead of hooking the indicator light to the ready brake I added a second brakelight switch to the Jeep brake pedal. Roadmaster makes kits for most vehicles. Now when the brake pedal moves On the Jeep the led on motorhome dash lights up. The readybrake only applies during moderate to heavy braking. No need for the Jeep to try to stop the motorhome during regular braking. I’ve been using it for a few years now and it works very well for me
Discovery01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:49 AM   #67

Hello pasdad1, I have moved the hub from mid to all the way back against closet wall with no luck. Midway it would not connect to RVI brake in jeep, all the way back it would no connect to front MH tires. I have it on the top of opening from the bath to bedroom, so the antenna is sticking down into door opening. This seems to be the best compromise, but the RVI brake connects and disconnects constantly, and the front tires of MH come and go.... I am happy for you that its works well!
Old 06-19-2022, 05:53 AM   #68
Community Moderator

HELP needed - supplemental brake system

Quote:
Originally Posted by robiwan View Post
Hello Pasdd1, I have moved the hub from mid to all the way back against closet wall with no luck. Midway it would not connect to RVI brake in jeep, all the way back it would no connect to front MH tires. I have it on the top of opening from the bath to bedroom, so the antenna is sticking down into door opening. This seems to be the best compromise, but the RVI brake connects and disconnects constantly, and the front tires of MH come and go.... I am happy for you that its works well!

Yes, I have heard the TPMS is worthless. I would ditch that part and keep the brake. Do you keep the hub plugged in all the time? Or try to run it on the rechargeable battery exclusively?

I keep mine plugged in to the charger whenever it is in use….same with the tablet.

I give a vote for Eez-tire TPMS if you are ready for another one.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:58 AM   #69

Morn'n, I have both hub and tablet plugged in all the time when travelling. I will look into that TPMS, thanks!

Tags
brake