Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

Question Help Please: Towing Ford Focus with Thor Challenger

I recently changed from 2007 Fleetwood Discovery diesel pusher to a gas powered 2016 Thor Challenger 37KT. I was just tired of diesel headaches and expense (I'm not a mechanical person) -- not to mention that I got a luxury coach for $100,000 or more less than a new Discovery would have cost me. I was towing a Chevy Traverse, but at almost 4,800 lbs I thought it would be best to trade it for something lighter (I gave up a lot of power and torque, plus 4,800 lbs is uncomfortably close to the 5,000 lb max tow weight).

I traded the 2012 Traverse for a 2015 Focus yesterday (boy, does it look a lot smaller in my car port!). It is about 1,700 lbs lighter, 2 feet shorter, and 6.6 inches narrower than the Traverse.

I have a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and a Blue Ox Autostop supplemental breaking system with breakaway. I was getting ready to order the base plate when I realized I may need to drop the receiver a few inches (the Focus is much lower than the Traverse). I'll have to measure to know what size high-low hitch adapter.

Questions I have about this for any of you towing a Focus are:

1. What size high-low adapter do you use?
2. What kind of electrical connection do you use? (what pin cable, etc.)
3. Did you install a battery kill switch? If so, what brand?

Any advice, references, etc. you can offer would also be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
rbmartiniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
1. Six inch drop at hitch for Challenger 37KT and Ford Fiesta. Not enough drop but I bought Demco Commander tow bar that would give me another three inch drop. Fiesta is LOW so tow bar drags more often than I like. But nothing ever damaged.
Six pin connectors between KT and Fiesta - that gave me a spare pair for 12v from coach to keep towd battery charged. Cable is DIY
3. Bat kill switch not required with manual tran. on our Fiesta.
Welcome to the Challenger family.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:43 AM   #3

8" drop, mounted separate lights in tail lights, used 7 pin bargeman connection, using blue ox acclaim
Old 10-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
1: I use a 6" drop reciever. It gets me to about 2-3" higher on the reciever side to the base plate connections. I feel its better to be off a little in this direction to minimize dragging on uneven driveways plus minimize the extra length and leverage the larger drop recievers have.
2: I wired my own 6 pin cable. An off the shelf 6 or 7 pin cable should work just fine too. I use one pin for a charge line to the toad battery.
3: I disconnect my battery with a manual knife switch mounted on the positive terminal post. It fits underneath the plastic battery cover fine with a small modification to the snap clips on one side of the cover. The knife switch was modified to fit the slightly larger diameter positive terminal post. They are made to fit the smaller diameter negative post. The charge line is connected to the always hot side of the knife switch. I do not remove the negative cable.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
1: I use a 6" drop reciever. It gets me to about 2-3" higher on the reciever side to the base plate connections. I feel its better to be off a little in this direction to minimize dragging on uneven driveways plus minimize the extra length and leverage the larger drop recievers have.
2: I wired my own 6 pin cable. An off the shelf 6 or 7 pin cable should work just fine too. I use one pin for a charge line to the toad battery.
3: I disconnect my battery with a manual knife switch mounted on the positive terminal post. It fits underneath the plastic battery cover fine with a small modification to the snap clips on one side of the cover. The knife switch was modified to fit the slightly larger diameter positive terminal post. They are made to fit the smaller diameter negative post. The charge line is connected to the always hot side of the knife switch. I do not remove the negative cable.
From what i have read ,there still is a chance that current could get to the tranny and try to put it into gear with your setup.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
From what i have read ,there still is a chance that current could get to the tranny and try to put it into gear with your setup.
I'd be interested in hearing how that could happen. If I have a problem I'll get back to you and let you know.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

i don't know either, but someone said the current might be able to travel thru the brake unit and get back to the positive lead and enable a possibility of getting to the tranny.

Tags
ford, thor, tow, towing