Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Help, Towed pushing/pulling RV

Hi All,

This question may be a repeat, sorry if it is.

I am looking for advice for a friend who is on his maiden voyage in his new, 2021 Class C.

First: he is no stranger to pulling heavy equipment on a trailer behind a one ton and he is a very capable guy.

The problem: his towed vehicle is pushing/pulling him all over the road at speeds over 35 mph. It is not bad on new pavement with no wind but with just the slightest wind or road "conditions" he is experiencing an unsafe situation to the point of leaving the towed behind for the remainder of their trip. The issue is when cruising, not breaking.

This is his first trip with the new RV and new to him towed vehicle. He has logged 700 miles on this trip before unhooking the towed and leaving it behind.

The Details:
*RV is a 2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B (Tow capacity is 7,500 lbs). Drives great
w/o towed.
*Towed is a newer Honda CRV (new to him and drives well on it's own with a
new alignment. GVW is 4,200 lbs, empty is around 3,200 lbs)
*Tow set up is a Road Master Flacon All Terrain, same for baseplate.
*Supplemental breaking system is not the issue.

I am hoping someone here has overcome a similar issue and can share some wisdom for him. I have shared this site with him and he will likely see this thread.

Let me know if you need more info and Thank You for any advice you can give.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Snow66-

1) What model year CRV?
2) What is the height difference (if any) between the two ends of the towbar?
3) What does the label in the Redhawk list for GVWR, GCWR and OCCC?
4) How do you know that supplemental braking is not the issue?
5) Are there any extensions between hitch and towbar?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #3

I had a similar problem when we first got the CRV in 2012.
Have him disconnect the towed, but leave the tow bar in the MH receiver. Check the side to side movement, slop, between the draw bar on the tow bar and the MH receiver, I’ll guess there is between a 1/16” and 1/8” side to side play. At the end of the extended tow bar ~48” , that’s about 3” of tail wag 3500lbs.
My solution was to wedge in a couple of washers and use a hitch tight (or any other anti wobble device. That cured my issue with the tail wagging the dog, the CRV still tows without any problems.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Loney View Post
Ill guess there is between a 1/16 and 1/8 side to side play. At the end of the extended tow bar ~48 , thats about 3 of tail wag 3500lbs.
If that is a problem, I found the Roadmaster Quiet Hitch a decent solution. Link is here. Yes, I know $49 is a lot to pay for a glorified u-bolt.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Some slop in the receiver isn't all that unusual and doesn't normally cause a problem like that. But if the toad isn't tracking well, any slop in the receiver exacerbates the problem.

It seems clear the CRV isn't tracking properly - it should stay docilely behind the coach and follow it. An off-center or too-high towbar or off-center base plate (on the CRV) can cause tail-wag; so can improperly set alignment on the CRV. Knobby "off-road" tires can also cause a light vehicle to track weirdly when towed. And the steering wheel in the CRV should be unlocked and free to turn, so the tires can adjust to the coach track.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

Thanks for all the advice so far. I am sending this link to my friend with the issue so he can see the ideas and questions himself.

You are all a great group and resource.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips so far, I am the friend/owner. The height difference is within spec of the tow bar at 2.75” (3” spec). I did buy and briefly test a 2” drop before the trip but it seemed to make no difference and extended the hitch (more leverage) so I decided to drive without it. I will try that again and also try a 3” drop.

The potential slop in the bar makes sense, I will try the u-bolt.

It’s a new to us 2012 CRV with 67K miles on it. I installed the plate myself and there was zero evidence of any prior front end damage when we had the bumper facade off. It has an alignment and tracks well alone. Newer highway tread tires.

The base weight from the factory is 11,500, with a max of 14,500 allowing 3,000 lbs of cargo. GCWR is 22,000.

Thanks for the ideas, it gives me a direction to go.

More ideas are certainly welcome.
thompstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is the steering wheel locked or is it free to turn when you are towing it?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #9

OK, since all of the good suggestions have already been stated, I'm going 'out of the box' here.

Tire pressures in the RV and toad are very important. Too much pressure and you can get wandering. To little and things get mushy. Get the RV weighed and check tire pressures as they relate to the tire size and weight.

Check and double check the hitch receiver on the RV for tightness and/or defects. Just the other day another owner posted where his receiver had broken and the toad and RV departed company. Carefully check all welds.

BTW, the 2012 CRV is a nice vehicle to tow. I towed a 2009 CRV and a 2014 CRV as well as four SOB toads. I like the CRV's the best!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #10

I didn't see it mentioned, but are both of the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain arms locked when towing? If one arm fails to lock you can get that swaying motion.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Is the steering wheel locked or is it free to turn when you are towing it?
Free to turn
Old 05-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
OK, since all of the good suggestions have already been stated, I'm going 'out of the box' here.

Tire pressures in the RV and toad are very important. Too much pressure and you can get wandering. To little and things get mushy. Get the RV weighed and check tire pressures as they relate to the tire size and weight.

Check and double check the hitch receiver on the RV for tightness and/or defects. Just the other day another owner posted where his receiver had broken and the toad and RV departed company. Carefully check all welds.

BTW, the 2012 CRV is a nice vehicle to tow. I towed a 2009 CRV and a 2014 CRV as well as four SOB toads. I like the CRV's the best!
Good idea. Ill check axle weights and pressures when I get home
Old 05-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #13

You said it was a newer crv. When I was researching towing mine, a 2014 crv, I was told that it was the last year that could be towed wheels down.
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduemig View Post
You said it was a newer crv. When I was researching towing mine, a 2014 crv, I was told that it was the last year that could be towed wheels down.
He also said it is a 2012 CRV.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towed