Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Help w Toad setup for Jeep

I purchased an older model Jeep and I am in need to get this ready to tow ASAP. Illness in DWs family.
I have a Blue Ox but need to know how I can fit the Jeep w/o purchasing the front base plate from BO.

Has anyone removed the ends from the towbar and add bracket so I could utilize my towbar?
Any assistance is appreciated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #2

Depending on the year of the Jeep an aftermarket bumper with correctly welded D ring tabs would work. I would not jury rig anything. search the forums there are many threads on this. Also many you tubes.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #3

Here is the part you need to bolt onto your aftermarket steel bumper. I did this for a couple years. Just be sure to keep the towbar close to level.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-8000-bo.htm
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
You did not specify what year of Jeep. It makes a difference.

If you have an aftermarket bumper with d-ring tabs suitable for towing, these adapters from Blue Ox will work with your tow bar.

These are what I use for my Maximus-3 tow bar mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Ox adapters.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	298364  
Old 08-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #5

TJDave, My Jeep is a 2000 TJ. It currently has the original bumper but I will purchase one for this project. Do you know if aftermarket bumper with d-ring tabs suitable for towing is stated anywhere when buying one?

Crasher, I may have to call and see what Rockhard Bumpers are suitable for towing. Or maybe I could bolt the adapters from BO onto any steel bumper?

I do make it a point to ensure the towbar is level. Heard too many bad stories.
Trying to get this ready in a 9 days will be a trick.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's responses.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #6

You could probably bolt the brackets onto any offroad steel bumper if the bumper is securely attached to the frame rails. The Rockhard bumper has the holes for the brackets. They are located in NE.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad5 View Post
I purchased an older model Jeep and I am in need to get this ready to tow ASAP. Illness in DWs family.
I have a Blue Ox but need to know how I can fit the Jeep w/o purchasing the front base plate from BO.

Has anyone removed the ends from the towbar and add bracket so I could utilize my towbar?
Any assistance is appreciated
Grandad5,
First off, a 2000 TJ is flat towable, without any special circumstances or prep. All the model year TJ's did have a steering lock. All that's needed to take care of this is insert the key, turn it one click towards ON and that's it. DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION ON. One click in clockwise rotation will unlock the steering lock but will not energize any part of the electrical system.
The rest of the prep is in your owners manual but, in short, your transfer case goes into NEUTRAL and your transmission, if it's a stick, into second gear. Or, if it's an automatic, goes into PARK. Make sure the parking brake is OFF. You are DONE.

Now, if you really want to save money, you CAN TOW YOUR TJ WITH THE STOCK FRONT BUMPER. I have done it many, many times. Contrary to many people thinking you're gonna tear that bumper off and kill hundreds of thousands of humanoids, if it's done properly, it works like a charm.

What I mean by being done properly is, adapter tow brackets can be purchased that will BOLT FLAT TO THE FRONT FACE OF THAT BUMPER. But, and here is where it's critical. What's needed is a BACKING plate on the back side of that bumper sheet metal. It needs to be of at least the same size in all dimensions, as the front tow brackets. That way, you spread the torque load out and grab more metal to support towing.

In essence, all you'd be doing is, sandwiching the original bumper between the new tow brackets and, a backing plate on the back side.

This method of hooking up is considerably cheaper than ANY other method but, for about 99.9999% of us folks that tow Jeeps, we choose to either purchase an aftermarket front bumper that has *D-ring* brackets on them to be used for recovery when your jeep get's stuck or, your buddy gets stuck and you latch onto those with cables/chains/tow straps/winch cables etc., etc. etc. Or, they purchase a base plate.
I have and aftermarket bumper that has those D-ring brackets and have towed half way around the U.S. without one single issue. I'm not a big fan of base plates for Jeeps for many reasons but, to each his own. The method I described to you again, is by far the cheapest but, will definitely work.

Without the use of a backing plate behind the bumper, you run the risk of actually pulling the bolt/nut's right through the sheet metal bumper. With the use of backing plates, you spread that load out way beyond the bolts. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:25 AM   #8

Nine days for lights, brakes, and an aftermarket bumper? That's gonna take some work.

LoD Offroad also makes jeep bumpers suitable for towing, along with the appropriate adapters to connect it to your blueox tow bar. No baseplate needed.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Might have been helpful if you'd included some photos of your Jeep. I'm on my 7th Jeep CJ/Wrangler but don't have the stock configuration of every year memorized, not to mention, you didn't say if it was even still stock.

As you've already figured out, there are many options but NONE include simply bolting/welding a bracket to the stock bumper. At the very LEAST it must be reinforced.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #10

I did all my own. Milled a slot through the existing bumper passing through with 2.5x.375 flat to pick up existing 5/8” bolts attaching the winch to the frame rails. Second half of the mount is welded on to the bumper. Safety chain loops are 1/2 cable clamp u-bolts installed through existing holes in factory bumper. Made my own pins using 5/8 bolts trimmed and drilled for hair clip pins to secure castellated nuts. Total cost for used tow bar and assorted hardware was about $85. Safety chains were $42. While I was at it I also milled a 2.5 inch square on center and welded in a 2” receiver box that also picks up existing holes in the front crossmember.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C32BAA28-8C8D-4888-B5CC-54514B46B7E4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	298431   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E620947-3FD3-4B47-B462-EC68493C0AA4.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	298432  

L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #11

Okay, I've been busy.
Hopefully a picture of my jeep is attached??
Anyway after reading everyone's posts, and thank you for your responses, this morning I set out to purchase a steel Smittybilt bumper from 4Wheel Parts and use the D-rings to attach my Blue Ox tow bar. Safe, simple, not the most cost effective but error on the safe side.
Issue, after talking to Les with BO he said all they had available would be for a 7/8" diameter pin. They were backordered on the 1" size
Well all the aftermarket bumpers seem to have a 1" for the pin.
Okay, we what about purchasing the BO bracket that my current towbar will work with and I'll bolt it onto the steel bumper (the one I have yet to order). Nope those are also on backorder.
Seems like one of those days
Old 08-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #12

Here is the best picture I have of the front
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200821_195531.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	298483  
Old 08-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad5 View Post
Okay, I've been busy.
Hopefully a picture of my jeep is attached??
Anyway after reading everyone's posts, and thank you for your responses, this morning I set out to purchase a steel Smittybilt bumper from 4Wheel Parts and use the D-rings to attach my Blue Ox tow bar. Safe, simple, not the most cost effective but error on the safe side.
Issue, after talking to Les with BO he said all they had available would be for a 7/8" diameter pin. They were backordered on the 1" size
Well all the aftermarket bumpers seem to have a 1" for the pin.
Okay, we what about purchasing the BO bracket that my current towbar will work with and I'll bolt it onto the steel bumper (the one I have yet to order). Nope those are also on backorder.
Seems like one of those days
Grandad5,
Well, if you would like a 1" pin, then, all you need to do is, cruise on over to a Tractor Supply, that's near you. You see, they have all kinds of stuff like that. Most of the time, the pins that come with the BO adapters are real short and are d... near impossible to grab ahold of, to remove them, to disconnect your Jeep from the tow bar. But, the ones that I use, from Tractor Supply, are a *D-handle* type pin. You can wrap your whole hand around the handle and yank it out. Something to look at.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	298516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	298517  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
That is really a pretty Jeep. The wife came over and admired the picture just now.

Rather than rush the Jeep and increase your risk, wouldnt it be better to rent an auto trailer and tow the Jeep 4 up until you have the time and bandwidth to configure the Jeep properly?
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep, toad