Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #1

Help wiring trailer brake controller - I'm stumped!

I just bought a 2003 Monaco Camelot 38pst, I'm trying to install a trailer brake controller as I'll be towing enclosed car hauler, but am stumped! The coach has mountain master tow brake installed, box installed on steering column cover, with main control box in the generator room.

This is the box in the generator room

My coach is NOT pre-wired for trailer brake, I've looked for the plugs and found nothing - here's where I'm stumped. The coach has both 4 lug and 7 plug installed on the rear of coach, with what looks to be a converted off of a tail light (red box on left side of photo)

I would like to do away w/the 4 prong, just used 7 prong plug. Where I'm stumped is, the box for the trailer brake currently installed has NO inputs from the coach, but somehow creates outputs and is totally wired the 7 prong plug. I don't understand how it has zero wires coming in from coach (besides power and ground) and is providing signals to the 7 prong plug.

I don't have any intentions on flat towing a car, I'm just baffled as to the best way to hoot up this brake controller.... I haven't taken a volt meter to the 7 prong yet, but previous owner flat towed and had no issues with the setup, so I'm assuming it gives off good signals to tow vehicle.

Any ideas?
randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

after doing some more research, I'm scrapping the entire tow brake module & that brake light converter which basically turns the RV connections for brake/left/right signals into 2 wires from 4 - horrible wiring job from previous owner.

Where can the brake light switch be found on these units? The master cylinder/air module in the generator house has two modules w/RED,BLUE,BLACK wires coming off, going into monaco 2 wire plug - any ideas?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #3

randomhero-

Here's an iRV2 thread where someone was looking for a Camelot wiring diagram. You might want to sent a private message to some of the posters on that thread (e.g., "Dutch Star Don").

Based on your pictures, I'd make the same decision to remove the old system and wiring and replace them with something newer.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #4

Thanks - after 4 hours of searching on here today I found the brake signal wire, and think I've got everything I need to hook up my controller tomorrow. I'll keep you posted, and take some photos

Tags
brake, wiring