Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Post Help with Jeep towing

Hello All,

I bought a 2012 Wranger 4 x 4 with Auto Transmission as a Toad for my 2006
Monaco Diplomat 40 DST.

There seems to be many opinions about how to set the jeep up for towing and I need advice as I am Not sure what else I need to drop a bag of money on.. I have only towed water craft with my Gas Aerbus previously.

Can I get someone to please help me with some recommendations for Towing gear needed for my rig and Jeep? (Can I do it myself )
Also any Recommended preparation of the transmission & Gear box for the Jeep before towing and weather I need some electric braking thingee?

Side Note after my tune up - fix clear coat on top edges- replace shocks project..
I changed my shocks to Bilstiens, The rig seems more stable although It does porpoise over dips. Someone mentioned front end height or air bag pressure.
Are the air bags individually adjustable? Seems to me it would not be..
Seems to run better all in all.

Thanks for any input provided.
Redsoxfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I pull a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I use a Blue Ox tow bar that I purchased and installed myself. The bracket that fits onto the jeep was 1 piece. Not a difficult job, just had to take the front grill & lights off to work. I had to drill holes through the frame.

I also installed the light set that uses the Jeeps brakes for braking & put separate light bulbs in for turn signals.

I also use a Road Master pneumatic brake that hooks to the coaches air brakes. Again, not a hard install, just took time. A monitoring light comes with this that shows that the brake is engaged, the power for this comes from the Jeeps Brake light circuit so a separate wire has to be run from the Jeep to the coach and then into the dash.

The Grand Cherokee has the transfer case neutral, alls I have to do is push a small button on the console while following the correct procedure. Worked great prior to the recall, now it works about 1/3 of the time. If I have trouble I pull the fuse that controls the ECM for this and it goes back to default. Aggravating but it does work.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan1 View Post
Hello All,

Also any Recommended preparation of the transmission & Gear box for the Jeep before towing ?
Look at page 485 of your users manual and read to page 489. Or download it from here.

Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #4

We tow a 2010 Wrangler 4x4 with auto trans. We use a Readybrute Elite tow bar system with a blue ox baseplate. Readybrute has a " built-in " surge brake type system ( simple cable connection to Jeep brake pedal ) which eliminates the need for an additional electric, vacuum, or air powered system. Also has a " breakaway " emergency brake setup. If you are mechanically inclined, you can install the system yourself. Also installed a wiring harness which connects Motorhome lights to Jeep so you have brake, signal, and taillights. To tow, shift transfer case into neutral, and trans. into park.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #5

Happy with this setup... I use:

Readybrute elite towbar with surge brakes.
Currie enterprise baseplate.
Readybrake, breakaway cable.
Mopar electrical cable for towing lights.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #6

I used a blue ox bar with a Air Force one
I changed the bumper to a aftermarket steels by warn and just bolted the blue ox adapters to bumper
It worked perfect nothing special to do to jeep
Had this same set up on the wrangler and ZJ and now on my f150
Good choice
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408928997.250486.jpg
Views:	3026
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	71880
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408929123.043871.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  73.6 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408929219.145805.jpg
Views:	1462
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	71882

05 MADP 4301
2014 Ford FX4 Crew
Blue Ox tow bar
Air Force One
Billy & Jeannie & Clyde The Poodle
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

I started off using the ReadyBrute Elite towbar/braking system and a Blue Ox Base Plate on my Jeep Wrangler. This system has worked well with zero problems. Seems all the companies that make Base Plates have acceptable products. I chose Blue Ox after looking online at installation instructions and it seemed to me that the Blue Ox was the easiest to install.

Also installed a CoolTech wiring harness which worked okay but later learned it has a potential electrical feedback problem. This harness as stated to me by the owner of CoolTech, has conflicts between the Jeep turn signals and brake lights. Due to the potential problems with the CoolTech I uninstalled it and installed a Mopar harness that is made special for Jeep. No further worry of potential electrical feedback to my coach and the other known issue.

I am not a mechanic but was able to install all of the above items in one day. None of the work is technical just labor intensive.

Since I started with above system I've changed coaches and now have air brakes. I will be installing an M&G braking system soon only because I want the ability to have proportional braking. With the Elite braking system you have no way of knowing how much braking is being applied to your toad. I will continue to use the ReadyBrute towbar.

As to your question of how to setup the Wrangler for towing. Look in your owners manual and it will have step by step instructions for putting transfer case in neutral and leaving auto trans in park. There is a sequence of events to this procedure. I'm not sure if a 2012 Wrangler still has a locking steering wheel. If so you will need to unlock the steering wheel and leave key in ignition. On the 2013-14, they do not have locking steering wheels so no need.

Hope all this helps some and good luck.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #8

I tow a 2013 and did all the prep work myself. Roadmaster tow bar and base plates. Wiring from plug on rv to lights mounted in taillights. Did it all in a campground last winter. Not hard to mount base plates or light bulbs in taillights. Just takes some time.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:27 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I would appreciate some pictures of typical installs for the base plate, tow bar and brakes.

I plan to do this myself, I'm Not afraid of electrical or mechanical work.

Thanks for all the great feedback!
Redsoxfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have been towing my Jeep for 5 years with no problems using the following:

Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and baseplate.
US Gear UTB braking system.
Cool Tech wiring harness
Old 08-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I'm 67 and it took me a day to install the tow bracket (blue ox) on my 2012 wrangler. It took another day to run wiring thru the frame for the lights and right now I am using magnetic lights that I take out of storage area under the back mat when it is tow time. I had a motor cycle jack that made it easy to lift and position both the OEM bumper (had to come off first and then back on) and tow bracket. I use the blue ox tow bars ( 10K) and really like them. By the way, I have found with my wrangler (automatic) that putting transfer case in N and transmission in P while the engine is not running is a good way to do it. After setting my portable brake system up on the driver floor I roll a rear wheel back a little just to check that everything rolls free and I'm good to go. You will form your own routine - you will like flat towing that wrangler.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #12

I too have a 2012 Wrangler and set mine up a little differently than most. I first purchased a steel off-road aftermarket front bumper. I then purchased a Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar, the bar stays with the toad and hooks to a regular 2" ball in the coach receiver where most tow bars stay on the coach. I then bolted the Stowmaster directly through the steel bumper into the Jeeps frame. I then added a Cool Tech wiring harness for brake/tail lights, I recommend the Mopar harness! My next purchase was a Brake Buddy classic braking system. All items were purchased on EBay for less than $600 with the exception of the Cool Tech which I purchased direct but everything came in under $600. I installed everything in a couple of afternoons without any problems.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #13

I went with a heavy duty aftermarket bumper. It has the option of using Blue Ox or Roadmaster brackets that just bolt to the bumper. Used Cooltech wiring harness.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 1995 Jamboree, I want to know if I can tow a Jeep Rubicon with all 4 down if it has an Automatic Trans. I have seen people towing Jeeps and Carson Cargo trailers (Like the trailer we have) with the same year RV as ours and type 26Q Fleetwood or the 26Q Tioga. I have heard conflicting reports. and can't get into the Owners Manual on the internet to be able to read it.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing