Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #1

HHR taillight diode wiring path

For those of you with the HHR and using tail light diode. How was the wire routed from front to rear (and to both lights). BTW, my HHR has the running board (if that makes any diff). Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #2

I ran our light wires along the passenger side near the running board. Took some stuffing, pulling and using some wire ties to keep things in place, but it worked pretty easily. By the way, instead of using the diode approach, we added some LED lights below the bumper on our HHR so we did not have to touch the factory wiring. See HHR Lights for pictures.

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #3

I assume you kept all your wire outside of the HHR since you wired it to an external light.

For those USING diodes in their HHR, what is the wiring path?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I used the Blue Ox wiring kit and ran it inside the car to the taillights. Tie the wires to the baseplate to the drivers side of the car. Follow the wiring behind the battery and enter the car where the wiring bundle enters behind the battery. Remove the drivers kick panel and the door sills, they just snap off. Run the wires along the sills of the front and rear doors. At the rear seat exit and go under the seat and then you can lift the rear panel away to get the wires back to the taillight area. There is lots of room to work in the spare tire area. Remove the panels to access the taillight wires on the left and right side. After putting the panels back in place, the only place you can see the wire is under the rear seat when you are folding it down. The way the HHR is wired is the turn lights are also the brake lights and the taillights have a seperate run to the right and left. So splice the left turn light wire with the diode, run all the wires to the right side. Splice the right turn light wire, cut the taillight wire on the right side. Splice the wire from the taillight to the wire that was used for the left turn light. Cap off the wire that you cut from the taillight. So now the right taillight wire is running back over to the left side. Cut the left taillight wire, splice the diode and both the wire from the right side and the taillight wire together. If you need, this weekend I can take some pictures and post them.

Wayne
2006 Monaco Knight 40 PDQ
2008 Chevy HHR
Wayne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #5

Wayne06,
I don't think photo is needed. thanks for the offer. Couple of clarification questions
1. the wire ran down the length of the car on the driver side or pass side?
2. then crossed over to the other side at the rear seat area? or split off at the rear seat area.
3. kinda got lost on the diode splicing descrip. did you use all 4 diodes? or used 2 for each of the turn/stop and only used 1 diode to power both tail lights (means that you needed to cap off the oem tail light wire on one side).

thanks for your info...
Old 10-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I ran from the front of the car to the rear on the drivers side. I did not go to the right side until I was at the left taillight area, that way I had the wire that was cut for the left turn light to use for the taillight wire from the right side.
I used one diode for the left turn light, one diode for the right turn light, and one diode for the taillights. The diode for the taillights in on the left side of the car. I will go by the motorhome Sat. and get the drawing I made so I can confirm what I am telling you and can give you the colors of the wires used at each diode. I refer to the drivers side of the car as the left side.

Wayne
2006 Monaco Knight 40PDQ
2008 Chevy HHR
Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I used the Blue Ox BX8847 wiring kit. The white wire is ground. Yellow put to input of diode for left brake/turn, the other input is the wire you cut from the light, the output is to the light. The green wire is the right brake/turn. The brown wire is the taillight. Cut the taillight wire on the right side and cap off the end to the HHR wiring. Use the yellow wire and splice it to the taillight wire you cut on the right side. On the left side run the HHR taillight wire and the brown wire to the input of the diode, the output will be the wire from the left taillight and the yellow wire from the right taillight. The yellow wire is spare because you cut it at the left brake light.

Wayne
2006 Monaco Knight 40PDQ
2008 Chevy HHR