Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2022, 12:51 PM   #1

Hitch Bike Rack For Ebike

Hopefully I put this in the right category this time.....

I recently purchased a lectric xp 2.0 step thru ebike.
Found out today it will not fit in any of my storage compartments.
It folds up, but not enough to fit.
I have no choice but to get a hitch rack for it.

Any suggestions on what to get?
Has to be able to hold 3" wide tires.
It weighs roughly 70lbs.
I am sure this is a common thing, especially for full timers that cannot tow a tiny car with them, or are using a travel trailer.
I have a 35' class A.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ebike.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	367068
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2022, 02:28 PM   #2

This mfg seems to be popular with the heavier bikes https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:58 PM   #3

We carry 2 Lectric E-bikes similar to the one in your post using a Roadmaster dual receiver hitch and an Thule Easyfold Xt bike carrier in the top hitch position. We have a 7" Roadmaster straight hitch extension in the bottom hitch position with our Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar. The 7" extension is needed to allow the tow bar to move into it's locked position when the tow bar is being stored without having to remove the bike rack. We have the Roadmaster quiet hitch shackles on each join in the hitch assembly. The quiet hitch shackles eliminates all up and down and side to side movement in the hitch assembly thereby reducing stress to the various welded joins and the Blue-Ox hidden receiver hitch.

There are many good manufacturer's other than Thule and Roadmaster but, having used their products for years, I can personally vouch for their quality, whereas, others that use different vendor products can hopefully provide multiple valid options for your consideration.

The Thule bike rack has locking mechanisms for the bikes and to reduce weight we remove both of the Lectric E-bikes batteries and all heavy items in our cargo bags. The final item you may want to consider is a good rain proof bike carrier cover that has built in straps to prevent the cover from flying off from the wind.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
This mfg seems to be popular with the heavier bikes https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/
I can vouch for the quality of the 1up products. I’ve got their hitch racks and roof carriers. Full metal construction except for the wheel contact points.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:22 PM   #5

Those 1up look great. I was just hoping to come in under $300.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:57 PM   #6

I have two Lectric XP 2.0's. One step thru, one high step. Both have lots of add ons (mirrors, front and rear baskets, etc.).

The Vibrelli is $379 but so solid. Easy to use, great instructions, and about $100 cheaper than the next comparable brand. Anti-rattle, and it locks in multiple places.

For your step thru you'll need a crossbar like the Swagman I've attached, though I'm sure others will work. It goes on quick and easy. $32

For the bike cover, if you have two bikes, get the cover for three. Trust me. The Obsidian is highly rated and I found it truly to be waterproof and durable. Make sure you get the transportation rated one and not the stationary version. About $79.

I'm very pleased with my setup.Attachment 367097Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220531-204742_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	367099Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220531-204839_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	367098
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:37 AM   #7

I use a Swagman XTC4 platform bike rack. I’ve used it to haul 4 standard bikes, one of which was a heavy fat tire bike. Just recently I got my wife an E bike which weighs 55lbs with the battery. And with the kids not going anymore, we only haul 2 bikes. I put the heavier Ebike up front and my aluminum bike in the 3rd position. I keep the battery out of the Ebike. Haven’t had any problems. No sagging bending of the arms and it’s still very stable. The rack is rated at 35lbs per bike. But that is due to the arms needing to support 2 bikes, which is why I separated the bikes so each is on its own set of arms. Works great.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
I have two Lectric XP 2.0's. One step thru, one high step. Both have lots of add ons (mirrors, front and rear baskets, etc.).

The Vibrelli is $379 but so solid. Easy to use, great instructions, and about $100 cheaper than the next comparable brand. Anti-rattle, and it locks in multiple places.

For your step thru you'll need a crossbar like the Swagman I've attached, though I'm sure others will work. It goes on quick and easy. $32

For the bike cover, if you have two bikes, get the cover for three. Trust me. The Obsidian is highly rated and I found it truly to be waterproof and durable. Make sure you get the transportation rated one and not the stationary version. About $79.

I'm very pleased with my setup.Attachment 367097Attachment 367099Attachment 367098
That’s the same cover I got for our bikes. Works great. And has held up to highway travel.
I have a Thule cross bar, but basically the same.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:50 AM   #9
Community Moderator

When I researched electric bike racks under $500 for use on the back of a fifth wheel trailer, motorhome, trailer, flat towed vehicle, car and truck I found etrailer a good source to verify the bike rack could be used for all these applications and came up with Swagman E-Spec #66689, which holds two 70 lb bikes https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...man/S94FR.html
Old 06-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetloaf View Post
Those 1up look great. I was just hoping to come in under $300.

Are you sure you want to trust your $3000 + ebikes to a cheap rack ? Never seen one priced below $400 with a weight rating to match ebikes.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetloaf View Post
I recently purchased a lectric xp 2.0 step thru ebike.
Streetloaf, how tall are you?

The wife and I are looking at the same Lectric XP 2.0 Step-Thru bike. I'm 6'2" and concerned the step-thru might not be tall enough for me to pedal; wife is 5'8" so no issue with the step-through. I'm trying to decide if I should avoid the step-thru 2.0 and instead get the non-step-thru 2.0.

Thoughts (from your experience) for someone that is 6'2" on the step-thru?
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #12

We got this one. At the time we got it, many others were not available. We have 2 Rad Mini that weight about 70 pounds each.

We also have a cover. We've found if we fold down the handlebars and strap the cover tightly, the taillights on our car are still clearly visible.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperax-Appro...73880820&psc=1
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:14 PM   #13

I added some bullet style motorcycle stop/turn and running lights for my bike rack. With the cover on the bikes you can’t see the cars lights.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #14

Anyone try one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/MARVOWARE-Ele...26&sr=1-1&th=1

Tags
bike rack, hitch