Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hitch weight of towed vehicle

Have searched for an answer to this question on the internet but every site discussed only towing a trailer.

My question is: We tow a 2006 Toyota Corolla (approx. GVWR of 2700 lbs.), four-on-the-ground, with our 2011 Ventana 3434. I'm trying to determine the hitch weight for the car. How do I calculate this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post
Have searched for an answer to this question on the internet but every site discussed only towing a trailer.

My question is: We tow a 2006 Toyota Corolla (approx. GVWR of 2700 lbs.), four-on-the-ground, with our 2011 Ventana 3434. I'm trying to determine the hitch weight for the car. How do I calculate this?
I'm pretty sure you can forget about it. It's so small it's a moot point, not going to affect anything.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"Hitch weight" applies to boat or other trailers where the hitch is weighing (pushing) down on the rear of the towing vehicle (typically a car or a truck). But when you tow a "four down" car behind your rig, hitch-weight is essentially irrelevant....because there is essentially no "pushing down" force at the hitch point during normal driving conditions.

Now: Of great concern is that the hitch mechanism is level (parallel to the ground). Reason: when performing a hard/emergency braking condition, a non-level hitch will present an undesirable force on your towing vehicle. Hope this helps.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If you're towing 4 down, the hitch weight is the weight of the tow bar. Not much as the previous poster noted.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thank, that's what I was thinking but just wanted to confirm it with the experts here.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #6

My question is, is your Toyota Corolla a 5 spd. or automatic transmission? If it's an automatic, has it been modified for towing four down?
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
My question is, is your Toyota Corolla a 5 spd. or automatic transmission? If it's an automatic, has it been modified for towing four down?
Our Toyota is the Corolla Sport model. It's the only one that came with the 5-speed manual transmission. No special modification but hubby starts it and lets it run for a few minutes whenever we stop. We've towed it probably 35,000 so far with no problems.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #8

Just wondering - how do you like the 3434 floor plan and the ventana? My wife and I are waiting for a dealer within driving distance to get one to view.
john lipecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lipecki View Post
Just wondering - how do you like the 3434 floor plan and the ventana? My wife and I are waiting for a dealer within driving distance to get one to view.
Overall we like it very much. We bought it at the RV show in Tampa so it came loaded. Lots of new things to get used to. The downside I see is the bathroom is small (be sure to step into the shower to see how it fits) and no towel rods in the bath (nowhere to put them). Not as much storage space inside as we were used to but we'll manage. We needed to weed out some things anyway.

We had company this weekend camping and used the sofa bed for the first time. When the bed is folded out, it reaches from the table to the wall. Have to crawl over it getting from front to back of the coach. We had to schedule sleep times to avoid crawling.

We do love the tile floor and the basic floor plan of this model. The buffet table that pulls out and slides in out of the way is great for opening up the room.

When the slides are in, there is still a small aisle for getting from the front to the bathroom for those lunchtime breaks on the road.

I think I would upgrade the A/C units to 15M BTUs if I were doing it again. The standard one is not quite enough for us. Our old coach had 15s and we often used only one and were plenty cool.

Ours came with the hydronic heat for furnace and hot water. Looking at the new 2012 specs, it appears they might have changed that back to a propane furnace.

We chose this length coach to replace one of the same length. It's a good size for the two of us and fits most campgrounds easily.

Let me know what you think after you look one over.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #10

Just curious.....we're also looking at the Ventana 34 footer. What were you able to get the dealer off of the sticker price? Also, would you do the hydronic heating again or stick with propane? It's a $7k markup on the 2012s. Thanks!
Snoopkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post

If you really want to know then go to the scales with the toad hooked up and weigh it all. Use the Cat scales if possible, then weigh just the MH on the same day.
You can also go to a scale that will only weigh one axel at a time. Weigh the rear axel with and without the toad connected then you can get the actual Hitch weight.

Maybe 30-50lbs if you are luckly.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofakleez View Post
Just curious.....we're also looking at the Ventana 34 footer. What were you able to get the dealer off of the sticker price? Also, would you do the hydronic heating again or stick with propane? It's a $7k markup on the 2012s. Thanks!
We bought this unit at a show so it came loaded with, I believe, every option available. We also traded in a coach so I'm not sure exactly how we would calculate the discount. What was important to hubby was the price after trade. He had a figure in his head that he wanted to pay and was happy when he got there.

I'm still getting used to the hydronic heating thingie. We got the unit in January and had several cold nights where we needed heat. In the evening, I would go out, open the bay and turn the lever to 'winter' position. Next morning, go out, open the bay and return the lever to 'summer' position. Why go to all that trouble? It seems to use more propane if the lever is left in the 'winter' position. The antifreeze is routed throughout the coach through the heat system. I could be wrong on that but no one has been able to explain to me exactly how the hydronic heat works except to say 'move the lever from summer to winter . . . '. I need a Hydronic Heat for Dummies book.

As for the hot water supply, we love it! Instant hot water for showers and it stays hot as long as I want to stand there and enjoy it. I can't tell you exactly how long a tank of propane will last because we had five leaks with our new unit and went through a tank in a month using it only for hot water and two nights of heat. I tried using the electric side to heat water but the fuse blew. The shop reset it but it's blown again. Taking it back this winter to get that fixed. It takes longer to heat the water with the electric and it doesn't last as long but we use it when we can.

The fans on the blowers run quiet and the heat distribution is very even, just like at home. Would we get hydronic heat again? Probably. It's just so convenient and I love my hot showers!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #13

Thanks for the info! BTW, what kind of mileage are you getting in your new rig?
Snoopkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two weights.. The "Towing" weight is the curb weight of the car plus about 50-100 pounds for the braking system and tow bar (Simply put it on a scale with the tow bar in the trunk)

the hitch weight is 1/2 the weight of the tow bar, about 25 pounds I'd guess.

Tags
weight