Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 AM   #99

Thor Owners Club
We just traded for a 2014 CRV, thanks for all the helpful info here, it made it an easy decision! See ya on the road.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #100

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been towing an '05 Odyssey EX-L both on a dolly and four down. We got the Ody to carry our inventory to the cat/dog shows. Quit doing that some years ago so no longer need the space. Just bought Lloydu's 2014 CR-V EX-L today since they no longer need it. They still have it though since they needed transportation today. Sure hope I like it since it has a smaller engine and fewer amenities!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #101
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Just turn off the econo button and you will have performance and good air conditioning.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:52 AM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Just turn off the econo button and you will have performance and good air conditioning.
Never had a problem with the a/c, but the econo button changes performance significantly.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:02 AM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
We just traded for a 2014 CRV, thanks for all the helpful info here, it made it an easy decision! See ya on the road.
There have been several posts about battery failure after a day of towing. I have the fuse bypass so I have not had this happen. But I do have one thought that would cause this to happen; put the ignition into ACC. It is possible to tow with the driving lights on if the key is in the wrong position. That will kill the battery.

Turn off your phone blue tooth is your spouse is driving the car and you are driving the coach. This happened to me. I got a call and the car grabbed it. What a moment of confusion that was!

I hope you enjoy your CR-V as much as we do.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 11-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #104

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Finally got to drive my CR-V last night. Bought it Monday but Lloyd needed it for transportation on Tuesday. Wish it had the V-6 that the Ody has but it's not bad. Less room and about 1,000#'s lighter. Now to check the lighting, charge line and hitch height to see if they're compatible with how my mh is configured. Has the same braking system too (RoadMaster Brakemaster 9160)
Old 11-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #105

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Finally got to drive my CR-V last night. Bought it Monday but Lloyd needed it for transportation on Tuesday. Wish it had the V-6 that the Ody has but it's not bad. Less room and about 1,000#'s lighter. Now to check the lighting, charge line and hitch height to see if they're compatible with how my mh is configured. Has the same braking system too (RoadMaster Brakemaster 9160)
Our 14 CR-V had 5 miles on when we bought it. I have found a few things that are less than ideal.

1. The battery. (Added the RoadMaster fuse master to disconnect GPS, radio, etc on the fuse incorrectly cited in the Honda manual. Roadmaster website has correct fuse # which I have forgotten lol.)

2. Came with Continental tires. (Too soft for my liking.)

3. Seats - too hard for us. Uncomfortable after about an hour and a half

4. Tailgate is manual only.

5. Passenger seat manual only.

None of these where deal breakers at the time and still aren't. Just little things.

We love the car and it's a great toad. Roomy enough for 4 - with rear seat up there is plenty of storage space. With seat down its a good sized cave!

I think it'll grow on you and you'll love it.

Also - the economy mode is great on the highway. I pretty much leave it on all the time and don't have a problem with the power.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #106

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Actually I turned the econo mode on and find that, for the way I drive, I really don't notice the difference but I am getting about 1½ mpg better in town than Lloyd did.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #107
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought a 2013 CRV for a trip this summer. I found it had a lot of road noise. I insulated the trunk (around the spare) which helped a little. I spent a lot of time looking for a really quiet tire and settled on Hankooks. They substantially quieted down the ride. I also added the Odyssey battery box and larger battery. It worked great on our trip. I've never had a car whose A/C got that cold, that fast.

I played with the Econ mode and during normal driving, really didn't notice a big difference, but under hard acceleration, it was much quicker with Econ turned off. We're done with it and it's up for sale.....bought a new GMC Canyon as a toad. Someone is suppose to buy it tomorrow.

The CRV was pretty much the perfect toad. It was lightweight, got good mileage and would comfortably seat four adults, but I've always owned a truck and I don't need two toads. It was a little hard on the butt after a few hours.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #108

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I bought a 2013 CRV for a trip this summer. I found it had a lot of road noise. I insulated the trunk (around the spare) which helped a little. I spent a lot of time looking for a really quiet tire and settled on Hankooks. They substantially quieted down the ride. I also added the Odyssey battery box and larger battery. It worked great on our trip. I've never had a car whose A/C got that cold, that fast.

I played with the Econ mode and during normal driving, really didn't notice a big difference, but under hard acceleration, it was much quicker with Econ turned off. We're done with it and it's up for sale.....bought a new GMC Canyon as a toad. Someone is suppose to buy it tomorrow.

The CRV was pretty much the perfect toad. It was lightweight, got good mileage and would comfortably seat four adults, but I've always owned a truck and I don't need two toads. It was a little hard on the butt after a few hours.
My mother had a 1963 Buick Electra, it would throw small chunks of ice out the passenger side vents!
I agree with you on the tires, but they're on it and will last me for a couple years or so then I'll put the Michelin Defender tires on. I have them on the '05 Ody and the '08 Civic and they wear like iron, have a good ride and seem to be decently quiet.
My new to me CR-V has the charge line installed, I did have to change a jumper on the "tow cable fuse panel" box in the Magna since the lights were overriding the turn signals.
Quote:
If your car has a combined brake and turn signal (typical American-made vehicle), the jumpers should be set to the B side. If your vehicle has separate brake and turn signal wires (typical foreign-made vehicle) set the jumper to the A side.

If you are not sure about your car’s wiring, try jumping both sides alternately until the brake and turn signal lights work correctly. Setting the wrong jumper does not harm the wiring or the panel.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #109

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My mother had a 1963 Buick Electra, it would throw small chunks of ice out the passenger side vents!
My new to me CR-V has the charge line installed, I did have to change the a jumper on the light control box in the Magna since the lights were overriding the turn signals.
Well there ya go.
Wishing you well Mr. D.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I see that a bigger battery is being recommended to solve the discharge while towing problem. I added the fuse disconnect switch to my CR-V and I have never had a dead battery at the end of a long day of towing.

Rick Y
I have likewise had no problem with my 2009 CRV. Made my own disconnect switch, and have towed about 50,000 miles. Great car except for road noise.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #111

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1142 View Post
I have likewise had no problem with my 2009 CRV. Made my own disconnect switch, and have towed about 50,000 miles. Great car except for road noise.
We've had only one car since 1988 ('97 Jeep Grand Cherokee) that wasn't a Honda, all the Honda's have had lots of road noise. The '05 Ody even has "noise canceling" equipment. It comes on when the Ody runs on 3 cyl for low power needs. That mode works up to at least 70mph on level roads.

Tags
honda