Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

honda cr-v as a toad (cost)

Hello everyone,

I've bought recently a used MH which comes with a tow bar (Road-master Falcon) and now I would like to prepare my Honda cr-v to be my toad. I have order the right mount bracket ($350) and now trying to find out how much it will cost to install the mount bracket. In one shop they want $350 for labor for mount bracket and $500 for electric wiring.
Does it sound right to you?
Thanks
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Community Administrator

If the $500 is for both , yes.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

$500 for just the wiring is waaay too much.
Old drag racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #4

Sounds a bit high but depends on much effort they spend to hide the wires going back to the rear. Curious--what year is your CR-V? Understand the newer CR-Vs with the constant velocity tranny are no longer towable>>>>>>>
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a CR-V set up for towing 3 years ago. I was charged 6 hours labor for baseplate and wiring harness installation. At today's service center rates of around $110 to $120 per hour, I'd pay around $700. So, the OP's $850 is high but not outrageous in my opinion.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Sounds a bit high but depends on much effort they spend to hide the wires going back to the rear. Curious--what year is your CR-V? Understand the newer CR-Vs with the constant velocity tranny are no longer towable>>>>>>>
it's 2008 (sorry, I didn't specify that)
Old 09-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I paid $500 to a local truck accessories shop to install my baseplate, ReadyBrake cables, breakaway cables, and wiring!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #8

I installed the bracket on our 2013 CR-V and there was quite a bit of disassembly involved so $350 for that portion seems reasonable. Hopkins makes a custom toad wiring harness for the CR-V. It's $80 and is basically plug n play. No cutting, splicing, etc needed. Easy 1 hour install.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...id=20081351047
Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
I installed the bracket on our 2013 CR-V and there was quite a bit of disassembly involved so $350 for that portion seems reasonable. Hopkins makes a custom toad wiring harness for the CR-V. It's $80 and is basically plug n play. No cutting, splicing, etc needed. Easy 1 hour install.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...id=20081351047
Thank you. I didn't know about the Hopkins wiring. Good to know!

All the best,
Kuba
Old 09-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #10

I have the Honda in service now. I just came back from 1-month contract in China, and have only 6 days to prepare the MH (we got in July) and the Honda (which my DW bought a few weeks ago, so we have a toad). Barely managed to replace the tires in the couch (6xFirestone, $3400 with tax & labor at the local truck shop), cause every place is booked. I also barely managed to schedule an appointment with the car service to mount the mount bracket. If i had more time, I would search for a cheaper shop, but I am hitting the road Friday Sep 9, my first concert will be in Mt.Vernon OH Sep 10th. Btw, if you are in the area, You are invited!! I will get you free tickets!
Thank you guys for all responds. I will post the whole cost after the installation.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #11

Shop around. Truck shops might be a good start or a good locally operated garage.

Still using my 2002 CRV with Roadmaster towing equipment. Thought of trading for something new, but the cost of new brackets and wiring turned me off. This SUV still runs good with 97K on the clock and over 50K towing.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #12

Towing Honda, battery problem

So I started my concert tour about 10 days ago. I'm still learning about operating my MH (they are so many things to learn and I love it). Back to the Honda. The shop in Nashville had charged me about $1100 for installation of the mount bracket, road master receiver, wiring, labor and tax. I also find a little bit high, but I had no choice. They took the Honda for a whole Thursday and the next morning I was driving 8 hours to play my first concert in Mount Vernon, OH (it went great btw ) ).
Here is another problem I ran into: my Honda's battery dies every time I tow it. I use a roadmaster "Even brake system". Yesterday I bought a new battery in Walmart and after driving 4 hours without the EvenBrake!, the new battery was almost dead (couldn't start the engine). I really don't know what's going on :/
I have a 6 pin connection cord which is connected to the MH. I disconnect the battery in the Honda and all lights still work powered by the MH.
Should I unplug the cord for every stop?? Is the Honda battery being overcharged by any chance??
I start the Honda every day (unfortunately force to use jump cables) and perform the pre-towing procedure before towing every time.
Thank you for your help!
Kuba
Old 09-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check your Honda owners manual. On my 2013 CRV, I am supposed to pull a fuse. I have installed a switch to bypass that fuse instead. A lot of owners have installed a "charge line" in their wiring. Your Motorhome will not charge your Honda battery without this.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #14
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Run a charge line from the coach and change out the battery to a #24 - use a plastic battery holder from an Oddsy ($10) and all will be well.

Tags
honda, toad