Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 AM   #1

Honda CR-V vs Chevy Sonic as toad

For weeks, I've been waffling back and forth on which toad to buy to pull behind my 2015 Winn View. I sold my wife's Prius when I found out it wouldn't tow 4-down and I bought a 2013 Chevy Sonic. The Sonic, though ideal for the job will also now have to double as a commuting car for my wife but after owning it for just 24 hours, we discovered driving the Sonic is about as exciting as watching paint dry...she absolutely hates it.

I've been reading a lot about the Honda CR-V (EXL) It weighs 700 lbs more than the Sonic (3400 vs 2700). and it appears to be as comfortably equipped as my wife's Prius was. But I'm a bit concerned about how it would handle behind my 11,300 pound Winnebago View.

I need someone to weigh in with pros/cons of the CR-V. If much of what I hear is positive, I will return the Sonic to Carmax tomorrow (I am within my 5 day return window) and I will buy a CR-V instead. Thanks all.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #2

I'm assuming you are talking about a 2014 or earlier CRV - the 2015 is not towable 4 down😡.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I'm assuming you are talking about a 2014 or earlier CRV - the 2015 is not towable 4 down😡.
Yes, I should have clarified that...2013 Honda CR-V EXL
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
For weeks, I've been waffling back and forth on which toad to buy to pull behind my 2015 Winn View. I sold my wife's Prius when I found out it wouldn't tow 4-down and I bought a 2013 Chevy Sonic. The Sonic, though ideal for the job will also now have to double as a commuting car for my wife but after owning it for just 24 hours, we discovered driving the Sonic is about as exciting as watching paint dry...she absolutely hates it.

I've been reading a lot about the Honda CR-V (EXL) It weighs 700 lbs more than the Sonic (3400 vs 2700). and it appears to be as comfortably equipped as my wife's Prius was. But I'm a bit concerned about how it would handle behind my 11,300 pound Winnebago View.

I need someone to weigh in with pros/cons of the CR-V. If much of what I hear is positive, I will return the Sonic to Carmax tomorrow (I am within my 5 day return window) and I will buy a CR-V instead. Thanks all.
Well, I'm going to quote and respond to my own posted inquiry. Since I've had much time to think about it, I think I can provide my own answer.
Over the last few hours, I've done a bunch of research on this subject and I am slowly coming to my senses on this. My MAJOR concern is the weight factor so I think I am about to answer my own question here: My GVWR is 11,030 lbs. the CR-V is 3500 lbs... my wife and I and the two dogs total 420 lbs. that is 14,950. Unfortunately, my GCVWR is 15,250 which leaves me with only 300 lbs and still have to add in fuel, propane, bicycles, clothes, food, BBQ (some water in tank) and the list goes on...looks like we are keeping the Sonic. It affords me an additional 800 pounds buffer for those above listed incidentals. Hmmmm, spelling it all out like this was very therapeutic.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been happy towing a Chevy Aveo (Sonic predecessor) with my 16,500 lb/Chevy 454 cid chassis. Don't even know it's there. It does cost me about 1/2 mpg.
Couldn't comment on your comparison request because I only have the one reference point. The Honda is a better quality car with more room, but for short runs the Aveo is fine for me and the DW.
P.S. I leave the back seat home in the garage - two bolts and the back seat is out providing lots of room and less weight. (My Aveo is the hatch back model)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't realize that the GVWR included the toad! I thought that was only the weight of the MH and cargo! The toad is rolling behind the MH and certainly wouldn't be putting the full weight of the toad on the MH! Am I wrong here?

BTW, we love our 2013 CRV EX-L AWD!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I didn't realize that the GVWR included the toad! I thought that was only the weight of the MH and cargo! The toad is rolling behind the MH and certainly wouldn't be putting the full weight of the toad on the MH! Am I wrong here?

Yeah guys...I wish you were wrong, but, it's not only about the downward weight, of course you have limits posted for your axel maximums too, but it's also about the total weight load to pull...coach gear, people and toads. You big 30-40+ footers can pull a brick and mortar house behind you if you desire. Though I have a 25 1/2 ft diesel, it's only a 4-banger 188 hp power source. The foot pounds and the fact it's diesel is the only thing that saves us...a little. My wife was shocked to hear the motor in the MH is pretty much the same size as her Chevy Sonic (size only of course)

As I've posted, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact 2700 lbs is as much as I want to play with. If I pushed for the CR-V, I will pretty much max out and I don't want us at a point where I have to split hairs in such a way we have to carry only 2 or 3 beers in the fridge vs a 6 pack...to keep the weight down...I'm joking of course, but I'm sure you get my point.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

It doesn't. The GCWR includes whatever you are towing, but the GVWR is the max for the MH alone.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just got the information below from the FMCA website. Looks like I was right, that GVWR does NOT include the weight of the toad!

GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating): the maximum permissible weight of the fully loaded motorhome, including liquids, passengers and cargo. The GVWR is equal to or greater than the sum of the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) plus the net carrying capacity (NCC).
GCWR (gross combination weight rating): the value specified by the motorhome manufacturer as the maximum allowable combined weight of the motorhome and the attached towed vehicle.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think I would worry about that as long as you have a good toad brake sys and the tow hitch is rated above the toad. A real simple to install and highly rated system is the RVI2 toad brake and it's hard to beat the Honda CRV .
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
I just got the information below from the FMCA website. Looks like I was right, that GVWR does NOT include the weight of the toad!

GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating): the maximum permissible weight of the fully loaded motorhome, including liquids, passengers and cargo. The GVWR is equal to or greater than the sum of the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) plus the net carrying capacity (NCC).
GCWR (gross combination weight rating): the value specified by the motorhome manufacturer as the maximum allowable combined weight of the motorhome and the attached towed vehicle.
sorry guys...I read thru your response to my post too quickly. We're all in agreement here...GCWR includes the weight of the toad and the GVWR is of course only the coach and cargo, but my post was about pushing the limits where GCWR is concerned...that is my issue and I thought that was what MS Happy Campers was referring to.

If I decided to pull a CR-V, I certainly would have no problem installing an effective toad braking system...I would never go out on the road with a toad without one. I already priced the Stay-In-Play vacuum assisted system. Pricey...yes, but my concern is safety, as I'm sure you can all tell by my past profession. I'm sure I could pull a CR-V behind my View, take my time in the right lane and use low trannie grs to assist slowing on 7 percent descents and so on, but, It would always be in the back of my mind, should something happen, be it my fault or not, I should have limited my toad weight and maybe there would have been a different outcome...besides, there are mandated state highway laws to contend with not to mention warranty related issues. With all that said, that is why I've decided to stick with the ugly, boring, wife irritating Chevy Sonic I've spent the better part of the day working on her over the phone (out of slapping reach) that she'll eventually learn to love the Sonic...I also explained to her, the $10K difference we would have to pay for the CRV of the same year as the Sonic will go towards more traveling...That may have taken me out of the dog house with that statement alone.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #12

Donut, I bought a 2013 Sonic also from Carmax with towing it behind my mh as a factor. I bought the hatchback with auto trans. I find it can be fun to drive, but don't expect it to be a road rocket. Using manual does help some, but just not the same as a stick. My wife had a CRV and I hated the thought of driving one. I was pleased when she decided to trade it. Good luck. Ps, the CRV is not an exciting drive either.....

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't really mean to muddy the waters anymore than they already are, but have you considered towing a Chevy Captiva? It weighs about the same as the CRV, similar in size and shape, is flat towable with automatic transmission, gets about the same mileage as the CRV, and has more pep when driving it, especially if you get one with the small V6 in it. We wanted a CRV until we test drove a Captiva.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The CRV is one of the most popular TOADs. Must be a good reason.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, honda, toad