Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Donut, I bought a 2013 Sonic also from Carmax with towing it behind my mh as a factor. I bought the hatchback with auto trans. I find it can be fun to drive, but don't expect it to be a road rocket. Using manual does help some, but just not the same as a stick. My wife had a CRV and I hated the thought of driving one. I was pleased when she decided to trade it. Good luck. Ps, the CRV is not an exciting drive either.....
Thanks Wildtoad...seriously, that does offer some comfort. As far as the road rocket...I have no problem with it performing as a slug. We just plan to use it to get around after an RV stop somewhere. She's not much into cars, she only knows she hates this. My problem came with us driving to Carmax in my brand new Porsche 911 C4S convertible on an 82 degree day this past Saturday here in San Diego. She went from a 400 hp 0-60 in 4.0 to a zero to nothing in forever. We're real new, like never done this before when it comes to RVing. We ordered this in October and got it in Dec last year. I had to go on Youtube to learn what a black tank was...that'll tell you how green we are to this lifestyle. We've only taken it out once to a beach not too far from home. We're trying to figure out where we're going to go and when and make it a place where we'll be happy we have a toad with us. We've joined all the clubs and got all the books...now it's a matter of getting out there and just jumping in. She'll change her tune when that happens. We bought this RV thing mainly for our dogs so we don't have to leave them to a sitter any longer and we can travel around this country and see what beauty there is here vs always going to Europe...which is too dangerous anymore.

This toad is gonna work for us. We won't look pretty going from camp to town, but, it'll take us to town.
Thanks for the info on the toad...I'll go tell her YOU said, all's good.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
There are a lot of places a 32 foot MH can comfortably park where a larger MH wouldn't even begin to fit. We also don't like be to stuck in camp. When we travel we want to see everything in the area and many of those place there is no place to park a MH. We are big on "Diners, Dives and Drive Ins from the Food Channel and enjoy visiting as many as we can in our travels. But that is just the way we roll, doesn't make it right for everyone.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:22 AM   #17

We had a View for several years which we loved. We never managed to fill up all the storage (even on a 7 month trip) but we maxed out the weight pretty darn fast. I think you'd find the weight of a Honda CR-V a serious drag , as well as pushing your GCWR to the limit. Can't speak specifically as we had bicycles and with the small size of the View and our bikes we pretty much got where we wanted to go. But we were always very aware of the weight issue. I think you'll find the smaller vehicle a better fit (if dull).
travelingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #18

Crv as a toad

This past December I drove our 2015 sprinter from tucson to Seattle viA I5. We towed a 2009 vw beetle conv on a dolly and had no problems with power. I have just purchased a 2014 CRV for my toad. So far It has performed well. Fully loaded without the toad my sprinter weight was under 11,000 pounds. Good luck on your choice.
dixon.mld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingirl View Post
We had a View for several years which we loved. We never managed to fill up all the storage (even on a 7 month trip) but we maxed out the weight pretty darn fast. I think you'd find the weight of a Honda CR-V a serious drag , as well as pushing your GCWR to the limit. Can't speak specifically as we had bicycles and with the small size of the View and our bikes we pretty much got where we wanted to go. But we were always very aware of the weight issue. I think you'll find the smaller vehicle a better fit (if dull).
Travelingirl, thank you so much for the feedback. Your thoughts on the subject is exactly what convinced me to bite the bullet and accept the ugly toad...(but still count my blessings I'm able to afford a toad in the first place).

Very simply recapping, with the View, pulling a CR-V, me, my wife and two dogs, will only leave us with approx 80 lbs to work with for bikes, bbq, and fluids, food and operating gear Adding all that will put us wayyyy over the 15,250...with the Sonic, I'll have over 800 pounds left to work with. Maybe in a few years, I'll pick up a Super C diesel...I'll be able to tow my house behind me with that one
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixon.mld View Post
This past December I drove our 2015 sprinter from tucson to Seattle viA I5. We towed a 2009 vw beetle conv on a dolly and had no problems with power. I have just purchased a 2014 CRV for my toad. So far It has performed well. Fully loaded without the toad my sprinter weight was under 11,000 pounds. Good luck on your choice.
Michael, I never took the time to actually go to a scales joint to weigh this thing. Based on your weight, I would guess the numbers Winn show are maybe a bit inflated. That's good to know. It may give me a few more pounds to work with but it would seem to be the wise move for me to stick with the little sonic...we won't be spending much time in it anyway. Thanks for your input...btw, a bit off topic, what kind of brake system did you have in the CR-V?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Well, I'm going to quote and respond to my own posted inquiry. Since I've had much time to think about it, I think I can provide my own answer.
Over the last few hours, I've done a bunch of research on this subject and I am slowly coming to my senses on this. My MAJOR concern is the weight factor so I think I am about to answer my own question here: My GVWR is 11,030 lbs. the CR-V is 3500 lbs... my wife and I and the two dogs total 420 lbs. that is 14,950. Unfortunately, my GCVWR is 15,250 which leaves me with only 300 lbs and still have to add in fuel, propane, bicycles, clothes, food, BBQ (some water in tank) and the list goes on...looks like we are keeping the Sonic. It affords me an additional 800 pounds buffer for those above listed incidentals. Hmmmm, spelling it all out like this was very therapeutic.
Maybe I missed something you posted but.. You need to weigh your MH. Until you have a REAL weight everything is speculation. Only $10 at many truck stops.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Maybe I missed something you posted but.. You need to weigh your MH. Until you have a REAL weight everything is speculation. Only $10 at many truck stops.
It looks like I just may have to do that. According to Travelingirl's post, the numbers are off significantly from what the door sticker shows. I guess I can do that tomorrow. I just filled the tank so that'll help me with a more realistic number for traveling. Thanks for the post response...Art
Old 02-11-2015, 05:42 AM   #23

CRV toad

I have a permanent brake system installed. I had the stay and play duo installed. Works great. Also had a fuse switch installed to meet the Honda requirement of pulling a fuse. Takes only a few minutes to hook up or un hook the rig. Also went to a closed scale for a weight. I know in Washington and Oregon you can pull in and get read outs.
dixon.mld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixon.mld View Post
I have a permanent brake system installed. I had the stay and play duo installed. Works great. Also had a fuse switch installed to meet the Honda requirement of pulling a fuse. Takes only a few minutes to hook up or un hook the rig. Also went to a closed scale for a weight. I know in Washington and Oregon you can pull in and get read outs.
I debated much; going back and forth on the brake system and finally settled on the Stay-In-Play Duo as well. I ordered it yesterday and should have it installed on the 24th of Feb. I shopped a couple of places but settled on a shop here in San Diego that has been doing trailer work for toads for a couple decades.

Blue Ox Alpha tow.....600
Blue Ox Baseplate.....400
Lighting parts ..........160 incl direct brake-applied lite in coach
Stay-In-Play Duo.....1000
8 inch Drop recvr...... 170
Fuse bypass switch.... 40
Tax & Labor.............1590
"cash" discount $115.
...............Totals.................$3845. Ouch!! but...it's all necessary.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #25

I first towed a 2010 Chevy Cobalt (2700#) that was a manual transmission. I barely knew it was behind me. However, my better half did not like the limited space which became severly more limited when we took both dogs for an outing. That plus the Cobalt had a cloth interior that LOVED our dogs fur and was a huge task to keep clean. Last June we replaced the Cobalt with a CRV-EXL. Cleaning is now a snap, but between the additional weight and the automatic transmission of the CRV, I can feel the difference in towing.

Dan
Pelledan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
I first towed a 2010 Chevy Cobalt (2700#) that was a manual transmission. I barely knew it was behind me. However, my better half did not like the limited space which became severly more limited when we took both dogs for an outing. That plus the Cobalt had a cloth interior that LOVED our dogs fur and was a huge task to keep clean. Last June we replaced the Cobalt with a CRV-EXL. Cleaning is now a snap, but between the additional weight and the automatic transmission of the CRV, I can feel the difference in towing.

Dan
Our Sonic is black leather (or maybe Pleather)...in any event, our white 80 pounder sheds terribly but the 8 lb chihuahua doesn't. I don't plan to take long excursions in the Sonic, we just want to be able to leave the camp site in a moment's notice with the least amt of disruption.

BTW, you never said what you were pulling your toads with?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #27

The CRV is behind our 36' 2006 Winnebago Journey powered by a 300 hp Cummins 5.9L.
Pelledan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, honda, toad