Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #1

When I tow my 2007 CRV I have to pull the accessory fuse so the battery doesn't run down. The problem is the fuse is very hard to get at. I have to get on my knees and go through contortions to pull or replace the fuse.
Does anyone have an idea on how I can make it easier?
Thanks

Gary Goldman
2007 Fleetwood Revolution 40E
2007 Honda CRV
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some folks have installed a toggle switch in the circuit so they don't have to pull the fuse. I added a battery charge wire to the toad so I wouldn't have to pull the fuse. I have only pulled mine once so far but have some longer trips planed this summer, we'll see it works then.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I share your pain. I only pulled mine once and said enough. To hard to get to and such...

I installed a Toadcharge system and have had no issues at all. It keeps the CRV nicely charged up, no issues and an easy install.
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #4

Thanks! I'm going to look into the toad-charge system. I didn't know it existed. This is why these forums are great
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #5

Battery charge wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimary View Post
Some folks have installed a toggle switch in the circuit so they don't have to pull the fuse. I added a battery charge wire to the toad so I wouldn't have to pull the fuse. I have only pulled mine once so far but have some longer trips planed this summer, we'll see it works then.
Hello,
What do you mean of "Battery Charge Wire". Did you not buy a "Toad Charger" like some of the folks do? Or you just hook a direct wire from the positive terminal of the coach or chassis battery without any charge controller or diode? Please, i want to know the detail co'z as much as possible i want to avoid the "Toad charger" because of the price. Thanks.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well, where do I start with an answer.

I have seen different things on different coaches. If you use their "battery wire", you might just get that and it brings it own set of problems. It does not necessarily know whether it needs to charge your battery or not. So it might or then again it might try and cook your battery. Some coaches have "semi-smart" systems that you can use. Then you most likely will still need a resetable fuse...

I like the Toad-Charge because it knows what to do and knows if the mother coach is not charging so as NOT to drain the mother coach batteries if you do not remember to disconnect the wire to the Toad.

I know money is a concern of all, but the Toad-charge is VERY resonably priced! No, I have nothing to do with them. Just compare what they provide to a "smart" battery charger and its price.

Also, the piece of mind is well worth it.

There are other factors to consider and discuss, but this could be rather involved, depending on way too many factors for each individual coach.
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Does the owner's manual tell you to pull the fuse? Our Element, albeit older but can be towed according to Honda, says nothing about pulling a fuse.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not remove any fuses on my 2006 CR-V. The battery has never run down. My SMI braking system is powered from the coach, so there is no current draw on the toad battery except when the brake lights come on due to the braking system operating. We've towed over 7 hours and never had a problem. However, you must shut off the radio and any other accessories that may be powered when the key is on. The shift indicator light is a small draw and hasn't killed the battery.

I think most battery problems are caused by the aux braking system running excessively and draining the battery,
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #9

I had a 2002 CRV and now a 2008 CRV I have never pulled a fuze and the owners manuals do not say to...never had a problem....I always turn off the radio and the climate control and let it roll.

Honda CR-V
Harry S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with HarryS above. I pull no fuse on my 2009 CRV either. The ign is left in the ACC position however, so all drains on battery must be turned off.

Dieselclacker
Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #11

A few of the Honda CR-V model years require pulling a fuse, but most don't. The present generation (2007-2009) require pulling a fuse according to the owner's manual. But what the manual does not say is the fuse only needs to be pulled if the CR-V has a factory installed navigation system.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #12

I also have always wondered why some say to pull fuse on CRV'S. I have pulled a 2003 and never ever had a problem. Just make sure as others have said that you turn radio, etc off.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
I also have always wondered why some say to pull fuse on CR-V'S. I have pulled a 2003 thousands of miles, 8 hours a day and never ever had a problem. Just make sure as others have said that you turn radio, etc off. "DITTO BECK"
Glenn&Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote