Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Honda CRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post
I'm looking for a different toad. It looks like a CRV Automatic can be towed 4 wheels down, is this accurate? Also I am seeing a speed limit of 65, is that accurate? Thanks for your replies.
CRV with auto transmission are towable 4 down up to 2014 model included. Towing speed limit is 65mph.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #44

Our 2002 Honda CRV (FWD) came with the '99 Lazy Daze Rear Bath we bought in Oct 2012. We now tow it behind our '17 Minnie Winnie. The Honda has 103,000 driven miles on it and at least another 100,000 towed miles. These older CRVs have a taller clearance inside and allow me to store 2 bikes in the upright position in the rear with the rear wider seat removed. The single seat remains for the dog. Am looking at the Equinox as a possible replacement for something more comfortable and filled with more safety features (esp airbags) but I hate the thought of getting rid of it. It is so economical to own and operate. When camping, we seldom use it for long trips. It's mainly just running around the area for groceries, laundry runs, short sightseeing type activity, taking the bikes to trailheads etc. A real workhorse.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #45

Honda crv toad

We have a 2013 CRV EX all wheel drive, have towed it 36,000 mi behind a 2014 Winnebago Vista 27N with Ready Brute Elite hitch with brake. No problems except had to install a radio fuse by-pass switch to keep from draining car battery. Instructions in CRV Owner's Manual. Don't know about newer transmissions.
VistaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:44 PM   #46

I tow a 2014 2WD CRV. Found one used with 16K miles on it last year! I installed the screw type, Top terminal battery Disconnect and had the installer run a 12V socket under the dash to power my blue ox braking system. I drive and average of 3.5 hours a day at 67ish MPH with no issues. I change the tranny fluid every 2 years or 20K.

It’s light, at only 3,300lbs. Rides nice and has lots of cargo space. We always buy SUV’s. I almost bought a Jeep Cherokee Trail hawk but didn’t want to deal with the extra trouble with the harness instillation To activate the active drive 2 system and worry about the death wobble if the battery went dead!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #47

We have a '99 Tradewinds also and towed a toad (CRV 2003) for the first time a couple weeks back. No drama, and although a short distance, didn't pull any fuses. Honda does recommend a sequence w/ gear shifting however before you zoom away. Good Luck!
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #48

I tow a 2007 honda crv front wheel drive and have for 5 yrs. It now has a 100,000 miles and another 20k plus miles towing. Only issues I have had is the battery which I replaced with a 25F, the starter a year ago, which I'm sure had to do with the undersized battery. Oh also brake pads, struts, and drivers door actuator. I also change transmission fluid 3.5 gets every year. Prior to the crv I towed a 2003 honda accord with no problems. I can't complain about either vehicle. Just wish they still made a vehicle that can be towed four down
Sck1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been towing our 2003 CRV using a Ready Break Elite towbar for the past 15 years. She has close to 100K miles now. Real sweet package. Follow the manual guidelines for running gears before starting and not exceeding 65mph. Just remember to count towing miles in transmission, brake and tire services. I two with the ignition in ACC position, make sure radio and fans are off, and I do not pull any fuses.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I own a 2012 Honda CRV. I have the RoadMaster fuse switch installed in the dash as well as a charging line.

Per FMCA Towing Guide, the 2014 Honda CRV is the last year that CRV was towable 4 wheels down.

I bought my first CRV new off the lot in 2004 and traded it in for a 2012 model. I plan on using this car as long as possible for ouR toad. Really a trouble free auto and is a dream to flat tow as well as using as a family vehicle.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
We tow our 2014 CRV without problems (knock on wood)

I use a hot wire through the light cord to keep the battery charged. Works fine.

To be on the safe side, I go through the gears about every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Take note -- if you cross into California the towing speed is 55mph.
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been flat towing behind a motorhome since 1994. We have not any issues towing our Honda CRV’s since 2004 or as using them as our family car.

We use the RoadMaster TowGuard to protect the front end from rock damage. I have noticed that quite a few manufacturers currently stipulate the guards block airflow and may cause tranny damage and exempt warranty. We have never had this issue with our CRV’s. Honda does not exclude their use.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #53
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have a 2012 Honda CRV and have towed it up to 80mph with no problems. I believe the 65mph limit is for Honda's lawyers. Best toad ever Now I have downsized from my 40 foot DP to a Small C (B+) and haven't tried towing it yet- possibly next year when the bug is gone (fingers crossed).
I did change the trans fluid every 20,000 miles and built a fuse switch.
Enjoy.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Honda CRV owners

We previously towed 4 wheel drive Jeep and changed to 2011 CRV and love the car. Easy to set to tow and we have been towing it now7 years. Stay somewhere around 65 mph and no problems. I installed battery cutoff switch in the dash in one of the pockets to left of steering wheel.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:56 PM   #55

Forest River Owners Club
I was happy with my 2011 AWD

I had 2011 AWD CRV. I had mine setup as follows and I thought it worked great.

Blue OX towbar with plate installed on CRV
12v Charger added and made sure RV had a 12v in the 7 way (nothing to pull that way. One less thing to remember
Had the tailights wired (extra bulbs I think) so they worked from the 7 way
RVI brake.

I drove 65 mostly and sometimes up to 75 when passing or down a big hill. I heard the transmission doesn't pump fluid right at too high of speeds so I never drove long over 65. I am 65 mph guy anyhow. I would stop every 4 hours and run back through the preparation procedure.

I towed it 10,000 miles and drove it on trips another 10k in one year. I had 90k on it (really 100k I guess). I never had any problems at all with the CRV. I did drain the tranny fluid myself every 15k miles and it takes less time than an oil change. Just added back new fluid HONDA brand trans fluid. Yes I know it was mixing old and new but that's what my Honda mechanic recommended.

Tips:
You can't back up. You must unhook unless just going a couple feet. Not a CRV issue, just too hard to get everything moving the right way with any toad. Unhook on a level street in a straight line if possible.
SailorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #56

All after 14 switched to a cv transmissions so no go after 2015. Mine is a low mileage CRV 2013 and hopefully will trail for many years. One caution is drain all you can of the transmission fluid (3.5) quarts regularly as these Honda’s have no Transmission filters and depend on 1/3 capacity fresh oil infusion regularly for smooth operation. I buy the Honda fluid on line and use 3.5 quarts each time. This is true for towed units or non towed cars. The easier than oil change is accomplished as follows: pull the transmission fluid drain and let out as much as you can. Remember only 1/3 of the fluid is accessible. Replace the plug and add same amount with an appropriate funnel through the dipstick hole. Owners of Honda’s are notorious for not performing this simple maintenance and then complaining about jerky operation. If you buy a CRVS used be prepared to do three cycles of changes to achieve the silky smooth performance. So yes these make great tows. Too bad Honda stopped using this transmission compatable with our hobby.
ronboatplane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda