RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #1

Honda CRV transmission is toast?

I dragged my toad 20' before I realized what happened. The car was in park. I've been towing for 8 years and never had anything like this happen. (It was a "perfect storm" that caused me to break my routine).

When I got into the CRV and put it into neutral, I had to force it. There was a dreadful clunk.

I got hooked up and returned 1600 miles to Minnesota without an incident. The CRV runs but as the speed picks up I hear a loud noise, it sounds like a helicopter overhead.

This is an '02 that was otherwise running great. I've kept it up and was toying with replacement due to it's age, but came back to wanting to keep it because it acts like a "rolling shed" for my bikes and gear inside.

Is something like this unrecoverable? Obviously, I am not going to put a new transmission in a vehicle that is almost 20 years old.

I'm looking at a new Equinox to carry me for the next 20 years.

I need the bumper sticker that says "STUFF HAPPENS".
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #2

I’ve seen one that says “Fecal matter occurs”, if that helps.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Funny (unfortunate) how being distracted from our routine causes us to miss things.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
NXR

From Edmunds:

"The value of a used 2002 Honda CR-V ranges from $748 to $3,716, based on vehicle condition, mileage, and options."

Used transmissions seems to range from around $300 to over $700 from a few sites. Here's one site: https://buyusedengine.com/used_trans...sion&price=asc

Only you can make the value determination on the repair/replace transmission/replace car equation.

Unless you get a newer car already equipped for towing you're probably looking at the same amount of money to equip it as to repair this one, depending on what you can transfer over.

If it was truly only twenty feet, presumably pavement, I'd be taking the car to an independent transmission shop for evaluation. You're carrying an additional risk that they may need to repair something else within the transmission that was getting worn out.

My guess is you damaged the parking pawl, if it has one. The helicopter noise tells me you should have it towed to the transmission shop because you've likely got broken pieces-parts inside causing further damage.

Was the parking brake also engaged? If so, that could have taken some of the stress off the transmission.

Just be happy you're not this guy: https://www.motor1.com/news/450203/c...amaged-rv/amp/

Ray
Old 10-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
Sorry to hear about the mishap. Funny (unfortunate) how being distracted from our routine causes us to miss things.
Distraction is the biggest enemy of the RVer. Fortunately my biggest distraction so far only cost a small amount to fix--a new fuse. But it also resulted in my being more prepared--I now carry an assortment of fuses.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with above. Replacing the tranny with a used rebuilt one, shouldn’t be too costly and then you can continue to use it or sell it. Selling it as is, won’t generate much cash.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #6

Time for a new toad

I appreciate the feedback! I have put her in the garage until next Spring, just can't deal with it right now. Maybe time for a new Chevy Equinox, which I have been thinking about anyway.

Our vehicles (and RVs) sort of become old friends...it is hard to say goodbye to this one.

I paid $8,000 for the car in 2012 - so 8 years of use.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #7

If you decide to ditch it put it on FB marketplace as toad needs trans fixed. I had a an Impala with bad trans, I let go too cheap I guess . I had to shut down the listing in in a few hours several people offered double asking to jump in line. My phone sounded like a slot machine, but 2nd guy in line was Johnny on the spot to tow it away with cash in hand ,no fuss. I had already sold rims and tires that got swapped out to sons friend prior and stole the battery.
My used cars I figure on $1000 per year plus $200 in repair parts, is way cheaper than lease or car payments. Then dump it or drive into ground depending on tires and last repairs. Other friends and coworkers freak out when their warranty is going to run out and can't sleep at night.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #8

just put one in out of a junkyard - low mileage rear end crash.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:04 AM   #9

While I'm a believer in these old CRVs the one thing they don't offer is todays safety systems. Within the past year I've prematurely traded in two perfectly fine autos, specifically for the modern safety systems.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
While I'm a believer in these old CRVs the one thing they don't offer is todays safety systems. Within the past year I've prematurely traded in two perfectly fine autos, specifically for the modern safety systems.
Exactly. It's a double edged sword. I love the simplicity of the 2002 Honda CRV. Heat/AC, radio, and the windows even go up and down.

The new Equinox has all kinds of electronic safety systems and as a mechanic I know says..."when they work, they're great".

I rented an Equinox twice from Hertz to try it on for size and I do have to say it was a major upgrade.

As a toad, not used for much highway (safety important) driving. Mostly short local trips around the destination. And it's not my daily driver at home.

Thanks again for all feedback, considering getting a bid on a replacement transmission. Burnsville MN has lots of good options for transmission service.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #11

Sorry about your dilemma here.
Unfortunately, you are going to spend some cash either way you go. Getting a professional opinion and estimate for repairs should be on your radar. Finding a good used transmission can be daunting. If you sell that vehicle and purchase another, you will be out the difference plus the cost of towing system hook ups. The real question is which way to turn, and only you can decide that. Good luck.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #12

Visit to Burnsville Transmission Shop

Owner was busy but took it out for an extensive test drive. He thinks I damaged a tire (needs to put up on hoist next week to look further) but thinks the transmission is fine. Good news for me as replacing a tire or 2 is not a big deal.

It was dragged on a very rough interior campground road for 20 feet.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #13

Good news! Let's hope it's a tire or two.

Just in case it's not, though, I looked it up this afternoon.

Disclaimer: I am not an automatic transmission guy. In fact, I have spent my entire life trying to avoid buying things with automatic transmissions. However, since I have an auto CR-V (all Honda makes now), I do own a Honda factory CR-V repair manual. If the transmission was damaged, from what I see there, it's likely the park pawl, its spring, or at worst the park gear on the countershaft. I have no clue how accessible those are, but unless there are unaccounted for bits of metal or the casting broke, replacing the damaged part or parts ought to be less expensive than another transmission...if you can find someone skilled enough to do that work.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
I don't understand this; Was it safe enough when you bought it? What made it unsafe now? Did your understanding of what is safe change? If so, then I'd suggest you not buy another vehicle, because you are just wasting money, chasing the elusive "safest vehicle."

Tags
honda, transmission