Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:01 PM   #1

Hot 4 Wheel Down Tow Setup

Hi, I am starting to round up parts to tow our 2021 Buick
Encore GX. I am going with a Roadmaster base plate because they make the best fitting one for the ST option on the car. I still need to buy the bar and brake system. The Encore is our daily driver so I would like to find a compact brake setup, one that is easy to take in and out of the car.
Any suggestions on the tow bar and brake system?????
ccutaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #2

I went for the NSA Hercules tow bar with the built in Ready Brake. The make ends for just about any baseplate. It should come in under $1,500 for everything maybe a little more if you do the work yourself. Whatever you choose I would go for a steel tow bar they don't work harden like aluminum.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I also have the Hurcules setup. Love it! Very heavy duty. My only negative on it is that it was hard to pull up the release levers if any pressure was on the bars. Notice that I said “was”. I made an alteration and now they work very easy no matter how much pressure may be on an arm.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccutaia View Post
Hi, I am starting to round up parts to tow our 2021 Buick
Encore GX.

The Encore is our daily driver so I would like to find a compact brake setup, one that is easy to take in and out of the car.
Any suggestions on the tow bar and brake system?????
Why not an installed braking system like AirForce 1 if the coach has air brakes or Stay n' Play Duo if it doesn't? Nothing to take in and out of the car.

(Although the Ready Brake system is even simpler)
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #5

I have no idea what you are talking about, it is an F53 Ford Chassis.
ccutaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:16 AM   #6

I'm in the same boat. I've been researching brake systems for a couple of weeks now. Check out the RVI 3 Brake. So far, I like what I've read about it. In you case with a F53, the air brake based options are off the table.
Revconguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:54 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow an Equinox (with Blue Ox tow bar) and Stay n Play Duo Brake.

https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...ay-in-play-duo

I love the brake system since it takes both MoHo braking and inertia into account before applying TOAD brakes. I installed it myself (took a good bit of time mainly because the Equinox has so little room anywhere under the hood) and included a charging circuit and an indicator that shows when the brakes are applied in the TOAD on the dash of the MoHo.

Very satisfied with how it all works and how we can still use the Equinox as a daily driver.
OuttaMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:50 AM   #8

I also have a 21 encore gx st and very happy with demco commander ll tow bar and complete RVi 3 system, brake, battery charger, wireless breakaway switch and tire patrol. Also use the roadmaster battery disconnect solenoid kit and mounted button in front wheelwell so no chance of locking myself out. Tows great easy hook up and comfortable to drive.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I just switched from a Brake Buddy to a ReadyBrake.

So much simpler and no more putting in and taking out of the system. And uses no electricity.

Another plus is that it's a proportional brake system that only brakes as hard as you are stopping. In other words, if you slow down slowly, it hardly uses the brakes. But if you brake hard, it will apply the toad brakes hard as well.

I have no affiliation with ReadyBrake and paid full price for the system.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow