Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2023, 06:48 PM   #29

Supplemental power

I tow a 2018 Z71 Colorado. Did not want to drill through the floor board for the RVi Power workaround. I bought a 12v solid state battery that sits in the toad driver seat connected to the RVi brake. Simple. And the SS battery is going strong.
And I have had two toad disconnect issues. Thank the RV gods for a breakaway brake.
BernieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #30

Why not contact RVI and see what they say.
rneal55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:31 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

I use the RVIBrake Battery Charge Device that came with my previous RVIBrake-2 which keeps the car battery fully charged while towing.

There is a hot wire in both my 7-Way and 6-Way connectors on the coach which mates with the hotwire to the charge device.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:44 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing 2023 Colorado

I appreciated all the info shared as I flat tow 2020 Colorado myself and have had to work thru this issue. However; the first thing you should double check is , “Is the 2023 Colorado flat towable?” I noticed with some surprise according to FMCA flat towable list of 2023 models the Colorado was not listed! This would be a major change from their history, but it sent off alarms for me. It could be that data on the Colorado was simply missing, however; the Silverado was listed as usual. Just a big FYI.
Ndtewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:54 AM   #33

We tow a 2016 F-150 and use the DUO STAY AND PLAY Brake system, don't need the battery charge system or air system.

Rod
Old 02-27-2023, 01:52 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndtewes View Post
I appreciated all the info shared as I flat tow 2020 Colorado myself and have had to work thru this issue. However; the first thing you should double check is , “Is the 2023 Colorado flat towable?” I noticed with some surprise according to FMCA flat towable list of 2023 models the Colorado was not listed! This would be a major change from their history, but it sent off alarms for me. It could be that data on the Colorado was simply missing, however; the Silverado was listed as usual. Just a big FYI.
The 2023 Colorado is not listed because no one has one yet. Mine is built and sitting in the rail yard because it cannot be sold until the EPA does their MPG thing. GM has to have the MPG to put on the sticker.

I know it is flat towable because I have a PDF of the 2023 owners manual.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 01:53 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Fisher View Post
Bob,

I use the RVIBrake Battery Charge Device that came with my previous RVIBrake-2 which keeps the car battery fully charged while towing.

There is a hot wire in both my 7-Way and 6-Way connectors on the coach which mates with the hotwire to the charge device.
I have that also and will transfer it from the Sonic to the Colorrado.

Bob
Old 02-27-2023, 01:55 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldswofford View Post
I have a 2020 Silverado Z71 that I pull behind my class A.
I had a Jeep JK prior to the Z71.
I have an older Brake Buddy system.
Step 1 - The Chevy requires a battery disconnect to keep the electronic e-brake from accidentally engaging while in toad mode.
I installed a power disconnect switch at the battery and ran a button into the cab, so after I finish all my toad setup and am ready, I press the disconnect and then put the truck in park.
Step 2 - As for powering the Brake Buddy, I have run a separate power line from the battery (separate from the disconnect circuit) into the cab with a 12V power plug this provides constant power (like the Jeep JK's circuit that is in the arm rest compartment).
Step 3 - To ensure that the Brake Buddy drain on the battery doesn't cause a sever drain issue, I added a final circuit at the battery compartment, which is an inline small charger that gets pulls power through the 6-pin connector I installed at the front of the truck for the tail lights/turn signals from the RV 7-pin connector. I only needed 4 wires for the lights, so that left 2 additional wires that I could use to pull power from the RV when the 7-Pin/6-Pin connector is hooked up for the toad.

Your Colorado should be that same as my Silverado.

Hopefully all this makes sense. Good Luck with your setup.

Larry
This just about what I plan to do.

Bob
Old 02-27-2023, 01:57 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Bob....I towed a 2016 GMC Canyon for about four years. Roadmaster makes an electric switch operated battery disconnect for the non-diesel models (diesels pull too much amperage when starting). They now have a manual model for the diesels.

The Roadmaster unit disconnects the positive side of the battery. GM says to disconnect the negative side, but that's a CYA procedure so that people don't stick a wrench against a ground.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...disconnect.php

I mounted the power for my Air Force One braking to the battery side of the disconnect. I ran the switch inside and mounted it inside the glove box on the door frame. I never installed a charge line and never had an issue with a low battery in the time I towed it.

Attachment 387148

Lastly, unless you already bought your base plates, check them out. When I bought mine, the Blue Ox base plates made their tow bar connection above the bumper on Canyon and Colorado. The Roadmaster base plates connected under the bumper. If you have a Class A gasser, the Blue Ox connections are higher and match up better with a gasser. The Roadmaster matched up (closer to level) with the lower to the ground DP hitches.
Good to hear from you Don. I will check it out and yes I knew why GM said to disconnect the negative cable. No way I was going that route.

Bob
Old 02-27-2023, 02:21 PM   #38

We went with the NSA Ready Brake to avoid needing power in the toad. Wire from the brake to the brake pedal. Wire from the mh frame to the pedal handles the brake away issues.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:31 PM   #39

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
We have the RVi brake system and it seems to work great. Last night however, I ran the Equinox for 10 minutes after about a 6 hour tow, and then set the brake system up for this morning's trip. Brake system ran the car battery dead overnight (my fault, even though the toad was plugged in to the MH and the 50 amp power was hooked up. I won't do this again. Lots to learn.....and every trip is an adventure. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:08 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalone View Post
We have the RVi brake system and it seems to work great. Last night however, I ran the Equinox for 10 minutes after about a 6 hour tow, and then set the brake system up for this morning's trip. Brake system ran the car battery dead overnight (my fault, even though the toad was plugged in to the MH and the 50 amp power was hooked up. I won't do this again. Lots to learn.....and every trip is an adventure. Happy camping.
The charge circuit from the motorhome usually does not work unless the engine is running. There is a relay that must be energized to enable the charging and it only does so with the engine on.

Bob
Old 02-28-2023, 06:11 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
For all you folks recommending supplemental braking systems I appreciate your effort but we have been using the Rvi3 for 2-1/2 years now and have about $2k invested there. Don't think I am going to throw it out no matter how much better some other unit is.

Bob
Old 02-28-2023, 06:37 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I did what you mentioned. Removed the negitive wire off the battery. My Toad would still have the the positive auxiliary battery wire and negitive ground wire through the 5 pin connection between the the motor home and toad. So. I would still have power at my brake controler in thre toad.

I think how my toad and MH are connected together. I would still 12v power in the toad when ever the MH ignition is turned on and the isolation relay is energized. Since the connection is only with 12 guage wires I would not want to try to start the toad.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, disconnect, power