Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Before we got our current toad, a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 wd, our toad was a 2008 Dodge Dakota that tipped the scales at about 5200 lbs. it was towed with our 2005 Bounder 38N DP with a 300 HP Cat. It towed it with no problems at all. We towed it to Estes Park, Co. with no problems at all. 300 HP should work very well with what you are going to tow. Our Jeep weighs in at around 4200 lbs.

Jerry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #16

The comments about getting as much HP as you can afford are to me the best advice. I have a 400 HP Cummins ISL in my 40' Endeavor and like it for the following reasons :
1] Pull long grades at 60 MPH + with ease
2] Engine temp never gets close to indicate a heat problem
3] You have an exhaust or jake brake so your not burnin your
brakes up going down steep grades [ when operated properly ]
The 400 ISL is really just an average size engine ,some of the tags are 600 - 650 HP.
And i'm not really in a big hurry to get anywhere , just like the performance.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not in a big hurry either, but I have all the confidence in the world that no matter what mountain pass, either up or down, that I enquire on a given trip I can drive it with ease. On previous coaches, using this same no hurry theory, I would be either over temping the engine or the brakes. Buy the size coach and engine that "you" know you'll be pleased with based on our inputs. It's all about getting out there and having some fun with the least amount of worries.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
The comments about getting as much HP as you can afford are to me the best advice. I have a 400 HP Cummins ISL in my 40' Endeavor and like it for the following reasons :
The 400 ISL is really just an average size engine ,some of the tags are 600 - 650 HP.

I have an 09 425 Cummins hauling about 42,000 lbs, and wonder what weight you are hauling and if 60 mph is maintained over a 10 mile 6% grade? Thanks
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #19

CampDaven,
Well you know the answer to your question. I wasn't stating that I defy all physics in a heavy machine. My point was on the long gradual grades where the semis are over to the right with there 4 way hazards on , I pull comfortably instead of crawling. If i'm in Billy Goat country I always drive right lane and do not abuse my machine.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #20

Quote:
CampDaven,
Well you know the answer to your question. I wasn't stating that I defy all physics in a heavy machine. My point was on the long gradual grades where the semis are over to the right with there 4 way hazards on , I pull comfortably instead of crawling. If i'm in Billy Goat country I always drive right lane and do not abuse my machine.

Okay! I do the same. Thanks
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #21

Quote:

Okay, a couple things here...
I didn't know engine heat was problem. Is that a big concern? Or is it just a matter of pulling over to let the rig cool down if it happens?
Secondly, is the exhaust or jake brake something that only comes on larger rigs? What size? I'm looking at getting a 34-36 footer. Seems like descending steep grades could be a problem.
I'm not in a hurry either, but am concerned about potential problems. Thanks for the info.
Roamin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Exhaust brakes usually come on CAT 3126 or C-7's and ISB, ISC & some ISL's although most ISL's have engine (Jake brakes). Anything larger like the C-9 or ISM, and ISX will have Jake brakes. Some will be 1 stage, some will be 2 stage and some (like ours) will have three stage selectors.
Exhaust brakes put a flapper valve restriction in the exhaust system, the Jake brake uses the valves to basically turn the engine into a compressor and add restriction.
The Jake type brakes are much stronger some, like ours, provide up to 600 HP of braking force.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #23

MPM,
You were still having trouble with 340 horses??? That's disappointing. What size rig was the Ventana? I'm only looking for a 34-36 ft rig - I don't think I've seen one with more than 330 horses.
Roamin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
My Ventana LE was a 2015 3812. To Be fair it would do the job. On the other hand my DS is the shortest Tag offered giving it the best power to weight ratio of any 2015 DSDP with a TAG. My complaint with the VLEDP was climbing a grade from a dead stop. The other part of the equation was I wanted more power. 330hp in a 34-36 DP should be fine. I don't know the TQ on the CAT vs. the ISB and if you go back to far the ISB looses displacement.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with DAJO and others that said to get all the HP you can afford. Again, you won't be sorry.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #26

We have a 300hp Cat in our 2001 Dutch Star. We pull a 2004 Honda Element, three kayaks on the toad rack, two bicycles on the back of the toad. MPG right on 8.0 at 60 mph. Enough power for us. Sure we slow to 45mph on the really steep grades, exhaust brake on the down hill, brake buddy in the toad, start the descent at the speed you want to end the descent, take it easy.

That said, our Dutch Star has a max tow capacity of 5000 lbs, vrs the Cummins 300hp of the same year which is 10,000 tow capacity. Your Jeep will come between 4,200 and 4,500 empty, add fuel, kayaks, and stuff, and you will be pushing or over 5,000. Horse powder aside, you may want to consider a coach with a 10,000 lb tow capacity (still limited by the gross COMBINED weight). My $2.89 worth (2 cents adjusted for 2015 inflation)
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep reading the subject of this thread and truthfully can offer the O/P no assistance.. But I just had to say something.

Now where I'm parked is Cathead Creek RANCH Rv park,, Used to hold rodeo competitions here (Still have the arena and bleachers) .

We had a 2 horse RV pull in the other day. Yup Two horse. It was a "Toy Hauler" type only the Toy garage was for Horses, 2 of 'em.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Gees people, we used to drag 80,000 lbs with 220 ponies.
Literally Drag....