Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #1

How many of you tow an enclosed trailer?

I just purchased a 23' enclosed car hauler trailer to tow behind the motorhome. How many people tow this type of trailer? Anything I need to know, problems towing, problems parking it? What do you do with it when you get the rv park? Haven't hooked it up to the motorhome yet, still getting ready for it. Bought a Prodigy brake controller and need to install it, rewired the towing plug from 6 wire to 7, bought a hitch lock and four tie downs. Anything else I need? What kinds of things do you take with you? What modifications have you made to the trailer? Benches, shelf, tie downs etc? Last question, any issues hooking it up and towing it? I have noticed many people towing enclosed trailers with their motohomes, can't wait to join them.....
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, while waiting for other's to post,.........here is a thread you might be interested in http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trai...ig-181760.html
Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
for starters get a camera on the back of the trailer. We also removed the manual brake adjuster backer plates and purchased auto adjuster for about $50 each. We have a hitch lock with a ball and the lever too. also got a wheel lock (boot). the brake controller is good too.

You did not say what you were going to put in the trailer. Might have a few thoughts on that for you too.

I don't go to camp ground but many have overload parking. When travel give yourself more room to stop. get used to backing up by going to an open parking lot somewhere and practice backing and turning. be careful not to exceed you tongue turning radius or crushing the back of your MH if turning to tightly. Watch out if you go into a parking lot with islands that may cause you to become grid locked.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #4

We're in the same place. Still have to wire in the brake .... and planning on our first test run in a couple of weeks, like the Wal-Mart parking lot or something just to get the feel and try to get turning marks ;..
I bolted down my tool boxes in the trailer, and will add a front cabinet next year ... lots of boxes to deliver on our first tour .... ((kids stuff))
Added some tie downs on the walls to be able to secure anything with straps .... got our car tie downs and frame t-locks for the car frame .... now just doing clean up and prep for travel ....
Will keep you informed ..... and hope you'll share your experiences as well ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I hope you got a trailer with a 1foot longer tongue for towing behind a motorhome. You're going to need it. You might be able to add a longer stinger to your hitch, but that might add too much leverage to the hitch, bending it the same as adding too much hitch weight. Depends on the hitch. Been there, done that still on occasion. Cross tie the car, or you might find it'll walk sideways in the trailer,
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Forgot to add we also purchased a small hydraulic scale to weigh the hitch weight. Really helps when hauling different cars and motorcycles.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

Wood foot, I did get a trailer with the extra length on the tongue. The body length is 20'9" and the trailer is 23'6" so I have about 3 ft in front. I also got one that has an overall height of 8'8" so there is lots of room inside. I can't even reach the vent handles. It also has 10k gvwr. I am towing a Ford Edge in it so there should be plenty of room inside. Plan to make a fold down work bench and mount some hold downs. May even mount a tool box inside. I plan to mount a small generator so I have power. I am installing a trailer hitch on the back of the Edge so when I get to the park I can hook the trailer up to the Edge and move it to the parking area when needed.
Steve
Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #8

I am a Ford man myself, however the Edge probably won't have what it takes in the rear suspension for that kind of tongue weight. I have a FW Expedition 39s and pull a 28' enclosed and I would still suggest an equalizer hitch. Has no problem towing but make sure you have the longer tongue on trailer or you could crush the ladder or exhaust tip on mh, (lookout for turning situations with dips). Also make sure trailer loaded on mh is level or you will drag the back of the trailer occasionally, and with that being said, have someone put metal roller wheels under the back of your trailer. Hope this info helps!
klcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #9

Klcracing, thanks for the thoughts. I will only be using the Edge to move the trailer around the Rv park to a parking space. I won't ever take it out on the road. As for the steel wheels, the trailer came with them already welded on the back. I will make sure that it is level though, the hitch ball I purchased is adjustable up and down.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #10

I am going to see how the trailer tows before I think about an equalizer hitch. I do have the extra length on the tongue and don't have a ladder and the exhaust is on the side.
Steve
Old 01-21-2015, 03:48 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I am going to see how the trailer tows before I think about an equalizer hitch. I do have the extra length on the tongue and don't have a ladder and the exhaust is on the side.
Steve
Here is a thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/weigh...no-230121.html on this, and some more to study and read https://www.google.com/search?q=air+...v2.com&spell=1

There is no need for a weight distributing system on a air ride/level controlled air spring suspension. These systems(WDH) were designed to work with leaf/coil spring suspension's. Your air suspension level control valve's will keep your suspension at the "set" ride height, no matter how you load it..........
Old 01-21-2015, 04:50 AM   #12

Thank you for that info. Wasn't aware off that.
Steve
Old 01-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #13

Been yank'n this one around for many years!

Since we like to winter at the river, I set this up as my Man Cave!

I carry a washing machine and use the RO water from the coach, a small freezer, full size refrigerator, and a big wine cooler.

There are two industrial storage racks, (one on each side) from Costco that hold all our coach supplies and then some!

I also added a separate 20 amp outlet for the extra power needs!

DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #14

We tow a 20 ft. trailer with our corvette inside. It is the only way to tow this vehicle. We have a v front and the space in the front of the v is tremendous, we call it our garage and keeps everything we don't have space for in the motorhome. We are full timers and need all the space we can get. We also get pull through huge spaces because it is a pain to hitch and unhitch and find a place to put it. We have been doing this for almost 4 years now and have always found pull thru spots, we are 65 ft long and if the space is a little short they just put some traffic cones around us. The places we go to, I call early and make sure of the size of the site and also of the roads leading to it. No sense in having a huge site if the road is too small to get in and out. Happy travels.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow