Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How many people use Supplemental Brakes for your Toad??

I just installed an EvenBrake in my toad after many miles/years of nothing back there but hopes. My parents have logged many, many thousands of miles/decades and still no brakes in the toad. How about the rest of you? Who does and who doesn't use a supplemental braking system in your toad? Why and why not, and let's hear some horror stories!!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
No brakes on TOAD.. TOAD weighs 2200 lbs. I've taken extra steps to mitigate a break away, Extra chains and cables that connect frame to hitch receiver, and TOAD base plate.

Also dual independent inspections of towing equipment whenever we hookup and during stops.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Many (most) have laws requireing supplamental brake assist on toads. I have two toads set up with assist braking system Roadmaster Brake Master(air brake version) so if I ever needed it and I have or if I were involved in an accident the insurance company can not say they wil will not pay because you were not following the laws concerning assis brakes on the toads.
I have had serveral idiot pull out in front of me and once cows in the road coming around a sharp curve.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some states require braking, but not all. In WA, OR and CA you don't need add'l braking if you can stop in XX feet from XX mph. Some states consider a motorized vehicle to be a trailer, but again, not all do.
By law you must comply with ALL the laws of the state you are in, not just your home state. That pretty much means that legally you are required to have add'l braking.
With our Magna, towing our Odyssey we're still below the GVWR and with the three stage engine brake and 6 position air disk brakes I know the rig can stop with no add'l help. But to be legal I still need the brakes on the Odyssey and, when the DW's liver cancer gets ironed out I'll install the kit I have to connect up the 9160 BrakeMaster I already have in the Ody.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use a Brak Buddy if I'm going any distance. Just to local campgrounds, nothing.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I use a Roadmaster Invisabrake. I have had issues where I unplugged it because it ran my car battery down. I am having a charge line installed this week.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I use a Roadmaster Brakemaster, I towed a Chevy spark for a while 2375 lb now a Kia Soul 2700 and a F150 CC about 5800 lb all with a toad brake. The toad brake has saved us a couple times in interstate accidents just ahead of us, I am sure on one in particular I would have been the back of a 18 wheeler trailer we right on top of it when we stopped with everything locked up.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the RVi2 Brake, not because I need it (2400lb toad), but because most states require a supplemental braking system. If I am in an accident, I want to be as legal as possible.

BTW, RVi2 Brake is easy to set up and customer service is great. My brake got flooded by a leaking water line to fridge while in basement. Sent it back to RVi and told them I needed quick turnaround because of upcoming trip and they got it back to me 3 days early. Good people.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use an EvanBrake and move it between the 2 toads I have, and have the safety breakaway hooked up. I did not install it to satisfy any laws, I did it because it is the right thing to do.
I look at it this way, planes normally do not fall fro the sky, but every now and then one does, and I hope I am not a passenger when that happens. I apply the same thought to my toad. They do come loose every now and then, and folks say they inspected everything regularly, but it happened anyway. I could not sleep if any of mine broke loose and maimed, or killed someone because I was to cheap to spend a few bucks, and IMHO opinion you can't put a price tag on someone else's life. I have seen one that did break loose and it was stopped by a tree, thankfully everyone else saw it coming and was able to get around it without any contact. The upside is, they also help with braking.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #10

Im with usualsuspect. I don't need the extra brakes but if god forbid I was ever in a situation where someone got hurt I would have to know it was a total accident and I did everything I know of to prevent it. If one is smart enough to ask the question then they know the right answer. Adding breakaway protection is usually simple. I have m&g and hook up is less then 10 seconds.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:23 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Since 2004, I've always used "brakebuddy" system and it's breakaway feature; in 2011, I pulled a dolly that had brakes but not the breakaway option; those toads were over 3500 lbs.
Today I'm towing a 1800 lbs toad without any brakes on it; I might buy another "brakebuddy" before snowbirding next november.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We also have breakaways on both of our toads,
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #13

We have used the Blue Ox Patriot on our toad for 5 years. On our 1st month of full time RVing we had a van/bus stop on freeway in front of us after just entering the freeway. I was standing on the brakes and got stopped about 10 feet from the back of the van. Without the Patriot breaking system I would have run the bus over and who knows how many passengers that were inside. After full timing for 3 years and driving the MH about 15,000 miles and having many drivers cutting us off and pulling out in front of us on entrance ramps I won't drive with out one no mater how far we go.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:41 AM   #14

I have an inertial braking system on my towed. Is it needed? I don't know, but I feel better having it.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, toad