Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

How much different towing with TOAD?

I have had a motor home for a couple years now and am pretty comfortable driving it, well, except for the mountains, but now I'm getting ready to start pulling a TOAD. How much different will I find the tow experience? I'm not worried about MPG and things like that but making turns, especially right turns and stopping for gas and things like that. Right now when I make a right turn I just start my turn when my hips are past the curb or street or wherever I'm turning, will that change with a TOAD? I'm really nervous about this but I really do want to broaden the places I can experience so have pretty much made up my mind to do this I think. Thanks for any insight.

Chucklehead
Chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You just have to leave more room to make a turn. I watch my rear view cameras during tight turns also.
Takes some practice but you get used to it pretty quickly. With our 45' rig I go forward till the tag is even with the curb, then turn. For a really sharp turn I lift the tag too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:08 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I flat tow a 2200 lb Civic. I can't even tell its back there. I do watch sharp turns as the very back end of the Civic will cut the radius (turn inside) by a foot or so. This will vary with each MH, based on MH wheel base, and how far back the trailer hitch is located behind the rear wheels.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
hooked up yesterday for our Labor Day trip and actually slowed around our neighborhood corners bringing it back to the house and watched closely how it tracked compared to the 5th wheels I had...
our jeep actually seems to track INSIDE the rear coach tires !

my thoughts are it's because of the long overhang and long tow bar moving the pivot back so when the front turns left, the rear goes right 'pulling' the jeep to the right initially and then it tracks back to the left...
(Maybe that's how my left rear got a scratch or two at the shop last time, someone didn't account for the 'swing' of the rear end in tight quarters)

So, the only difference I note is the setup and breakdown hook up...
oh, and that thing were you can't back up !!!!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Howdy and welcome Chucklehead!

Someone might be able to give some specific info if we knew what type of MH you have (maybe configure your signature).

In general, a toad is not really a big deal. Not being able to backup is the most negative aspect. However; a quality tow bar setup allows you to connect/disconnect pretty quickly so that is always an option. I've never had to do it in the middle of the street while blocking traffic but I'm told it takes longer under those conditions.

Total length is always an issue - you will be adding another twenty feet or so to your rig. This just requires a bit more diligence when maneuvering.

With my setup, the toad wheels follow about the same track as my rear coach wheels so no 'extra' space is required for a turn. However; I would guess that varies from one rig to the next based on a number of things (overhang, tow bar length, etc...). At just a hair over sixty feet in total length, I am thankful I get to use the truck diesel lanes at the travel plazas - can't imagine squeezing into and out of the auto fuel lanes is easy.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #6

Sorry I haven't had time to add a signature. I have a Georgetown 364TS motorhome that's about 37ft in length and will be towing a 04 TrailBlazer. Thanks for the responses so far.
Chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Your Georgetown is a gas motorhome I think and your trailblazer is probably up toward the higher end of allowable weight rating for your motorhome. If so you may get a bit of the tail wagging the dog sensation sometimes in cross winds or uneven roads. If you are too white knuckled when it happens I think you can oversteer a bit and just make it worse. I bet you do fine though. The best thing you have going for you is that you are using your head in advance and will be carefull. Soon you will almost forget the toad is back there and have to look at the camera to make sure.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have towed pickups to cavaliers with 36 and 38 foot MH. The Trailblazer is tucked behind the MH so close that you will only see it in a mirror on tight turns. I would suggest making a tight turn after hookup and look in mirror to be sure wheels are rolling. You need very little to none Compensation for making turns. After a few tries you will see it is easy. Have fun exploring with the toad.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motor home: 37'7" Damon Intruder
Chassis Workhorse, Engine Chevy 8.1L Tranny: Allison

Towed #1: 4000 pounds 1992 Chevy Lumina APV with spoiler and Axle Lock.
Towed #2: 2001 Dodge Neon SE with LP-1 Lube Pump

Both cars track beautifully. I basically can forget they are there on most corners and such due to the large "Tail hang" on a gas chassis they track WITHIN the rear tire marks of the motor home.

The 4,000 Pound Lumina with axle lock and spoiler towed like a dream, basically I did not know it was there save for two occasions (Later)

the Neon at 2500 pounds costs me a bit of MPG It tows HEAVIER than the Lumina... This is because of the axle lock on the lumina I suspect though the spolier helped too. (the Lumina spoiled air flow behidn the motor home enough to become a free tow, very little "Drag" from the drive train with the axle lock open).

The two occasions were back road mountain hills.. one I actually had to "Drop" the lumina and drive over the peak independent

The other I made it.. Just

Both are roads I should not really have been driving with a Class A.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a rear view camera.
Don't back up with the toad.
Make sure you have an exit strategy in mind when you pull in to get gas, food ect.
Always use an aux brake.
Always have a check list when you are hooking up. I've done it hundreds of times and still use my check list.
The life you save may be someone elses.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #11

Hello, Chucklehead-

One thing not yet mentioned: Be aware that drivers trying to fall in behind your rig often don't expect a toad to be there, or they can't see it. As a result, you have to control traffic merging from your right into your lane. I found it worthwhile to speed up a little sooner than I might without the toad, so that the merging car's driver sees it earlier and you give him more room to get into the lane. Sometimes, if the other car is alongside you and closely matched to your speed, you will have to slow and let the driver merge in front of you. You're trying to keep the thought "I'll just tap my brakes and slip in ten feet behind this RV" out of his mind. And remember: Visibility of your toad (from the side) is even worse at night.

On our big trip we got into a tight spot only twice and had to unhook the toad. But, as "Rick 2005/Dolphin 5376" pointed out, we tried to scout things out to avoid that.

A toad will give you some freedom to explore. Enjoy it!

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I flat tow a 2200 lb Civic. I can't even tell its back there.
Same with us. A 32-foot Class C (Ford V-10) and a 2004 Honda CR-V. Can't tell it's back there, either.

Other ideas expressed here are spot on:
* Don't back up with the toad.
* Make sure you have an exit strategy in mind when you pull in to get gas, food etc.
* Always use an aux brake.
* Always have a check list when you are hooking up.
Especially the one about having an exit strategy when filling up.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You'll do just fine. Regarding cornering, every motor coach is a little different. I wait until my back axle is entering the corner, then I start making my turn. My toad follows my coach's rear wheel track, so I don't have to change my cornering tactics for the toad. But some do. Sometimes changing the length of the hitch receiver can help that.

Bottom line is, I think just get that toad hooked up and practice.

On the highway, basically I don't even know the toad is there. I do have the rear monitor on all the time so I can feel that I know what's going on back there. The toad does cost a little in fuel, but not much.

The only thing I do not like about pulling a vehicle behind the coach is that I cannot back up. It does restrict where I am willing to go.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, tow, towing