Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How often are you scared when you look at your rear camera and your TOAD is missing?

It never fails, that during trips when I am Towing the car, that I make a turn and glance at the camera display and come close to a heart attack because I don't see the TOAD behind me.....whoops....the turn signal is on and that is the side view.

Am I the only one that does this

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey that really happened this week so it can be a reality! The bumper came off in a Equinox and there goes the toad....it was on the news somewhere...I read about it in another forum site. The man was very lucky. No one hurt.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ha .................. I've heard of that happening to folk !!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:02 AM   #4
YC1

Not after I disconnected the wires from the turn signal. Get ready to change lanes and some goof ball pulls next to the toad but you can't see it because the turn signal is stealing the camera view that I really need. I can still select them manually but rarely do. I have great mirrors.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:38 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Not after I disconnected the wires from the turn signal. Get ready to change lanes and some goof ball pulls next to the toad but you can't see it because the turn signal is stealing the camera view that I really need. I can still select them manually but rarely do. I have great mirrors.
Good idea. I don't use the camera for a lane change, only the mirrors. But I do use the camera to confirm the toad is still tracking correctly. Wish that was a configuration setting.

Dan
Old 01-28-2015, 04:39 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Happened to me a while ago. I was pulling out of a rest area on a very windy day and heard a loud banging noise. Looked in the camera display and no toad. Of course the turn signal was on and the banging was a slide topper flapping in the wind. Fresh pair of shorts and off we go........
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I admit it happening to me,,,,once.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #8

I saw the news in Mobile AL last night and a TOAD came loose and drifted down the Interstate until it came to rest. No other vehicles involved. It was a Chevy I believe and the owner was interviewed and said it might have been a weld problem. I could not see a clear view of the car, but the plastic part of the bumper was missing. Generates a lot of questions in my mind, but no one hurt.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I want my rearview shot all the time.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
Community Administrator

I had a red HHR and one day the exact car passed me by and for a split second ( felt like much more ) I thought it was my toad.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, for one reason the side view camera is COLOR and the rear view is wack and blight.. er, black and white.

And if you have been reading the story of the Equinox that lost the front clip, along with the motor home towing it... Well when my Lumina was about to do that I pulled into ye-old-body shop and .. .they fixed it.

Thankfully I felt something was wrong.. and though I did not know what, The body man did. (The very failure that the Equinox in that story has, only in the "Developing stage",, Nice of Ramo to catch it in time).
Old 01-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
The ONLY time I would become concerned is if the RV2 Brake monitor threw a ***BREAKAWAY*** alert on the display! I read about the vehicle that just recently broke away from an RV... Have these people ever heard of an auxiliary break package??
Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #13
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Good idea. I don't use the camera for a lane change, only the mirrors. But I do use the camera to confirm the toad is still tracking correctly. Wish that was a configuration setting.

Dan

A simple snip of the cutters and your cameras will not be activated by the signals.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I have had a brief scare a time or two when we were not towing since I am so used to seeing a car there. Mine is prior to the turn signal camera models ...sometimes "improvements" solve one problem and create another one or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
I read about the vehicle that just recently broke away from an RV... Have these people ever heard of an auxiliary break package??
Read it again, look at the pictures, and think about how it is all set up. Auxilliary brake systems do not always have a breakaway feature, and when they do, the trigger is almost always mounted on the part of the car that came off along with the base plate. I agree that the news report leaves a lot of unanswered questions that rver's would like to have answered (ie. how did the car travel 2+ miles from where the front end was ripped off/why was the front end or base place not still attached to the tow bar on the rear of the mh/etc, etc), but IF he had an aux brake system and IF it had a breakaway feature installed, the trigger likely was not pulled because it was ripped off the car along with everything else.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, toad