Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How to calibrate a Blue-Ox Patriot Brake System?

I am contemplating getting a Patriot Brake System. My main 3 reasons are that I own a Blue-Ox tow bar and I have been VERY happy with it, additionally we have one toad but may also add our SUV as a toad, and lastly I like the idea of a drop in system.

So, I have been reviewing the literature for the Patriot. They say that to calibrate the system, set it to number 5. Lower number decreases brake pedal pressure, higher number increases it.

But, how do you do it? Look in rear camera and check for smoke? Examine tires for flat spots?

How have you done it?
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #2

I use the patriot system. Each time you set it up, you simply press a button on the unit and it presses on the pedal 3 times.

Then once it is completed, it says "ready"

There is a monitor that goes in the coach that shows you anytime the brakes are applied to the toad. You can adjust the sensitivity from here and you can also manually apply the brakes if you have to....

It take 3 mins to set up, and less than that to remove.

Big thumbs up!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
you watch the remote unit as you're braking to see when it engages, I keep mine on setting 3 when pulling our Wrangler-used it for 3 years now with no problems.

I don't want it to engage very aggressively unless I'm braking pretty good...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for your response...I guess that is what I was looking for....that you look at the unit and increase/decrease the sensitivity based on when you brake the RV and when the Toad responds.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #5

I have used the Patriot for a year or so. It is easy to install and use, but I am convinced it is not that effective on easy stops, which I try to do every time i stop. My toad only weighs 2,500 lbs, so not much help needed. I know I could increase the sensitivity, but it still takes some time for the unit to engage the brakes and I don't think that can be adjusted. Works ok on hard stops, and I guess that is where it is really needed.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake