Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

Question How to flat tow a jeep wrangler

I have a 2015 jeep wrangler sport. What do I need to do to flat tow? I am haveing it wired so the lights on the jeep will work off the bounder.
What about the ignition? I noticed that with the key off the steering does not lock.
What do I have to do regarding the key thing while towing?
Thank you,
fishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Your owners manual should provide all the information for how to set up your wrangler to tow with all 4 wheels on the ground. Most (if not all) jeeps can be flat towed, by following a procedure in the owners manual to put the transfer case into neutral. I can remove my key from the ignition when I tow my Cherokee.

Regarding tow bars, there are a few brands. I chose the BlueOx brand.

In addition, most states now require all toad vehicles have a supplemental braking system when attached to tow vehicle. There are "set on the floor" units and there are built in units. There are lots of reviews and posts on many forums which expound the benefits of all types and brands. I chose SMI AirForce 1 brand.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinman View Post
I have a 2015 jeep wrangler sport. What do I need to do to flat tow? I am haveing it wired so the lights on the jeep will work off the bounder.
What about the ignition? I noticed that with the key off the steering does not lock.
What do I have to do regarding the key thing while towing?
Thank you,
Well Sir,
I'm way more familiar with older Jeeps and what's needed on them for prep for towing but, the very first thing I'd do if I were you is, GO TO THE OWNERS MANUAL and read what IT says for towing. Many vehicles that are authorized for flat towing, sometimes change from year to year, in prep operations. That means, what someone else does in theirs, even a '14 model, could quite possibly be different than prepping yours for towing.

But, off the top of my head, based on just what you stated, if your key is in the "Off" position and, your steering is still free, using logic, it stands to reason that nothing more is needed IN THAT DEPARTMENT. But, you'll still need to place the transfer case in neutral and, if it's an automatic, it goes into Park. If it's a stick, in the old days, as in TJs, YJs etc., it went into 2nd gear (just to stop any "sympathetic" spinning of any gears that weren't lubed while towing).

Once that's done, you're good to go. But again, check that owners manual for your specific vehicle and be guided by what it states.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #4

Thank you all for your input. The owners manual on 2015 really stinks. Not much info on anything. It does state the shifting but nothing about the key.
fishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The key issue is always coming up. YES, you can remove your key. You do not have to have the key turned on to tow your Jeep. We've pulled our Jeep over 19000 miles and here is the procedure:

Hook up your tow bar and lights.
We use a ReadyBreak so that gets hooked up.
With motor running Put Jeep in Neutral on the transfer case.
Put transmission into drive (we have an automatic) or first gear to ensure the transfer case is indeed in neutral.
Shut engine off and put transmission into park. (Yup...we have an automatic transmission)
Make sure the parking brake is off.
PULL THE KEY AND EXIT THE JEEP and pull it right on down the road.

Takes us maybe 4 minutes to connect and be ready to roll..
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #6

We have a manual tranny (a proper gear box). This is how we do it:

1. pull up to the tow bar.
2. put transfer case in neutral.
3. test if its transfer case is in neutral. Put in first gear and try to drive off... it should not.
4. Then I park the gear in 5th. So it does not move the tranny around.
5. hook up tow bar, electrical etc... if the jeep needs to be moved, you can roll the wheels of the jeep and position it better...
6. Test the lights, blinkers, brakes etc...
7. Take key out, make sure e-brake is not engaged and lock the door.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #7

You have to be careful making such broad general statements. Although that may be true for most late model Jeeps, there are some years that do require the key to be in the first position to unlock the steering lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
The key issue is always coming up. YES, you can remove your key. You do not have to have the key turned on to tow your Jeep.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow