Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

How to load a car on a two wheel tow dolly by yourself

My wife can no longer assist me in loading our car on our two wheel tow dolly which is being towed behind our motorhome.

I am in immediate need for information, suggestions and or tricks, on how to load my car on to the tow dolly by myself

HELP
EddieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've loaded our car without help. It just takes practice.
You need to learn where the left tire should be placed so that the car is centered. Then make a line on the left ramp. When you pull up, look out the drivers door and line up the mark with the left front tire.
We have a Master Tow with built in ramps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of dolly ?
The "Cartowdolly" has removable ramps, which in my opinion is way too much work.
That's why I dumped it.
My current "Master tow dolly" has fixed ramps and a swivel plate. Much easier to load.
I just line her up on the ramps, get out and check that the car is centered on the ramps, and drive it on.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #4

Setup the dolly for loading, then line up the car to where it's ready to go up the ramps with the wheels straight. Get out and look to see if you're really lined up. If not, try again. Repeat until you're lined up, then drive up on ...
Old 03-17-2021, 02:55 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Prior to taking our dolly on our first trip, I loaded the car in the position I wanted it. Used a neighbor to help position as DW though I was being PIA getting it centered. Once I had it where I wanted it, I marked ramps so I could replicate loading.

Even with the marks, I was off a few loads. Just backed up and did it until i was satisfied it was good and safe.

After a year with dolly we shifted to 4 down. Loading wasn't the whole reason, but it contributed to a lack of joy in getting rigged up to leave CG.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:50 AM   #6

I do as others do, line up square to the ramps, check the tires are centered and drive up.

If its off a little, I turn the steering a bit, backup, turn it the other way and pull foward. You will be surprised how much it moves right or left only driving a few inchs.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:27 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
The only way I was able to do it was to physically stick my head out of the window so I could see the gap between the dolly fender and the front quarter panel of my van. With my right hand on the steering wheel, slowly go up the ramp making micro-adjustments along the way.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #8

I put a strip of duck tape on each ramp where the tires would roll centering the car on the dolly. Then drive up to the ramp, get out of the car to check tires alignment on the strip then drive car onto the dolly. It's a sure thing.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #9

Great advice above. We usually did it as a team, which is a lot faster.

If I had to do it solo it took me a few tries, usually, to get lined up right. Once lined up, you just have to drive on judiciously and feel for the end of the pans that the wheels rest on. This can be a bit tricky, and we've seen people overshoot, dropping the front subframe on the dolly tongue. We were glad we weren't them (smile).

If I were doing this solo all the time, I'd want some visual indication that I was lined up. A fiberglass rod on a spring bolted to the pan in line with the center of the driver's seat would be one way, maybe with a colored dot at the bottom of the windshield to line it up with. For extra credit, you could have the toad bumper hit it when (or just before) the wheels was in the right position in the dolly pan.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Maybe a couple of these or something similar would be helpful?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Tr...-/262472064705
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #11

You could try a small piece of tape at the base of the windshield, a piece of tape on the back of the motorhome. Line these two, the center of the steeringwheel, and your nose as you pull up to the ramps. When you just touch the ramps, get out and see if you are lined up and then drive on.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:40 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One of those cheap back of the door mirrors. in front of dolly.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/33107/10025...d&gclsrc=3p.ds
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:11 AM   #13

Install a mirror on the rear of the motorhome that's aimed so you can see your ramps.

That's what 5th wheel owners use to hitch up. You will have the advantage of facing the mirror.

https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacifi...33402367&psc=1
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly