Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #29

Although I purchase my motorhome fuel at truck stops, preferably Flying J/Pilot, I often tow a boat trailer behind my pickup that severely limits my fueling options.

I just tried the google map approach, and that is spot on. You can select a station based on proximity and maneuvering space with the satellite view, then switch to street view to confirm the pump layout.

I always plan every fuel stop when I am RVing or trailering. I'll be sure to add this resource to my trip planning.

Just for grins, try taking a peek at the FlyingJ in Ruther Glen, VA. They have an RV lane. This you can confirm on their website. They also offer propane and pump-out. However, if you take a peek at the satellite image, you will note that for larger rigs, it can be in a dicey spot. You'd probably be better off at Mr. Fuel next door.

On the other hand, the FlyingJ in Jeffersonton, OH appears quite roomy on the satellite image. The BP on the other side of the highway has plenty of room too. I can attest to the layout of both FlyingJs from personal experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #30

Drive the top half of your fuel tank, then start looking for a "friendly" gas station, one with easy in/easy out.
The old adage of:"plan your stops and stop per your plan" usually works but driving on or near the 1/2 tank refill point helps alleviate worry.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Although I purchase my motorhome fuel at truck stops, preferably Flying J/Pilot, I often tow a boat trailer behind my pickup that severely limits my fueling options.

I just tried the google map approach, and that is spot on. You can select a station based on proximity and maneuvering space with the satellite view, then switch to street view to confirm the pump layout.

I always plan every fuel stop when I am RVing or trailering. I'll be sure to add this resource to my trip planning.

Just for grins, try taking a peek at the FlyingJ in Ruther Glen, VA. They have an RV lane. This you can confirm on their website. They also offer propane and pump-out. However, if you take a peek at the satellite image, you will note that for larger rigs, it can be in a dicey spot. You'd probably be better off at Mr. Fuel next door.

On the other hand, the FlyingJ in Jeffersonton, OH appears quite roomy on the satellite image. The BP on the other side of the highway has plenty of room too. I can attest to the layout of both FlyingJs from personal experience.
Do you mean Jeffersonville oh? Exit 79 on I71?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
... Now we look for Costco's, Fred Meyers, Sams Club etc. we recently used the Costco in San Rafael, CA. It was pretty tight, but Costco has attendants and we have found them to be very helpful getting the MH thru and fueled even during busy hours......
I would LOVE to fuel my motorhome at my local Costco and/or Sams Club stations, but they are not conducive to motorhomes or commercial vehicles in my neck of the woods, (Southern California).

It's not the pump islands themselves. They are generally well spaced from each other. However, the entrance and exits to the stations are designed to restrict and control automobile and small truck traffic.

Costco tends to build their stations with a concrete "office" building too close to allow the motorhome to pull through. And, Sams installs the islands themselves too close to a concrete wall to allow for drive-through access.

If you are lucky, there is usually ONE lane that will work at any station, but then you must compete with the droves of cars to get there.

I find that Pilot truck stop stations work really well, and so do most stations directly off of the Highways or Freeways. If I get into a residential neighborhood, or inner city station it's very unlikely that I will fit, especially with the toad.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #33

I recommend that everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the air brake stuf, maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that.
Some will come back with "I've never had a problem". If they just study the CDL manual they will say "wow, that not only makes sense but makes driving easier and safer". They can shed the fear!
When you can confidently drive in downtown traffic and make the tight corners, or pull up to a standard fuel pump, or back into a space in one shot, etc, it feels very good.
I choose fuel stations based on GasBuddy and Google Earth
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1455666651.387944.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	119212
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:32 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After you get the first 1000 or so miles towing your Toad you will get the feel for it. My wife is always surprised at some of the places I can get in and out of. Just know your rig and always fuel before you stop for the night, and enjoy the road.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I recommend that everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the air brake stuf, maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that.
Some will come back with "I've never had a problem". If they just study the CDL manual they will say "wow, that not only makes sense but makes driving easier and safer". They can shed the fear!
When you can confidently drive in downtown traffic and make the tight corners, or pull up to a standard fuel pump, or back into a space in one shot, etc, it feels very good.
I choose fuel stations based on GasBuddy and Google Earth
Attachment 119212
LOL, Could'nt have found an easier station than that one !

Just noticed, they really changed the back cap in '09. My engine cover is wider. Need a 2 piece ladder due to the cover raising over top of the upper ladder. Taillights on mine are much taller also.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
theres an app for that

I have My pilot, Love's, RV Parky, and rest stops all on my IPhone. Both the loves, My Pilot and rest stops has trip planners that will show you all of the facilities for the app you are using. I do my route on them to see which best match my driving plans. My RV will drive 10 hours on a full tank so half to one-quarter is great time to look for a refuel point. I use google maps and street view as well to look at prospective stops where I feel it may be an issue. The My pilot app will tell you if the station has RV lanes and I try very hard to just plan one of those no matter where it might fit in the overall fuel/travel plan. Love's also has RV lanes and its app will tell you that info as well. I have not used a loves but wouldn't have a problem if I needed to and it was an RV lane station. I have the Flying J card so I use them as much as I can for the 3-5 cents discount. I have been in some tight spots and have had to back a few feet on two occasions with my dolly. One thing on the bounder is, my fuel cap is on the back of the RV, so I have to be able to pull almost 30 feet forward of the pump. Double pump islands are usually a good thing for me.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #37

How to plan for finding toad friendly gas stations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
LOL, Could'nt have found an easier station than that one !

Just noticed, they really changed the back cap in '09. My engine cover is wider. Need a 2 piece ladder due to the cover raising over top of the upper ladder. Taillights on mine are much taller also.

That's the beauty of Google Earth, Bro! Saved 42c/gallon over Loves nex door.
My ladder now a custom job. Is skinnier from a really sturdy pole! Nobody sees my tail lights. Wrangler is tall. Yours have a 1-piece roof too?
Race ya thru downtown Philly!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
Do you mean Jeffersonville oh? Exit 79 on I71?
Yes. My apologies for the mistake.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #39

I am a little late getting back to my own post, but I wanted to thank you all for the awesome suggestions. I honestly had never thought of the "avoid the stations where the pump is perpendicular to the building" rule, but as I thought about it, it completely made sense and have always been the most problematic stations when I wasn't towing. Add in a toad and I honestly don't know how I would get in and out.

The app suggestions and the suggestion to use Google Maps Street View are great also. I can't believe I didn't think of street view myself. I have some of the apps mentioned, but will be downloading the others as well.

As for gas, I usually do start looking when the tank reaches half, so it is good to know that I've been following a general rule of thumb already. I guess as some of you have said already, practice makes perfect. I am not always the most patient person so the thought of potentially having to unhook the toad only to have to hook it up again doesn't sound great, but it sounds like it is a lesson that most people have had to learn themselves, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

Thanks again for all of the great answers. What an incredible community!
smasiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #40

Gulf Streamers Club
All of the suggestions are good, but I'll point out that in the case I mentioned having to unhook to get out, the station didn't show construction on Google Maps Street View. Nothing is perfect, the best laid plans can be messed up with a sudden change. I generally use a Garmin GPS but I've learned it can put you into situations you can't avoid. In Connecticut it was leading us to an interstate. Everything was fine until it said, "Turn right" which happened to be the entrance to a military base. If the guards had allowed it, it would have led us to the other side of the base and right to an entrance ramp to the interstate. The guards didn't allow us to pass, although they did allow us to pass the gate to a spot I could make a U-turn and exit again. After going around the base, we made it to the highway. I've had other Garmin errors, I've learned not to believe it 100%. Just learn to cope and not take it personally.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #41

This is NOT an attempt to highjack this thread but since we're talking about all the "in's and out's" of taking our MH's to these assorted roadside feed stores and filling your MH's bellies with petrol, I thought I'd just mention that all of our MH's overtime will react to what it eats day in and day out. Most of these above mentioned gas feed troughs are not top tiered fuel restaurants for your MH. More like fast food drive thru's with fuel that has low levels of detergency, therefore is cheaper, therefore doesn't keep your engine as clean, preventing buildup and will effect performance over time.

You will not usually notice any performance difference or MPG's between the top tier & bottom feeder gas, but the bottom line is, "Top Tier gasoline is “a higher level of detergency, keeps your engine cleaner, running optimally and prevents build up, therefore keeping your MH healthy and less performance problems as they age.

My 0.2
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, toad