Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
How to value toad additions

I am getting ready to sell my toad, it is set up complete with blue ox, I will include the bar and my brake buddy. My question is what is all that worth over the price of the car? NADA puts value of car at $5,000. with value of base plate, tow bar, light wiring, switch and brake buddy, I'm thinking $6,000 minimum, maybe more like $6,500. Make sense? What are you all thinking?
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #2

Advertise on this site and other places dedicated to RVers. I sold my toad and got 1500 over retail book and I’m sure I would not have gotten that if I sold to someone that wouldn’t be using it as a toad.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Only adds value to someone with an RV. To a non-RV buyer it probably subtracts value.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Only adds value to someone with an RV. To a non-RV buyer it probably subtracts value.

Exactly, On a RV website advertise the equipment. You may get a few hundred extra. On a Non-RV website don't mention the equipment and be prepared to either remove it or take less than value for the car to sell it.

Unfortunately towing equipment only adds value to someone looking for it. Mostly it subtracts from the value, having spent 35+ years in the automotive industry.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You would think there is a large market for toads that are ready to go, but there isn't. There might be if there was one or two dealerships that sold just toad ready used cars. Unfortunately, with very few toads for sale, variety of brands and that they can be a 1000 miles away, it's a tough sell.

I just traded in my 2016 Canyon that was all outfitted. Fortunately, the tow bar and braking system could be moved over to my new truck. I removed the base plates and sold them for $250.00.

It sounds like you might be done with towing, so everything needs to go, but you take a chance scaring a prospective buyer off, if they realize that it's been towed with no way to prove how many miles it was drug around.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #6

If you find a buyer that wants to use it as a toad you will be very lucky. Otherwise just sell the car & the tow equipment separately. Leave the base plate it's worth nothing.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #7

Don is correct. To the non RV buyer, the towing equipment is a negative. To the RV buyer, it "Might" have added value, but they too, would wonder how many miles it has been towed. I think your best bet for getting the most return is to remove all of the added equipment and sell separately. Even then, if the buyer knows the car has been towed, the value to him goes down. I personally feel that at best, a tow package on a vehicle offsets the added mileage it has been towed, and then only to an RVer.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #8

I would try not to let anyone know it was a toad. Get it back to original and dont mention it if you want top dollar. Sell parts on an RV site or as a lat resort ebay.

Thinking of it from the buyers prospective, they have to wan the toad you are selling, not just a toad to go.

BTW, does everyone but me skip the red threadlock on baseplate installation? I can't imagine getting mine off!!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #9

I agree and would think that the toad buying market would be very limited. Sell the vehicle w/o the tow equipment and you will have a larger buying market to sell to.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #10
NXR

It also depends on how old the towing equipment is. Blue Ox supports their stuff for ten years so if yours is on the north side of 5 years I'd be leery of the tow bar at a minimum. If it's only a few years old I'd mention that in the ad.

If your car has special maintenance requirements I'd mention those if they're current. For example, the CR-V needs the transmission and differential fluid changed every 30,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first.

But you never know. Ask what you want and see what happens.

Ray
Old 06-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Only value is to another RVer looking for a tow car. Add on items that are desirable to an RV ...I'd give about a 30% of the original value at the most.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I take really good care of my cars and sell them at around 30000 miles. They have an additional 30000 in towed miles. In order to get premium dollar, I remove all signs that it was ever towed and it sells as a low mileage pristine used car. Then if the base plate can’t be reused on my next toad, I throw it away. I don’t want any liability for the small dollars a used baseplate would bring.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said, if you can sell it on an RV-related site then you can get more for it. If you sell it to the general public you won't get any more. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad